Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Marvel vs. Capcom 2: New Age of Heroes

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Feb 24, 2000

One of the most legendary crossover fighting game series is thrown into high gear with a whopping 56-character roster and new three-on-three tag-team gameplay.

so my husband forced me to get this...

• 55 results
    BoomShanka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BoomShanka

after contemplating between this or mark of the wolves, my spouse pretty much held me up at gun point and forced to buy this seeing as he is a capcom fan boy, and i must say i love this game.

i did play the ps2 version for some time before but i really cant remember this game being as fun as it is, tho i do have one complaint.

that damn cable, he is just a mammoth of destruction its crazy. i don't really have much else to say except for the fact that i cant pull off double or triple team moves to save my life (i forgot how to do them lol) but yea once i get the hang of it again i shall proberly see you guys on line so you can kick my arse. i dont really have a team yet but i do like the speedy characters more. (is it just me or are the SF characters kinda lame in this game???)

anyway great game glad i bought it now :)

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Shadow

up close and personal, cable can't do much of anything.  As for multi-person moves, just press the left and right bumpers at the same time.

BoomShanka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By BoomShanka

aha cheers for that

floodiastus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By floodiastus

2D fighters please die....

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Emilio
    @floodiastus: 
    No u!

I hear all the characters and stuff are unlocked from the get go. If true, that's a huge bummer. :(
    harrisonave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By harrisonave
    @BoomShanka said:
    " i did play the ps2 version for some time before but i really cant remember this game being as fun as it is "
    I remember a lot of people saying that those weren't the best ports of the arcade.  The Dreamcast port is awesome, though.
    dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By dbz1995

Try to find the character that can beat Cable. Every character has one person who can kick their ass-same as every fighting game.

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jeffgoldblum
    @floodiastus said:
    " 2D fighters please die.... "
    Why? Whats wrong with 2D fighters?
    BoomShanka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BoomShanka
    @Artemis_D said:
    " @BoomShanka said:
    " i did play the ps2 version for some time before but i really cant remember this game being as fun as it is "
    I remember a lot of people saying that those weren't the best ports of the arcade.  The Dreamcast port is awesome, though. "
    I never played the Dreamcast version so i wasnt aware. isnt that was the XBL version the port of?
    floodiastus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By floodiastus
    @JeffGoldblum said:
    " @floodiastus said:
    Why? Whats wrong with 2D fighters? "
    Its just more of the same old, the genre never reinvents itself properly whereas 3d fighters have evolved alot since the Toshinden Days. (fight night anyone?) 

I remember playing Samurai Showdown and thinking, boy this genre is going places.... but nothing has happened since then, its another combo-meter here, ex meter here. But not much else.
    DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo
    @floodiastus said:
    " @JeffGoldblum said:
    " @floodiastus said:
    Its just more of the same old, the genre never reinvents itself properly whereas 3d fighters have evolved alot since the Toshinden Days. (fight night anyone?)  I remember playing Samurai Showdown and thinking, boy this genre is going places.... but nothing has happened since then, its another combo-meter here, ex meter here. But not much else. "
    Thats how I see it... fighters need to bring something new to the table... Tekken 6 looks like its going to let me down... same old crap
    Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Bigandtasty

yeah the capcom characters in general are weaker than the marvel characters heh, it's odd

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TheMustacheHero

I played the demo of this which was only 2 player local (wtf?) anyways, I was finally able to pull of a Hadouken (spelling?) with Ryu, I felt so proud :')

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
    @floodiastus said:
    " @JeffGoldblum said:
    " @floodiastus said:
    Its just more of the same old, the genre never reinvents itself properly whereas 3d fighters have evolved alot since the Toshinden Days. (fight night anyone?)  I remember playing Samurai Showdown and thinking, boy this genre is going places.... but nothing has happened since then, its another combo-meter here, ex meter here. But not much else. "
    um...sorry no 3d figthers really HAVEN'T evolved since the toshinden days the same basic concepts in toshinden can be seen in every recent 3d fighter...
    floodiastus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By floodiastus
    @WilliamRLBaker said:
    " @floodiastus said:
    " @JeffGoldblum said:
    " @floodiastus said:
    um...sorry no 3d figthers really HAVEN'T evolved since the toshinden days the same basic concepts in toshinden can be seen in every relol cent 3d fighter... "
    lol whut? You saying toshinden and fight night r4 are similar games? 
    jNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By jNerd

