Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Left 4 Dead

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Nov 18, 2008

Left 4 Dead puts players in the role of one of four survivors during a zombie apocalypse. Survivors will depend on co-operation to get from one safe house to another, while facing hordes of "Infected", four of which can be controlled by human players in certain game modes.

Team Killing is there a karmic penalty?

Omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Omega

Me and a friend were playing the demo and decided to open it up to other players.

One of those players thought that all the pills and health packs were his. When I grabbed one he shot me in the back. Killing me. My friend revived me and after calling him an asshole we continued.

A very interesting, and beautiful thing happened. For the remainder of the demo whenever we encountered a hunter, boomer or smoker the TK was targeted exclusively. We could be standing right next to him and it would be him getting dragged away, mauled, or slimed. his angry shouts while we watched him being dragged away to his doom was music to our ears. And for the rest of the demo he let out a satisfying "you gotta be fucking kidding me!" every time we were passed up as targets in favour of him.

Is this piece of karma just a fluke or did valve set the A.I. to favour team killers as a penalty, and a deterrent. If they didn't maybe that could be the way to go in future games. As a less harsh alternative to the boot. Like a first warning.

I know I would find it a more entertaining punishment.

Johnny5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Johnny5

That is pretty interesting. I like the idea of the AI director. I wonder if there really is a karma mechanism

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By pause422

That would be really sweet, I have no idea though...I'm gonna see if I can find any information on this.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Hamz

I don't really know but all i do know is i refuse to res Johnny5 if he clips me one more time with his shots, screw you dude i will not res you :P

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By pause422

Hey hamz, what's your Steam name?

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By PureRok

There are demerits in the game, kind of like the opposite of achievements, that list all of the bad things you've done (how many times you've shot teammates, killed teammates, etc.). They just weren't featured in the demo because there's no point.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Scooper

Hopefully that'll filter out the idiots in the full game but I've got a little problem with it.

Sometimes when I join a random group alot of the new players don't think about their position in correlation to their team mates and alot of time I'll be firing (say down an alleyway towards a horde) and then some guy will just run into my line of fire without thinking and then blame me for friendly firing, and any friendly fire in expert can win or loose a game. Sometimes I'll be firing and someone will just blatently run strait infront of my gun, it's actualy quite annoying... On the other side of the coin you'll have people that go around with a shotgun and hap-hazardly fire on a zombie that's barely visible infront of their team mate's body and blast him instead even though the one next to the zombie could handle the situation fine. Things like that where people just run into your line of fire could be annoying if it blames you for the dude's stupid awareness--I guess you really just need to find a solid team and get to know each others' play-styles.

I can't wait till I get the achievement "complete every level on expert without dieing" which you know'll be in there, that'll be epic.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By breadfan

When me and my friends got together to play the demo we would all kill each other once and a while and it seemed that the last man standing would always get killed immediatly after, so maybe that is true or it could be coincidence.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By jakob187

Dood, with as much action as there is going on-screen, there is no feasible way they could put in a karmic penalty for that shit.  Last night on the demo, I was shooting teammates on accident just because it's tough to focus when 100 undead are flying at everyone!  lol

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By EvilTwin
    Br3adfan said:
    "When me and my friends got together to play the demo we would all kill each other once and a while and it seemed that the last man standing would always get killed immediatly after, so maybe that is true or it could be coincidence."
    I think that's something different.  It is pretty well known by now that the AI director likes to send a hunter or smoker after a lone wolf. 
    momentarylogic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By momentarylogic

I would not only shit my pants, but I would buy 4 copies for that feature.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12  Edited By kush

If that's actually in the game then I would be pretty happy.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0258aaed830
    deactivated-5a0258aaed830

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Judging by what you said in your post, it sounds like there is a penalty for team killing. It would be too much of a coincidence if it wasn't the AI's decision to punish the griefer.

GioVANNI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By GioVANNI

Hmm, maybe it was work of the AI director.

Punishments like that could be a great utilization of the AI Director.  :O

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By daniel_beck_90

Wow , this looks really cool , it gotta be that way
    Ass holes will not be tolerated

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.