Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Madden NFL 12

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Aug 30, 2011

EA's long-running NFL series returns with its 2011 release, Madden NFL 12. It features Cleveland Browns running back Peyton Hillis on the cover, who won as a result of fan voting.

EA's Madden Exclusive Agreement Extended One Year

BradNicholson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By BradNicholson

The NFL labor dispute won’t keep Madden 12 from hitting stores, even if the upcoming season is cancelled as the union and owners battle it out. This same dispute isn’t going to muck up business in the year 2013, either, if a Sports Business Journal Daily report is to be believed. According to this report, EA has received a one-year extension on its exclusive agreement with the NFL extending into 2013, as well as an unspecified bit of financial relief from the nine-figure exclusivity deal as a result of the ongoing labor uncertainty.

The money here is speculative, but as the Sports Journal points out, back in October, The Wall Street Journal reported that EA sought around a 30 million dollar reduction in its dues to the NFL because of the looming labor lockout. Madden, as fans well know, is updated often with roster changes and such, and those offerings will certainly take a hit if no actual NFL games are played in 2012.  

No Caption Provided
    The owners and union mess is hard to break down. In a nutshell, the union wants more money funneled to the players, while the owners want it in their pockets instead. There are also some side issues here, like for example, the NFL’s desire to extend the season to a whopping 18 regulation games instead of the usual 16.

But, really, this doesn’t mean much to the Madden fan--EA has secured another year and there will be a new Madden game in the coming months and on into, at least, 2013. Also, the lock-up of another year of exclusivity means that there’s zero chance a new NFL 2K game will see the light of day within the next couple of years, a bummer for all those 2K5 fans who are still all about that last, great offering.
    BradNicholson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By BradNicholson

The NFL labor dispute won’t keep Madden 12 from hitting stores, even if the upcoming season is cancelled as the union and owners battle it out. This same dispute isn’t going to muck up business in the year 2013, either, if a Sports Business Journal Daily report is to be believed. According to this report, EA has received a one-year extension on its exclusive agreement with the NFL extending into 2013, as well as an unspecified bit of financial relief from the nine-figure exclusivity deal as a result of the ongoing labor uncertainty.

The money here is speculative, but as the Sports Journal points out, back in October, The Wall Street Journal reported that EA sought around a 30 million dollar reduction in its dues to the NFL because of the looming labor lockout. Madden, as fans well know, is updated often with roster changes and such, and those offerings will certainly take a hit if no actual NFL games are played in 2012.  

No Caption Provided
    The owners and union mess is hard to break down. In a nutshell, the union wants more money funneled to the players, while the owners want it in their pockets instead. There are also some side issues here, like for example, the NFL’s desire to extend the season to a whopping 18 regulation games instead of the usual 16.

But, really, this doesn’t mean much to the Madden fan--EA has secured another year and there will be a new Madden game in the coming months and on into, at least, 2013. Also, the lock-up of another year of exclusivity means that there’s zero chance a new NFL 2K game will see the light of day within the next couple of years, a bummer for all those 2K5 fans who are still all about that last, great offering.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5e4c2a5a814e8
    deactivated-5e4c2a5a814e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Great news! 

Edit: Who am I kidding, I don't know the first thing about american footy. First time going for that 'first' quest, and I got it. Woo! 
    Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
    CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

@Nemesis2K: Congrats!
    Keegs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Keegs

Booo!

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By 49th
    @Nemesis2K: Congrats!
    FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By FourWude

Strip EA off the official NFL license and open up the Handeggball videogame market again. It's stale and starting to decline. All due to EA's suffocating monopolistic grip.

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By DoctorWelch

DAMN IT!!!! I cant wait for their stupid contract to run out so that someone else can come in and give madden some competition. From one year to the next the only thing that seems to change in the madden games are the rosters and the fact that game keeps getting more exploitable when it comes to playing it competitively against friends or online. I know no one on GB probably cares, but when you sit down to play a football game and the best plays to pick are screen passes or slant routes and the defense cant to anything to stop it, than thats a pretty shitty replication of football. I just want 2k to come back with their football game and eventually overthrow EA just like they did with basketball.

angelfan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By angelfan91

Fuck that shit.  I want competition between sports game developers. 