Cable is just a n00b assist character to spam cover-fire. 
    He's a bitch up close if you know how to deal with him (which I don't know how to do effectively, lol). 
    But ya, MvC2 is my favorite 2-D fighter.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By The_A_Drain
    @Shadow said:

"up close and personal, cable can't do much of anything.  As for multi-person moves, just press the left and right bumpers at the same time. "

Wow.. Are you kidding? 

Up close and personal Cable is a BEAST, he has infinite combos, monstrous air combos, ok so he's no Magneto, but dayum he can lay the damage on from almost any range. The only people who don't know how to use him up close are people with no experience with him. I'm not on a brag train here either, I suck with him and cannot do any of his close range trickery, but rest assured he'll eat you alive if the opponent is any good. That's why he is part of almost every competetive team on the books, he's considered one of the four best characters in the entire game. 

Anyway, yes, Cable is a beast, fortunately he's one of my favorite comic book characters so I don't mind :P 

Also, anyone using cables projectile assist is a noob, along with Cammy and... I forgot who else, Cable has one of the best anti-air assists in the game.

It's not quite as simple as rock paper scissors as some people have made out either, there is no one character to my knowledge who deals with cable, much like Magneto, sometimes entire teams are devoted to bringing him down. I would suggest Sentinal or Dr Doom. Or heck, both. Juggernaught dash assist also work very well against, well, anyone. Perosnally I use Cable AA and Juggernaught dash, together they control all but the upper opposite corner, which I control with doom. But if you don't want such a broken team, maybe try someone who is fast and can beat cable up close, there are characters who even with his skills, outrank him up close, like Hayato, Captain Commando, possibly Cap A, Spiderman, Strider etc. If they don't outrank him close up, they can at least stand toe to toe. 

Edit: Magneto eats him alive though, but he's very hard to use properly.
    Metroid545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Metroid545

After all I've heard and seen from this game I must take it for a ride

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By napalm
    @floodiastus said:
    " @JeffGoldblum said:
    " @floodiastus said:
    Oh fuck off with that elitist bullshit. The one thing that keeps things interesting in 2D Fighters is that they keep slightly changing their formula every game or so, while every 10 years or so end up wiping the slate clean and starting off with a slightly new system or reinventing the first.

See: SFIV, KOFXII.
    TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TheHBK

The SF characters are lame.  Just compare them to how awesome they are on the Marvel side.  Sakura?  Really, gimme fucking Storm!  Ryu?  Cable or Spiderman are better.  Cable is pretty much ryu but with way better moves. 

I think the reason you don't remember it being this fun is because you played the PS2 version, which sucked compared to the Dreamcast version, of which this is a port.  So thats why it feels so much better.  Also, the 360 controller is more like the DC one. 

And cable, ah cable.  He has a move for everything.  Just got to keep your distance and block everything hes got or get up close with someone fast. 

As for the triple team moves.  You just press both assist buttons at the same time, to get a triple team, or double team if you only have 2 bars.  Or do one super move after the other, by calling for it before the last one runs out.
    floodiastus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By floodiastus
    @Napalm said:

" @floodiastus said:

" @JeffGoldblum said:

" @floodiastus said:
    Oh fuck off with that elitist bullshit. The one thing that keeps things interesting in 2D Fighters is that they keep slightly changing their formula every game or so, while every 10 years or so end up wiping the slate clean and starting off with a slightly new system or reinventing the first.  See: SFIV, KOFXII. "
    What is elitist about my statement? Fanboy needs to cooldown... 

I belive some of the critique ive been reading about KOFXII is that its pretty much the same old again, and playing the old street fighter versus the new one, sure they have added stuff, but its pretty much the same old still. Whereas there is a huge difference between Tekken, Fight Night, UFC/Def Jam or Power Stone. 

