Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Feb 07, 2012

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is an open-world singleplayer RPG with combo-based action and the trappings of an MMORPG. Reckoning is set in Amalur, the same setting as 38 Studios' planned MMO codenamed "Copernicus."

Removing demo timer.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Tennmuerti

Are you are frustrated by the time limit on the demo and want to experience everything it has to offer at your own leisurely pace?
    Then there is a way to disable it. Confirmed by several users on gamefaqsboards.
    Find a barrier in the world that limits the demo and run into it when you have a few seconds left on the timer and the dialogue box for it will override the dialogue box for the end of the demo.
    The demo is still very limited in content, so this isn't a huge hack or anything, it's just a nice thing to have not to be always rushed by the timer and lets you explore the demo area fully.

original finding here:
    http://www.gamespot.com/kingdoms-of-amalur-reckoning/forum/bypass-demo-time-limit-61682307/?page=0

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By EuanDewar

Heh, I remember when this happened with Crackdown 2. The Internet finds a way.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @EuanDewar said:
    Heh, I remember when this happened with Crackdown 2. The Internet finds a way.
    And Just Cause 2 
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#4  Edited By Hailinel

And people wonder why a play limit was placed on the Resident Evil: Revelations demo by Capcom.

Avatar image for thecrookedwarden
    TheCrookedWarden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By TheCrookedWarden

Or you could just find the value in a memory editor and freeze it,

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Tennmuerti

@TheCrookedWarden said:

How is the value represented as?

Minutes and seconds seperately, or is it fully in seconds.

Avatar image for thecrookedwarden
    TheCrookedWarden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TheCrookedWarden

@Tennmuerti said:

@TheCrookedWarden said:

How is the value represented as?

Minutes and seconds seperately, or is it fully in seconds.

As far as I can tell it's in fractions of a second. Easiest way I've found is by searching unknown initial 4 byte value, then check for decreases [of unspecified value] every couple seconds. Should be able to narrow it down to less than 10 in a minute or two. There are two values, one for the in game timer display and one for the actual timer value. Just check for two that share the same first 4 digits [time in seconds left], or at least the first three with the last differing by one [rounded for display].

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

@Hailinel said:

And people wonder why a play limit was placed on the Resident Evil: Revelations demo by Capcom.

Because they're dicks?

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By jakob187

I think limited play time on a demo is fucking stupid. If you are putting out a demo, then people need to see everything that demo has to offer.

When I go buy this game, I'm not going to have a fucking time limit to complete the game. Therefore, I shouldn't have a time limit to complete the demo.

I'm glad someone found a way around it.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#10  Edited By musubi

@jakob187: Its perfectly understandable. If they give you TOO MUCH there may be some people who don't buy the game because the demo gives them just enough to satisfy them. Point in case... Blur. I played the Blur multiplayer demo and LOVED it. So then I decided I was going to go buy the retail game problem was there were more people playing multiplayer on the demo than the actual game because the Blur demo had a hell of a lot of content in it for a demo.

I think its perfectly reasonable for them to put a time limit on it. I mean christ they let you skip the tutorial bit if you want to go straight to the roaming part when you load the demo back up.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Tennmuerti

@Demoskinos said:

@jakob187: Its perfectly understandable. If they give you TOO MUCH there may be some people who don't buy the game because the demo gives them just enough to satisfy them. Point in case... Blur. I played the Blur multiplayer demo and LOVED it. So then I decided I was going to go buy the retail game problem was there were more people playing multiplayer on the demo than the actual game because the Blur demo had a hell of a lot of content in it for a demo.

I think its perfectly reasonable for them to put a time limit on it. I mean christ they let you skip the tutorial bit if you want to go straight to the roaming part when you load the demo back up.

The demo area is already extremely limited.

The only thing time limit in this demo does is annoy you if you are the type of person who likes to take their time in an RPG (which is most people). This is especially bad here since you are always feeling under time preassure and are not going to stop to take in the scenery, and there are some cool looking things in the demo. There are also 2-3 quests toward the end of the demo that are probably the best parts of it, they are actually interesting quests, but due to the time limit most people will not even see them and are left with a worse impression of the game.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By benspyda

Time limit didn't bother me because 45 mins is plenty of time to find out whether you like it or not. I quite enjoyed my time with it and will probably buy it, so it done its job.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

There was a time limit? I just stopped when I exited the place you start at.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By kingzetta

Well I really don't want to play everything in the demo, because I'm just going to have to redo it in two weeks anyways.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Tennmuerti

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

There was a time limit? I just stopped when I exited the place you start at.

There is waaaay more to the demo then the tutorial dungeon.

Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

#16  Edited By Lazyaza

I didn't want to ruin the game for myself so I dicked around for a good 20 minutes. But I guess this is cool for anyone who has no plans on buying the final game but really wants to play just all those starting area things... for some... reason.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Tennmuerti

@Lazyaza said:

I didn't want to ruin the game for myself so I dicked around for a good 20 minutes. But I guess this is cool for anyone who has no plans on buying the final game but really wants to play just all those starting area things... for some... reason.

How would you ruin the game by playing slightly more? The demo area is like 1/20th of the total landmass (if that) :/

And who would really want to play a starting area of an RPG for a long time if they had no intention of buying the game. Sounds insane.

Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

#18  Edited By Lazyaza

@Tennmuerti: I like going in to my rpgs completely fresh and unspoiled. I didn't want to play either the Reckoning or upcoming ME3 demos because I have both games on pre-order and would much rather have experienced 100% of the content for the first time when I actually played the games proper. If not for the bonus content obtained from playing both I wouldn't have bothered. Yes in the overall grand scheme of the games it won't matter much but I can still complain about it =P Just annoys me that I'm practically forced to play demos of things I already want to buy in order to get content for the things I'm buying. Yeah yeah I know blah blah whine whine quit my bitching and just don't play em and deal with missing out on the bonus content but fuck it I just... can't.

phrali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By phrali

this is EA. you all should be glad you don't have to pay 10 bucks for a demo pass.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.