Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Maniac Mansion: Day of the Tentacle

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Jun 25, 1993

A point-and-click adventure game that follows Bernard Bernoulli, Laverne, and Hoagie as they try to prevent Purple Tentacle from taking over the world.

Is it easy to get stuck on this game?

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I had to use a walkthrough guide to beat the second part of Broken Age.

Do you think that i would get stuck on this game too?

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never played Day of the Tentacle, but if it's anything like Maniac Mansion, then yes. You will get stuck and frequently.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

Quite possibly. When I first played it as a child I got stuck at one specific point and couldn't get past it. It wasn't until I came back and played it again, years later, that I managed to get through the whole thing.

It doesn't do too many really abstract solutions, but a lot of the stuff is quite complex. I'd say it's definitely worth playing, though: for me it's still the very best of that genre.

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By 2HeadedNinja

It's an adventure game. You can an will get stuck, probably several times. The difference between a bad adventure-game and a good adventure-game is if the puzzles are logical and fair. I would say DotT scores in that area. Some of the puzzles might be on the harder side and require a little more thinking but pretty much all of them are fair.

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for your answers.

Once i have noticed that the game has "Object Highlight" i felt as if a huge burden has been lifted from me and i might finally beat a point and click adventure.

I'll play the game while having a walkthrough guide next to me, just in case. Hopefully, i won't need it :)

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By Captain_Insano

My biggest personal problem with adventure game walkthroughs is that, if I cave and use them once, I tend to go to them any time I run in to a 'problem'. DOTT is similar to most adventure games, there's times you will get stuck. Object highlight in the remaster is really useful, see how you go!

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

I never played Day of the Tentacle, but if it's anything like Maniac Mansion, then yes. You will get stuck and frequently.

It's honestly nothing like maniac Mansion, at least in terms of game design. Unlike Maniac Mansion, you cannot die or end up in an unwinnable state.

Also, I'd avoid looking up an actual walkthrough. If you're stuck, UHS is a much better idea.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By hermes

It is an old school adventure game, so yes... you will likely get stuck.

It is a Lucas Arts game, so even when stuck you are not going to get into an unwinnable state or a game over, but games of that era tended to have solutions that were random or required way too much creative thinking... The remake streamlined some elements, so experimentation is not so punishing.

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captain_insano: Same here, and when i beat the game i feel like my whole experience with it was ruined by the guide. However, UHS seems like a great solution for guys like me. Thanks @beachthunder for the heads up!

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

@giant_gamer said:

I had to use a walkthrough guide to beat the second part of Broken Age.

Do you think that i would get stuck on this game too?

It depends on what you mean by "stuck" (I think I know which way you mean, but just in case)...

If you mean stuck as in "I don't know what to do next", then yes. There are some tricky puzzles, if memory serves.

If you mean stuck as in "I did something that I didn't know I wasn't supposed to do and now I literally cannot progress any further with this save file", then no. There MIIIIIGHT be one or two exceptions, but this was well into the period where LucasArts adventures avoided fucking the player over like that. The original Maniac Mansion, on the other hand, was FAR less forgiving in that regard.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

The item highlight helps, but one of the biggest "problems" in this game is the rather unique take on the genre, which is to say: the 3 main characters are stuck in 3 completely different areas. So the old standby of "use every item on every other item on the thing" becomes exponentially more complicated and not really worthwhile.

I'd say play it anyway, and if you wind up needing a walkthrough, just enjoy the superb writing and absurd visual gags.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By whitegreyblack

I cannot recommend UHS-Hints enough when it comes to adventure games. It gently nudges you in the right direction rather than just flat-out telling you the solution to everything (though you can go that deep if you are very stuck).

edit: Whooops, beaththunder beat me to it!

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

UHS is great and I want to see it keep getting fleshed out. I was surprised that Wind Waker wasn't in there. I might start taking notes on games when I consider wanting a hint and see if they're included in UHS to add them.

WillyOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By WillyOD

Finished DOTT about two months ago. Had to look up one thing online. I think it's much more do-able than many other adventure games.

Three characters in different times, there's some inventory hustling involved but other than that the game is still pretty good.

[Edit: I've previously completed the game but that was 10-15 years ago]

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

This game can be obtuse but it has two things going for it:

1) it's nonlinear in a pretty impressive way actually. You may not even notice it when you play through (I didn't playing the game on my own but once I was online reading about it I discovered this).

2) I think the dialogue characters use gives pretty solid tips towards how to solve things.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.