Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Jun 14, 2011

Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012 is the second downloadable game in the CCG series offers new game modes, Planeswalker opponents, decks, and puzzle challenges.

Blue/Green Deck OP As Hell - Game Still Technically Broken

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By KaosAngel

Sup fools,

Just ate some Arabian bread with yoghurt, but most of you white guys never heard of it...as the vast majority here are not a minority, while I was watching this fat dude on MSNBC talk about stocks and other mumbo-jumbo that most of you aren't interested in. He was talking about how Greece is failing and all that jazz, so it got me thinking about Magic 2012. This game is fucking broken beyond anything but the decks are pretty good...mainly one deck is too fucking OP.

The Blue Green deck is a mana gaining, with at a minimum of turn 5 having at least 8+ lands. After turn 5 you are gaining about 1-2 extra lands PER turn and you will quickly amass an army of mana gaining and then OPed creatures that no one can block by turn 11. How good is the Blue Green deck?

The vast majority of people are using it online. Every game I have played thus far involved 3 out of 4 people using the Blue Green deck. The other decks are alright but the vast mana gaining abilities of this deck makes every other deck futile. You can't fucking win with another deck if you can't win by turn 7.

Once turn 7 hits, you are fucked if you aren't Blue Green.

Some might say that's the advantage for other decks...well the problem is most of the decks aren't made as rushing decks. Most decks also have at a minimum of 2 mana creatures with only 3 decks having 1 mana creatures. The Blue Green outlasts the other decks in post-7 turn games. You can't compete with the mana growth.

Aside from that, for 10 bucks for the newest block set of cards...it's fucking wonderful. I love it.

Game is broken as shit and WoTC need to fix it.

Hit me up on Steam bitches, I gonna show you my mana growth.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

Sounds like you wasted $10.  Think I'll steer clear.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

#3  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Great. So basically is it the new Black/Green or Pure Black (vampire) deck? I admit, as someone who was a closet fan of Duels of the Planeswalkers, I couldn't stand how broken some decks were in comparison to others. It's probably one of the things that killed my enthusiasm for that particular game.

clstirens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By clstirens

I lost my enthusiasm for Magic a while ago. Every new set has a near immediate "ownage" deck build (or two, or three) and everything else is made of dust.  

If you're playing tournament rules, that is.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
    @clstirens said:
    I lost my enthusiasm for Magic a while ago. Every new set has a near immediate "ownage" deck build (or two, or three) and everything else is made of dust.    If you're playing tournament rules, that is.
    Well when playing with others, they usually have sealed deck tournaments, but
    man, I got tired of playing against kids that did nothing but play fucking Magic
    all the time & spend all their money on it.  Even in Sealed Deck tourneys they
    would kick your ass.  You gotta be playing the game all the damn time to be
    any good at it.

I played a lot in the mid 90s when the game came out, but I didn't have the 
    time nor could keep up with it all after that.  Too damned expensive too
    spending money on cards all the damn time.
    clstirens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By clstirens

My thoughts exactly.  It can be fun to play some friends from time to time, but buying and maintaining your deck(s) is a nightmare for your wallet.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By KaosAngel

@Lind_L_Taylor said:

Sounds like you wasted $10. Think I'll steer clear.

No way, I already put 12+ hours into it since launch and been having a blast. The game is a technical mess with a lot of DCs and errors but for the most part it's fun. 2 Headed Giant is more balanced as the other team can usually counter the Blue Green decks.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By KaosAngel

Also a heads up, I mostly play block season with real cards and I fucking hate Type 2 or later. That shit is too much work, and I guess I'm one of the few that doesn't mind pumping about $200 a year for Block Type and then saving the cards in a giant box.

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By buft

I have the original XBLA release and have been thinking about getting this, if its a technical mess i think i should wait a while before i buy it.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By KaosAngel

@buft: It's only Steam Version that's messy. The console versions from what I hear are perfectly fine but it doesn't have as many users as Steam.

WiqidBritt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By WiqidBritt
    @buft: the console version of 2012 is much more stable than the last version was, the only real problems we had tonight was more with my friend's router than the actual game. it'll do the "Game Syncing" sometimes, but unlike in the last game, that doesn't mean that you're about to be kicked out. 

also the online co-op (and two-headed giant) stuff makes it worth a purchase I think, kind of unfortunate that you can't bring in any of the old decks, but the ones that have 'returned' have been tweaked and rebalanced a lot so it's almost kind of understandable
    demarcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By demarcon

blue green deck really isn't that overpowered. If you play a rush deck you can take someone out with a U/G easy. The illusion deck and the elf deck shit all over a U/G deck

HydraHam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By HydraHam

@buft said:

I have the original XBLA release and have been thinking about getting this, if its a technical mess i think i should wait a while before i buy it.

I have yet to find any problems with the console version, the deck isn't that OP. Seems most people just suck at MTG.

deadmoscow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By deadmoscow

B/G deck is rad, but only because it goes for beats as fast as possible, and beats win the game in this version. I really wish this game had a deck editor with ALL the cards in it, it would make online play much, much more interesting.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By Doctorchimp
    @KaosAngel said:

@buft: It's only Steam Version that's messy. The console versions from what I hear are perfectly fine but it doesn't have as many users as Steam.

Are there really that many people on steam?
    Iron_Past

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Iron_Past

People have already stopped using the B/G deck online for the most part, except the ones that actually want to play it. During the first week, when no one was playing tactically or had cards unlocked, B/G was overpowered; now it's just like all the others. Been playing a lot with the Black/Red deck lately, but it's important to note that all the decks are overpowered in their own way--they all have unlockable cards that are downright scary.

Bwast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17  Edited By Bwast
    @deadmoscow said:

I really wish this game had a deck editor with ALL the cards in it, it would make online play much, much more interesting.

That's what I thought the first one was going to be. I was so disappointed.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.