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#9  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @Nemesis2K said:
    " Great news!  Edit: Who am I kidding, I don't know the first thing about american footy. First time going for that 'first' quest, and I got it. Woo!  "
    This is actually pretty awful news. I literally still play NFL 2K5 on occasion. That was such a great game, but EA had to buy out the exclusive license. Those monopolizing bastards.
    noby_guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By noby_guy

Fuck you EA! 

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#11  Edited By fox01313

Wouldn't mind someone else getting the license to be able to put some different tech & features in the game. Right now the franchise is like most other sports titles that barely improve all that much from the year before.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Marcsman

Will I ever play an NFL game again?
    jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By jacdg

Haven't played a Madden game yet that I didn't like, so, fine with me.

KnifeySpoony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By KnifeySpoony

Damn it, another couple years of not caring about NFL games.

m0rdr3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By m0rdr3d

Wish this exclusivity deal would end. That deal was a BS move by all involved. It's just one reason I don't buy football games. The interest is there, but I don't want Madden.

JustinSane311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By JustinSane311

NFL 2K2 was one of the best football games ever made. Hopefully after the year EA will lose its exclusive rights to the NFL and SEGA will be able to start making football games again.

masternater27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By masternater27

When this and the baseball license shit expires I'll be a happy sports gamer again.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By ajamafalous
    @FourWude said:
    " Strip EA off the official NFL license and open up the Handeggball videogame market again. It's stale and starting to decline. All due to EA's suffocating monopolistic grip. "
    Truth.
    Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#19  Edited By Vinchenzo

Labor dispute? What's that shit all about? Don't they get enough fucking money?

FesteringNeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20  Edited By FesteringNeon

I really hope that somewhere, somehow 2K is working on a game just waiting until they can release it. (I mean they really do have a ton of time to include a "half time" like show.. week highlights again.. etc.) Man in a perfect world, that'd be awesome.

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#21  Edited By delta_ass

Um, 18 games a season isn't that bad. Just look at how many games baseball teams play.

Kayotix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Kayotix

Football is a contact sport, baseball isnt. An extra 2 games could do alot of dmg to a persons body.
    Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#23  Edited By Sooperspy

I want Backbreaker with the NFL license. Fuck you EA!

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Hunkulese
    @DoctorWelch
    DAMN IT!!!! I cant wait for their stupid contract to run out so that someone else can come in and give madden some competition. From one year to the next the only thing that seems to change in the madden games are the rosters and the fact that game keeps getting more exploitable when it comes to playing it competitively against friends or online. I know no one on GB probably cares, but when you sit down to play a football game and the best plays to pick are screen passes or slant routes and the defense cant to anything to stop it, than thats a pretty shitty replication of football. I just want 2k to come back with their football game and eventually overthrow EA just like they did with basketball.
    They've made significant changes over the last couple years and just because you suck doesn't mean the game is broken. It's really not that hard to stop screens and slants.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Claude

Madden NFL Labor Dispute Version with Lockout DLC confirmed.

smitty86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By smitty86
    @Hunkulese:  But you can see what he is saying though. I didn't buy this last madden but in much of the previous iterations screens/slants were always seen as money play in some fashion. And besides that, any franchise that has a consistent monopoly like EA has will lower their need to change from year to year seeing as they have zero competition. I think even EA fanboys would love having 2k come back especially after the amazing upgrade they accomplished with the nba 2k series this year.  Madden needs someone like that on their tail to get them to step their game back up rather than ride on pretty ho-hum adjustments.
    DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By DukesT3
    @Delta_Ass said:
    " Um, 18 games a season isn't that bad. Just look at how many games baseball teams play. "
    Yeah, just that baseball players don't get their heads ripped off every week. Now if baseball had that? Consider me a fan.  

Also. Fuck. 
    Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#28  Edited By Skald
    @Claude said:
    " Madden NFL Labor Dispute Version with Lockout DLC confirmed. "
    So it's just manager mode without any games to sim through or play? 

