Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Legend of Grimrock

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Apr 11, 2012

Legend of Grimrock is a modern take on the first-person dungeon crawler genre. Similar to Dungeon Master and Eye of the Beholder, players progress through the game by descending further into the dungeon whilst solving puzzles and slaying enemies.

What did you think of the ending?

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By FunExplosions

So I know it's been awhile, but I've been curious if anyone else thought the ending was as dumb as I did. Hard to tell if it was intentional, but... a box... who somehow fits perfectly into the game's mechanics... who's entirely out of place with the up-to-that-point universe fiction... who is apparently the last member of a race of super-boxes that dominated the world with their inability to move diagonally? I kinda think the ending soured the experience and ended on a real blunt note. Would have preferred anything else, really; even a stupid dragon.

wat u guys think?

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#2  Edited By BeachThunder

Hm, I thought the cube idea was great, no other kind of enemy would have fitted so perfectly into the grid-based world of Grimrock. You can also tell the game is leading up to the mechanical themed last level by the design of the dream sequences:

No Caption Provided

Also, at this point, dragons in games seem like a disgusting cop-out - along with a whole slew of other generic medieval fantasy enemies. So, in fact, I would probably even go ahead and suggest that the last level was the most inspired part of the game.

Alkaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Alkaiser

Hide your kids, hide your wife... hide your minotaur, cause cube's crushing everybody.

*cough* Yeah, I thought it was goofy as hell. They should've gone all out and had crazy climatic boss music while the cube slowly chugged its way towards you. And it should've had sassier dialogue and some really cheesy bad voice acting. Just a really monotone man going "Don't run. I'm gonna crush the hell out of you. You're totally gonna get the business end of this cube applied to you. Which is all the ends. Because they all crush."

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By FunExplosions

@Alkaiser said:

Hide your kids, hide your wife... hide your minotaur, cause cube's crushing everybody.

*cough* Yeah, I thought it was goofy as hell. They should've gone all out and had crazy climatic boss music while the cube slowly chugged its way towards you. And it should've had sassier dialogue and some really cheesy bad voice acting. Just a really monotone man going "Don't run. I'm gonna crush the hell out of you. You're totally gonna get the business end of this cube applied to you. Which is all the ends. Because they all crush."

Would have been a ton better.

@BeachThunder: Well that's the point: a dragon -- with all its lameness -- would have been more welcome in my opinion.

I guess my take on the entire game was much different than yours. I saw the entire thing a tribute to those classic 3d games, and the enemies all tributes to classical dungeon monsters. So in a way the final boss is kinda like throwing spinners on a 1920s Ford... but way less awesome.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.