Some people are nostalgic by nature, I aint here to change your opinion :)
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By napalm
    @floodiastus said:
    " @Napalm said:

" @floodiastus said:

" @JeffGoldblum said:

" @floodiastus said:
    Oh fuck off with that elitist bullshit. The one thing that keeps things interesting in 2D Fighters is that they keep slightly changing their formula every game or so, while every 10 years or so end up wiping the slate clean and starting off with a slightly new system or reinventing the first.  See: SFIV, KOFXII. "
    What is elitist about my statement? Fanboy needs to cooldown...  I belive some of the critique ive been reading about KOFXII is that its pretty much the same old again, and playing the old street fighter versus the new one, sure they have added stuff, but its pretty much the same old still. Whereas there is a huge difference between Tekken, Fight Night, UFC/Def Jam or Power Stone.  Some people are nostalgic by nature, I aint here to change your opinion :) "
    You must not know much about 2D fighting games or their fans. If you want radical gameplay changes, play a 3rd person shooter. Fighting game fans are completely satisfied with solid and fun gameplay. It's has absolutely nothing to do with being nostalgic. Your head is just up your own ass.

Well, Tekken and Fight Night blow chunks.
    floodiastus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By floodiastus
    @Napalm said:
    " @floodiastus said:
    " @Napalm said:

" @floodiastus said:

" @JeffGoldblum said:

" @floodiastus said:
    What is elitist about my statement? Fanboy needs to cooldown...  I belive some of the critique ive been reading about KOFXII is that its pretty much the same old again, and playing the old street fighter versus the new one, sure they have added stuff, but its pretty much the same old still. Whereas there is a huge difference between Tekken, Fight Night, UFC/Def Jam or Power Stone.  Some people are nostalgic by nature, I aint here to change your opinion :) "
    You must not know much about 2D fighting games or their fans. If you want radical gameplay changes, play a 3rd person shooter. Fighting game fans are completely satisfied with solid and fun gameplay. It's has absolutely nothing to do with being nostalgic. Your head is just up your own ass. Well, Tekken and Fight Night blow chunks. "
    I am a fighting game fan and am not satisfied with the lack of imagination in the current generation of 2d fighting games so. 
    Regardless if you like tekken or fight night, they are very different from each other, 3d fighters keep evolving, 2d fighter don't seem to evolve too much, and I think thats sad, cuz I played alot of 2d fighting games back in the day.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Al3xand3r

Garou is so good... Don't listen to your husband.

ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ZombieHunterOG
    @Al3xand3r said:
    " Garou is so good... Don't listen to your husband. "
    its not better the MvsC2 though
    WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

The place of the wife.
    To blame the husband for every thing, you know you wanted this game.

sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By sickVisionz

I agree that all the SF characters are kinda cornballs.  The Marvel or non-SF Capcom characters have the coolest looking moves and the most interesting play styles imo.

@Floodius...

You're comparing a fighting game and a boxing game and being shocked that they don't play the same.  You're ignoring every other traditional 3d fighter, which all play about as similar to each other as 2d fighters, to find one far fetched example that isn't even in the same genre.

Not to mention that this thread doesn't have anything to do with 2D vs 3D fighters yet you seem determined to turn it into that.  Why are you even on the Marvel vs Capcom 2 (which plays radically different than pretty much every other 2d fighter outside of the fact that you attack people to defeat them) if you hate the genre so much?

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cable is really powerful, but I'm guilty of babying him, so I can't complain.  

There are tiers organized on a number of websites outlining the characters in terms of overall effectiveness. Supposedly, top-ranked tournament players seem to agree that Magneto, Sentinel, Storm, and Doom are the most powerful in the game. And that the Street Fighter characters are mostly on the lower end of the spectrum.  

Shame, because I love using the Ryu/Ken crowd.
    sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By sickVisionz

^ You can still use the SF characters.  Just don't play the game based solely off of tiers.  That's the lamest way imo.  Plus, a victory doesn't mean much if you go out of your way to choose a team that has a major advantage over the other person's.  And if you lose... jesus, you're the worst frickin player in the world since you played with some team that's almost like changing the handicap settings to your advantage.

