Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mario Party 9

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Mar 02, 2012

Mario Party 9 is the twelfth game in the long-running Nintendo board game series. Wii Party developer NDCube takes over from Hudson, attempting to refresh the series with some significant gameplay changes.

This comes out tomorrow, anybody else getting it?

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By Hizang

So in the UK Mario Party 9 springs it way on to shelfs, it also looks like Mario Party 9 is the last Wii game worth talking about. So is anybody else getting it?

I am getting SSX with it too, but honestly I am more excited for Mario Party 9 over SSX. I'm interested to see the new group car mechanic in action, I also am looking forward to see what lessons they learned from the last game. Seeing as it came out at the start of the Wii's life cycle I wonder how well they know what the Wii can do. The most important thing I want is that I hope they know that just because its on the Wii they don't have to make every Mini game all motion waggling.

Review scores

• Metro - 7/10
    • Official Nintendo Magazine - 86%
    • Nintendo Power - 80%
    • Nintendo Gamer - 80%

The thing that people have been saying is that its a refreshing change to the franchise, so that sounds great.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By big_jon

I have not felt these games since the N64 days.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By Enigma777

Mario Party is one of the worst videogame series ever conceived. It' rather get my testicles squeezed in a vice than buy that shit.

jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By jonnyboy

I went to a party full of plumbers once. Bad Times.

Avatar image for secondpersonshooter
    SecondPersonShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

People who say they don't like Mario Party don't have friends. This is pure fact.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#6  Edited By DarthOrange

No but can I have you nintendo points sheet code?

fugie7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By fugie7

no i am kind of ''partied '' out with game.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By Phatmac

NOPE.

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By SamStrife

Mario Party got stale for me after 3.

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By me3639

Wow, Nintendo keeps putting out those innovative games. Let me guess on some key review phrases, "Its good, more of the same, Nintendo fans will love". Congrats, coming soon...Mario part 10 in HD!

Kandycane2029

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Kandycane2029

They're still making those games?

Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm still waiting for the adult themed game from Nintendo, Mario Key Party.

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#13  Edited By ESREVER

Is it online?

Avatar image for kamikazecaterpillar
    KamikazeCaterpillar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I wouldn't describe any Mario Party game as, "worth talking about."

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Vexxan

Mjeh, I'll wait for the inevitable Mar10 Party,

Contrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Contrarian

@Kandycane2029 said:

They're still making those games?

Yeah, what is with that. Why do they keep making the same games? Call of Duty, Final Fantasy, Morrowind, Halo, Bomberman, Madden, GTA .......... they are just the same game rehashed over and over. Stupid people.

Anyway, I haven't Partied since 5 I think. I would like to get it, but it isn't a full price game for me. They are a lot of fun with friends and family .... if you like that stuff. And yes, I woulf get this over SSX.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By chrissedoff

nop

Avatar image for secondpersonshooter
    SecondPersonShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't understand all the hate for Mario Party. There are not enough games out nowadays that are fun for four people to play sitting in the same room, everything is about online multiplayer and whatnot, but sitting in a room with three other people and playing Mario Party is something that always has appeal.

Since I came to college I've really been falling off on how many video games I play, but what I am playing is literally the original Mario Party and Super Smash Bros. for the N64, because those games hold up and are fun for everybody, even those that are not particularly skillful at video games. I think Mario Party in particular has an ingenious formula, as it mixes luck (the board) with skill (the mini-games) to create a game that good video-game players can feel like the succeed in but amateurs still have a shot at winning and are, as a result, enticed to play.

So yeah, I'm turning into a nintendo family-party-game defender that I probably would have hated a year ago, but really it's all just a matter of perspective. Nintendo does make accessible games, and that is worth something. I think the Mario Party series is something that appeals to everybody.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SlightConfuse

nope games are boring, fortune street looked really neat and the direction they should take.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By Sackmanjones

I couldn't help but notice 3 out of 4 of those reviews a from nintendo

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Chop

Wait, you can play as a Shy Guy or Toad now!?! The last Mario Party I played was 3, so I'm kinda out of the loop here...

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Ravenlight

People still care about Mario Party?

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TheFreeMan

Mario Party and I separated when they stopped letting me choose Donkey Kong as my character.

Perhaps, when it apologizes for it's decision, then we will reconcile...but NOT UNTIL THAT DAY

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Hizang

There is a lot of hate for this game which i understand, people think it's gotten stale. But as a person who follows the series I am really looking forward to the game.

mpgeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By mpgeist

The only reason I'm glad it exists is for the inevitable Game Informer Replay where everyone tells Dan Ryckert to eat shit.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Hizang

Ok so I picked it up today and I feel mixed, because the overall gameplay structure of the game has drastically changed but ultimately its changed it so much It no longer feels like Mario Party. You may say that what changes could they make?