My mind is blown.
    MisterMouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#29  Edited By MisterMouse

I want to see another game company do something with the NFL license I am somewhat sick of the madden games.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Claude
    @extremeradical said:
    " @Claude said:
    So it's just manager mode without any games to sim through or play?  My mind is blown. "
    Don't forget you get to see the owners too. Of course you only see them walking away from the negotiating table along with the union reps. It's real time too. You can only play it once a week or so.
    C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By C0V3RT

Really too bad because I felt 2K made the better football game and EA made the better baseball game. With exclusive agreements like this, no one wins except developers.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#32  Edited By Skald
    @Claude said:
    " @extremeradical said:
    " @Claude said:
    So it's just manager mode without any games to sim through or play?  My mind is blown. "
    Don't forget you get to see the owners too. Of course you only see them walking away from the negotiating table along with the union reps. It's real time too. You can only play it once a week or so. "
    And when you aren't negotiating, you can export your GM into Tiger Woods 2012 for the authentic white collar experience.
    grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#33  Edited By grilledcheez

SHIT, hopefully they don't get it renewed and 2k comes back and shows them how the hell it's done

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#34  Edited By TheHBK

Back to updating my 2k5 roster.  How about some Mutant League Football EA?

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Brendan
    @Delta_Ass said:
    " Um, 18 games a season isn't that bad. Just look at how many games baseball teams play. "
    Man, that's a really dumb comment.  Man.
    Condor120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Condor120

so much for a competitive market

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Sambambo

What? No NFL potentially in 2011/2012?

That seems crazy.

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#38  Edited By DoctorWelch
    @Hunkulese said:
    " @DoctorWelch
    They've made significant changes over the last couple years and just because you suck doesn't mean the game is broken. It's really not that hard to stop screens and slants. "
    Well I'm glade you've given your uninformed opinion. In fact, I dont suck and the reason why I am saying this is because its way way too easy to exploit the hell out of the game and destroy everyone online by only running a play or two on both offense and defense. Its also extremely unrealistic when it comes to how actual football is played, and none of the changes they have made over the past 5 years has been anything even close to significant.
    fishless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By fishless
    @JJWeatherman:  Actually it was 2k that was trying for an exclusive. The NFL loved the idea (more $) . The NFL went to EA and told them they had an offer from 2K. EA had to out bid or loose the Madden franchise.  So, they signed a deal and EA had to bite their tongue and take the criticism  or bad mouth the people that they just signed a Jillion dollar deal with. 
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @fishless said:
    " @JJWeatherman:  Actually it was 2k that was trying for an exclusive. The NFL loved the idea (more $) . The NFL went to EA and told them they had an offer from 2K. EA had to out do the bid or loose the Madden franchise.  So, they signed a deal and EA had to bite their tongue and take the criticism  or bad mouth the people that they just signed a Jillion dollar deal with.  "
    Well, first of all, source? 

Second, that would have been AMAZING if 2K got the exclusive license! The only sport EA knows how to make is FIFA, and also NHL as of late. Their NFL and NBA games have always been worse than 2K's.
    fishless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By fishless
    @JJWeatherman:  

Source:  http://www.veoh.com/collection/Master-class/watch/v63914382eKeJf6Q
       (It's @ 2 hr and 8 min mark)  < edited 

On your second point I have no argument.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @fishless said:
    " @JJWeatherman:   Source:  http://www.veoh.com/collection/Master-class/watch/v63914382eKeJf6Q (It's near the end)  On your second point I have no argument. "
    Wow, that video's over 2 hours long. I think I'll just take your word for it.  =P
    Aaron_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 6

#43  Edited By Aaron_G

What a surprise, EA just wants to sell more Madden games to make money and could care less about what happens in the NFL.
    skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#44  Edited By skrutop
    @Vinchenzo said:

" Labor dispute? What's that shit all about? Don't they get enough fucking money? "

Agreed, but if your boss walked up to you and said "I want to reduce your pay.  Also, I need you to work more hours," you'd totally be pissed.  That's sort of what's going on here.

One thing that I do agree with is that the commissioner wants to limit the amount of money that rookies can make (especially those drafted really high in the first round).  Rooks shouldn't make shit until they've proven themselves.
    fazzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By fazzle

Hopefully if 2K can ever get the NFL license back they'll churn out something better than All Pro Football.   Because..yikes.

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#46  Edited By sins_of_mosin

I quite sick of the greed in the NFL on any side.  I hope they do a lock out for a year.  And EA can go suck an egg.    

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.