Slayeric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Slayeric
    @sickVisionz: Exactly. The best way, for me personally, is to play this game based off of what I think would be the awesomest pairing I  can cook up at that momment in time. I just love the crazy of this game and how it embracess it's own nonsense.
    GreasyTayTay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By GreasyTayTay

If you're looking for innovation this is not the game for it. This comes from the string of SF offshoots where they just descided to keep making things faster rather then taking and decisive steps forward. The team fighter was done and redone before this, and they just added a huge cast (which is not really ballanced), made it three character teams and made it faster. That being said I do enjoy this game, I do find it very shallow. This game is like sitting into a bag of chips where as SFIII (YES, III and NOT IV) is your steak. This is an excellent game, but it's nothing too special. 

I far prefer 2d fighters to 3d... I just enjoy how technical some of these games can get (not MvC2) without needing to get into some of the rather overblow technical stuff (VF5)

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#32  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @floodiastus said:

I'm sorry but your argument is completely invalid...look at Soul Caliber series there at SoCal 4 now ...annnnd its the same.

2-D fighters will always be just that 2-D fighters there's not a whole lot they can do that would not seem tacked on or dumb. Besides if your not buying a fighting game for the core fighting system then maybe if fighting games arnt for you...it shouldn't matter that they don't add a ton of new crap each iteration as long as the fighting is fun and balanced.
    c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By c1337us
    @Emilio said:
    " @floodiastus:  No u!   I hear all the characters and stuff are unlocked from the get go. If true, that's a huge bummer. :( "
    No way thats a bummer. I hate having to unlock everyone in a fighting game.
    GreasyTayTay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By GreasyTayTay

Now that I think about it fans of 2d fighters seem to be against change usually, makes innovation hard. Case and point is SF III, it was an enormous flop to begin with because of how innovative it was. With SFIV they had every reason to stick to the formula as much as possible, and that's what they did. If the 2d fighter community truly wanted innovation we would all be talking about BlazBlue, talk about new and interesting. However I even hold the same thing against it, it's not Street Fighter and that means I have to learn new things. (Though I will be all over it once it becomes widely available in Canada)

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Emilio
    @c1337us: 
     That's because you're a weener face.
    That means that I have to pay 15 dollars for a game with nothing to play for ( vs matches online? puh leese ).
    ThePhenomenal1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ThePhenomenal1
    @floodiastus said:
    " @JeffGoldblum said:
    " @floodiastus said:

fighting games always innovate on a iterative basis. you can never reinvent the entire genre in one go. series like mortal kombat have tried to make major innovations within small time frames and have been hit or miss, whereas street fighter and king of fighters innovate over a long period of time.

lets look at street fighter II alone. over its iterations, the concepts of cancels, links, juggles, super arts, performing moves in air, crossups, tick throws, and numerous changes to character movesets for balancing and gameplay purposes were all conceived and worked upon from World Warrior to Super Turbo.

that doesn't even touch all the ideas that were brought to the table throughout the alpha, VS, and Third series.

to say there hasn't been innovation in the fighting game genre shows lack of knowlege and understanding of how fighting games work. i've only touched upon capcom's offerings. theres even more original ideas and concepts that have come from many other fighting game franchises to go into.
    floodiastus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By floodiastus
    @ThePhenomenal1 said:
    " @floodiastus said:
    " @JeffGoldblum said:
    " @floodiastus said:

fighting games always innovate on a iterative basis. you can never reinvent the entire genre in one go. series like mortal kombat have tried to make major innovations within small time frames and have been hit or miss, whereas street fighter and king of fighters innovate over a long period of time.

lets look at street fighter II alone. over its iterations, the concepts of cancels, links, juggles, super arts, performing moves in air, crossups, tick throws, and numerous changes to character movesets for balancing and gameplay purposes were all conceived and worked upon from World Warrior to Super Turbo.

that doesn't even touch all the ideas that were brought to the table throughout the alpha, VS, and Third series.   to say there hasn't been innovation in the fighting game genre shows lack of knowlege and understanding of how fighting games work. i've only touched upon capcom's offerings. theres even more original ideas and concepts that have come from many other fighting game franchises to go into. "
    I never said there were NO innovation, im saying that there is alot less innovation in 2D fighting games, The biggest difference in 2D fighters ever are Street Fighter Versus Punch Out, and those 2 games are ancient now. 