• Mini games no longer happen at the end of every turn, instead they are spaces on the board.
    • You move as a group and follow a path to an end of the board.

These two things - especially the second one - have just changed what this game is, I'm not sure whether I like it or not yet.

Avatar image for xtrememuffinman
    Xtrememuffinman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Xtrememuffinman
    @big_jon said:

I have not felt these games since the N64 days.

Word. I'll play one if a friend has it, but I'm never going to provide nor suggest it.
    SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29  Edited By SpunkyHePanda

I still like Mario Party! This new one looks crazy.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#30  Edited By ProfessorEss

My wife and her girlfriends get together every week to play Mario Party. They've grown a little tired of 8 so lately they've been working on 100%ing New Super Mario Bros Wii but are chomping at the bit to play MP9.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Hizang

Did the TNT make any of you feel the urge to play some Mario Party 9!?

Me Neither...

uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By uniform

I obviously did not watch the TNT. Did the guys seem like they were having a good time? I played one of them (8?) a few weeks ago on the Wii with a few friends, and no hyperbole, it was excruciating. I used to enjoy these games on the N64 while intoxicated with friends. Maybe that's always been a necessary ingredient for me to enjoy these things.

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#33  Edited By WickedCestus

@uniform said:

I obviously did not watch the TNT. Did the guys seem like they were having a good time? I played one of them (8?) a few weeks ago on the Wii with a few friends, and no hyperbole, it was excruciating. I used to enjoy these games on the N64 while intoxicated with friends. Maybe that's always been a necessary ingredient for me to enjoy these things.

They were having a super bad time. They never liked Mario Party to begin with, but as someone who has somehow ended up playing every single game in the series through strange happenstance, I can say that this game doesn't seem like a very good Mario Party. I think the last good one was either 6 or 7 back on the Gamecube, but even those were a bit fishy if you ask me.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Vexxan

Based on what I saw from last night's TNT this is probably the worst Mario Party yet, it just looked terrible.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By TentPole

I think the changes are really good.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#36  Edited By BisonHero

@Hizang said:

Ok so I picked it up today and I feel mixed, because the overall gameplay structure of the game has drastically changed but ultimately its changed it so much It no longer feels like Mario Party. You may say that what changes could they make?

• Mini games no longer happen at the end of every turn, instead they are spaces on the board.
    • You move as a group and follow a path to an end of the board.

These two things - especially the second one - have just changed what this game is, I'm not sure whether I like it or not yet.

(Note: I'm basing my assessment entirely on the TNT, so if the other stages in the game completely shake things up, too bad for Nintendo, I haven't seen those stages)

I agree that they've completely fucked up the "it's a board game" feel by making you all move as a group. I guess it keeps games moving quickly, but what was so bad about a circular board where you could set the number of turns until it ends?

Also, I liked the idea of coins as this secondary resource that enables you to buy Stars, or at least to buy/use items to fuck with other players. It made past Mario Party games feel like you could at least somewhat interact with other players. Now that coins don't exist and the only items are varieties of dice block, the only way to fuck with players is leave them right in front of a bunch of Ztars. I guess that still gives the game some strategy, but it's now THE ONLY FUCKING THING YOU CAN DO to mess with people, and it seems pretty dull that the game is now entirely about curating your own die roll to make sure you gain as many mini-Stars as possible while bringing the next player as closer to Ztars as possible.

The fact that so many turns can go by before a minigame actually happens also lessens the sense of direct competition the game used to have. It's become a game about trying to get exact die rolls, instead of a game about beating other players to the Star's location through trickery and through winning the frequent minigames.

I've played Mario Party 8 at a friend's house a couple of times, and it seems much, much more interesting, relatively speaking.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#37  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Having just seen the TNT, wow. Listen, Mario Party has never been the most interesting of games. It's simplistic, super luck based, is the same game every time and requires either alcohol or irony to enjoy as an adult. But now that they bothered to change it... they made it worse, for basically all the reasons @BisonHero: said. This looks chronically boring, and while the TNT was devoted to them snarking about how they made another one (despite the fact that Mario Party 8 came out in 2007), I feel like they're playing an entirely different game.

Now the first one for the N64... If we want to talk about screwing people over as hard as possible with little hope for recovery, that's the game. Without any of the safety nets present in later installments, you tend to lose or gain a lot of coins very easily.

Shindiggah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#38  Edited By Shindiggah

Last Mario Party I honestly loved was 4, 5 was alright too but I just got sick of them after that, I'll still throw 4 into the wii if I have people over occasionally but that's about the only attention the series gets from me at this point.

Avatar image for fivegreenaliens
    fivegreenaliens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By fivegreenaliens

Last Wii game worth talking about? maybe it's because your in UK and im in US so Xenoblade and The Last Story haven't been released here yet but I'd say those games are much more worthy to be talking about but eh lol

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.