Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Magicka

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Apr 14, 2011

A satirical fantasy action-adventure in which you and up to three friends take on The Forces of Evil by wielding eight elements of magick and combining them in unique ways.

A few Magickal thoughts

HumanityPlague

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By HumanityPlague

Was able to get the game Magicka last night.  An interesting game, so I had a few thoughts on it;

1.  Combining spells/elements is a lot of fun.  Creating some arcane/lightning/fire death-ray is cool.  All the beam stuff works fairly well.
    2.  The beam stuff works well, but it'd be VERY helpful if you could aim better.   If I create an ice beam, I want to be able to aim it down on the lake, to freeze it, not just have it go on till it hits something.
    3.  Online is fucked.   There's no way to really filter games.  Inviting (via Steam) doesn't work, no private games, etc.  What a mess.
    4.  The game runs weird.  On my laptop (2.53 dual core, GTX 260M, 6gb of ram), it ran perfectly fine.   On my desktop (2.0 dual core, GTX 210, 2GB of ram), no mas.  The minimum is 2gb....so....yeah.
    5.  I'm really not sure where the CD key is supposed to go.
    6.  Also not sure where the Steam DLC is.

So, at the moment, the game is a bit fried, but I hope eventually, they can iron out the big bugs, and get it working better.  It's an interesting concept at least.

EDIT:  Forgot one thing, how do you save in the game?  I left the starting area, got outside, walked around, and had to stop playing.  But there's no option to save mid-game, or anything like that.  So, when I reloaded the game, it was back at the beginning.  Kind of odd.

HumanityPlague

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By HumanityPlague

Was able to get the game Magicka last night.  An interesting game, so I had a few thoughts on it;

1.  Combining spells/elements is a lot of fun.  Creating some arcane/lightning/fire death-ray is cool.  All the beam stuff works fairly well.
    2.  The beam stuff works well, but it'd be VERY helpful if you could aim better.   If I create an ice beam, I want to be able to aim it down on the lake, to freeze it, not just have it go on till it hits something.
    3.  Online is fucked.   There's no way to really filter games.  Inviting (via Steam) doesn't work, no private games, etc.  What a mess.
    4.  The game runs weird.  On my laptop (2.53 dual core, GTX 260M, 6gb of ram), it ran perfectly fine.   On my desktop (2.0 dual core, GTX 210, 2GB of ram), no mas.  The minimum is 2gb....so....yeah.
    5.  I'm really not sure where the CD key is supposed to go.
    6.  Also not sure where the Steam DLC is.

So, at the moment, the game is a bit fried, but I hope eventually, they can iron out the big bugs, and get it working better.  It's an interesting concept at least.

EDIT:  Forgot one thing, how do you save in the game?  I left the starting area, got outside, walked around, and had to stop playing.  But there's no option to save mid-game, or anything like that.  So, when I reloaded the game, it was back at the beginning.  Kind of odd.

jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By jorbear

Other than the bugs, this game looks pretty fun. I guess I should try the demo sometime soon...

sunie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By sunie

You need the CD key for access to their forums, you don't have to put it in the game somewhere. 

The DLC (Wizard hat) can be selected on the character screen. When you click on your wizard to change the color of the robes, you can hit the buttons next to the robe to change the outfit to the wizard hat outfit. You get the staff from the rack after you fall into cellar (tutorial area). 

Also, just use a regular (or stacked up) ice spell to freeze lakes and whatnot. The beam makes it an offensive weapon to be used on mobs.

HumanityPlague

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By HumanityPlague
    @Khessed:  Thanks.  A lot of stuff in the game isn't super clear.  Now the game just needs to run better, and I'd be all set.
    sunie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By sunie

They'll be updating the game on several fronts, including multiplayer lobbies, filtering etc. I dunno if they'll do something performance-wise though.

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By emem
    @HumanityPlague said:
    " @Khessed:  Thanks.  A lot of stuff in the game isn't super clear.  Now the game just needs to run better, and I'd be all set. "
    Yeah, the fps are pretty low when everything around you is exploding. :)) It's a great looking game, love how smooth the character animations are.
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By mikemcn

Is it an east bloc game? Can we get Dave on the line?

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#8  Edited By jaqen_hghar
    @Mikemcn: No, it is a Swedish game I think. 

But I would love to see a four-player quicklook on this. The chances for friendly fire rage is stupidly high, and I have a feeling it would be the best QL ever. 

Don't have people to play with, so haven't bought it yet. Tried the demo though, and the magic system is really fun.
    Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Azteck
    @Mikemcn said:
    " Is it an east bloc game? Can we get Dave on the line? "
    It's Swedish, so no. Not eastern block.
    FirePrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By FirePrince

Remember the horrible checkpointing and the cheap deaths. 
    Other than that, It's a pretty fun game.

Sn1PeR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Sn1PeR

Love this game -- best small title in a while.  I do need to figure out a better way to deal with the archers.  My current strategy is to cast a shield, haste on myself, then run up and drop mines on them.  I was able to play a few hours of multiplayer on launch night by just inviting everyone via. Steam itself.  The game has some chop to it in singleplayer, but other than that it's great.  It supports eyefinity out of the box as well - 6048x1080 works perfectly!  The HUD is 1/2 way onto the side screens, but that actually works great for this type of game.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Geno

Haven't run into any bugs yet, it's just the awful performance that is bringing the game down.

nujabes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By nujabes

how have you not run into any bugs? you must not be playing multiplayer. i tried to play the game with two others and the game would just crash randomly, causing us to lose our save. pretty shitty considering how awesome the game is

CrazedMaverick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By CrazedMaverick

This game actually looks like it'd be interesting for awhile. Too bad, my laptop isn't built of even minor gaming. :[

HumanityPlague

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By HumanityPlague

I've ran into a few bugs where the menu doesn't pop up (black screen), multiplayer not working with friends, and the quick-start multiplayer being weird.  I started a lobby for my friend, and a dude entered, yelled for me to "GO!", then left, only to rejoin like 8 times in a row.  I actually don't know why the game requires 2gb though, it doesn't seem that complicated.  If I can run Mass Effect 2 at a decent clip, and NOT Magicka, something might be kind of wrong.  I'm going out on a long shot and guessing ME2 is a slightly more complicated game than Magicka.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By bacongames

How much better is the game in co-op?  I really thought the spell stuff was great, the environments were fine, but the combat was a little clunky when enemies gang up on you and arrows are knocking you around all over the place.  Maybe it's a clunk issue, maybe it's a difficulty issue, maybe it's that I played solo but I feel like the game has potential but the combat was more of a chore than enjoyment.  Anyone else agree?

Avatar image for extreme_popcorn
    Extreme_Popcorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Extreme_Popcorn

I don't know if I love this game or want to burn it with fire. The spell combinations are cool and pretty original even if it just leave to figure out how to use them with trial and error. I was having real trouble with the combat until I read about being able to cast aoe spells. Also the goblin archers can literally go fuck themselves, the knockdowns in the game are just ridiculous and if you get stuck in a corner or surrounded you're pretty much fucked. They also really really really need to put a quick save/load system in because I really cannot be bother to play the entire level over again because checkpoints aren't save points. 

Also it's buggy as fuck.

bmarie82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By bmarie82

I don't think you can save at any point mid level; I was playing with Zommunism over the weekend (on one computer; I used keyboard/mouse he used an xbox pad b/c when we tried to play it shut down the internet on both computers, awesome) and we backed out at one point thinking it autosaved when we checkpointed but no go.  I haven't opened a game since so I think I hope it autosaved at the last chapter start but I don't really know where I am

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.