My point being that there is alot more innovation going on in the 3D fighting game market, powerstone was a huge difference to tekken, fight night totally redid the controls for how fighting games could be played, whereas 2D fighters are still using the digipad.... / Stick.
    jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By jeffgoldblum
    @floodiastus said:

" I never said there were NO innovation, im saying that there is alot less innovation in 2D fighting games, The biggest difference in 2D fighters ever are Street Fighter Versus Punch Out, and those 2 games are ancient now.  My point being that there is alot more innovation going on in the 3D fighting game market, powerstone was a huge difference to tekken, fight night totally redid the controls for how fighting games could be played, whereas 2D fighters are still using the digipad.... / Stick. "

Dude are you kidding. You said there was no innovation heres the quote:
    @floodiastus said:
    " Its just more of the same old, the genre never reinvents itself 
    floodiastus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By floodiastus
    @JeffGoldblum said:
    " @floodiastus said:

" I never said there were NO innovation, im saying that there is alot less innovation in 2D fighting games, The biggest difference in 2D fighters ever are Street Fighter Versus Punch Out, and those 2 games are ancient now.  My point being that there is alot more innovation going on in the 3D fighting game market, powerstone was a huge difference to tekken, fight night totally redid the controls for how fighting games could be played, whereas 2D fighters are still using the digipad.... / Stick. "

Dude are you kidding. You said there was no innovation heres the quote:
    @floodiastus said:
    " Its just more of the same old, the genre never reinvents itself 
    "
    Wow, english is just my secondary language and still I know the difference between innovation and reinvention..... 
    BoomShanka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By BoomShanka
    @WilliamRLBaker said:
    " The place of the wife. To blame the husband for every thing, you know you wanted this game. "
    lol i'm not complaining i got my garou in the end anyway, 

after spending pretty much all day solid on this i think the craziness has gone to my head, its a tiring game i'll give it that. 
    still not great though but at least I can say with great confidence that i have perfected the art of kicking the shit out of my husbands cable with my super team of spidey, wolverine and ken (yup i use ken from time to time) 

as for teir lists personaly i dont care about those, i am all for making up teams the more odd ball the better even if the characters are god awful ill through them in there just for epilepsy purposes.
    ThePhenomenal1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ThePhenomenal1
    @floodiastus: 

the thing is though, fightings games really don't need to reinvent themselves. its never going to be the mass market casual friendly genre that everyone wants it to be. with the big exception of smash bros. (which i don't really consider a true fighting game), its always going to be the hardcore tournament focused players or the online scrubs who think they have the skills for kills because they learned something that works in a lag-centric setting. fight night is a boxing game. yea its been incredibly innovative as far as BOXING games go. its not a real fighting game though. so it undergoes a completely different design process.

your original argument came in the form of 3d fighters. so i ask you, what have they done in the past 15 years that is a credit to the genre that extends past adding swords and titty physics? i'm pretty sure there must be something there, but i can't for the life of me think of something that sticks.
    ThePhenomenal1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ThePhenomenal1
    @BoomShanka said:
    " @WilliamRLBaker said:
    " The place of the wife. To blame the husband for every thing, you know you wanted this game. "
    lol i'm not complaining i got my garou in the end anyway,   after spending pretty much all day solid on this i think the craziness has gone to my head, its a tiring game i'll give it that.  still not great though but at least I can say with great confidence that i have perfected the art of kicking the shit out of my husbands cable with my super team of spidey, wolverine and ken (yup i use ken from time to time)   as for teir lists personaly i dont care about those, i am all for making up teams the more odd ball the better even if the characters are god awful ill through them in there just for epilepsy purposes. "

not to be an asshole or anything since this was your topic that i never even touched on in the discussion i was having, but....

where do i meet women like you? i for one have never come across a woman so awsome that she would play fighting games with me.
    BoomShanka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By BoomShanka

I've been playing games since I was young. couldn't tell you why i just seemed to be drawn towards them, never pirticually get to any level of greatness but i only play to enjoy, i find that if i get too competetive like say on CoD 4 i get pissed off and lose any fun factor I had thought that game had.

thats why i hardly play fighters online i gave sfIV a go and had a small spell where i won 14 or somthing matches on the trot and then i just got arse raped from then on and stopped enjoying it to the point that i traded the game in.

floodiastus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By floodiastus
    @ThePhenomenal1 said:
    " @floodiastus: 

the thing is though, fightings games really don't need to reinvent themselves. its never going to be the mass market casual friendly genre that everyone wants it to be. with the big exception of smash bros. (which i don't really consider a true fighting game), its always going to be the hardcore tournament focused players or the online scrubs who think they have the skills for kills because they learned something that works in a lag-centric setting. fight night is a boxing game. yea its been incredibly innovative as far as BOXING games go. its not a real fighting game though. so it undergoes a completely different design process.

your original argument came in the form of 3d fighters. so i ask you, what have they done in the past 15 years that is a credit to the genre that extends past adding swords and titty physics? i'm pretty sure there must be something there, but i can't for the life of me think of something that sticks. "
    UFC has a totally different control scheme and groundgame 
    Dead or Alive brought interactivity to stages 
    Def Jam brought rhytm-fighting and also interactive stages 
    PowerStone brought real free-roam, multi-stages, weapon pickups and 4 player matches  
    Toshinden actually brought 3d-field of movent which tekken didnt have. 
    Fight Night brought the analogue Controls. 

Whereass 2D fighter still uses the D-pad/Stick, usually 3-4 buttons. And the graphics still is utlized in exactly the same way in every game. When the 2D fighting games were kind of new there were innovation, like Art of Fighting zoomed into the sprites to give you a sense of depth, showdown brought weapons (which sure is standard in its own right now), punch out brought a new perspective (which isnt used anymore in 2d fighters/boxers), but since then not much has really happened. It's like every new 2D fighter is a copy of guilty gears/street fighter/king of fighters. 

Just my 2 cents
    Kraylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Kraylor
    @BoomShanka said:

" @WilliamRLBaker said:

lol i'm not complaining i got my garou in the end anyway,
     Hawt.

@floodiastus: You keep bringing up titles that aren't exactly fighting games. UFC is an MMA-sim (not to mention these have been around since the Dreamcast days), Def-Jam is a Wrestling game (though the series has evolved into something that resembles a power stone-like fighter), and Fight Night is a boxing game (and while boxing is technically fighting, it's probably more akin to the MMA-type stuff than anything resembling the average person's idea of a fighting game). 

The other stuff is a semi-decent point, but it doesn't take away from the fact that 2D fighters do innovate (please don't argue the semantics), but at a much slower rate. 2D Fighting games as we know them have been around for something like 25 years, including those few years where the genre was pretty much dead (though that dead period may apply to the 3D fighters as well, I'm not so involved in this as to have a few wikipedia tabs open). The 3D stuff is a good bit younger, and being more recent, is probably easier to track the growth of the genre, whereas a lot of the stuff we dismiss as necessities in 2D fighters today, were definitely fresh additions to some games way back when (for example, Karate Champ, which didn't have health bars or combos).
    NinjaHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By NinjaHunter
    @floodiastus said:
    " @ThePhenomenal1 said:
    " @floodiastus: 

your original argument came in the form of 3d fighters. so i ask you, what have they done in the past 15 years that is a credit to the genre that extends past adding swords and titty physics? i'm pretty sure there must be something there, but i can't for the life of me think of something that sticks. "
    UFC has a totally different control scheme and groundgame Dead or Alive brought interactivity to stages Def Jam brought rhytm-fighting and also interactive stages PowerStone brought real free-roam, multi-stages, weapon pickups and 4 player matches  Toshinden actually brought 3d-field of movent which tekken didnt have. Fight Night brought the analogue Controls.  Whereass 2D fighter still uses the D-pad/Stick, usually 3-4 buttons. And the graphics still is utlized in exactly the same way in every game. When the 2D fighting games were kind of new there were innovation, like Art of Fighting zoomed into the sprites to give you a sense of depth, showdown brought weapons (which sure is standard in its own right now), punch out brought a new perspective (which isnt used anymore in 2d fighters/boxers), but since then not much has really happened. It's like every new 2D fighter is a copy of guilty gears/street fighter/king of fighters.   Just my 2 cents "
    The Power Stone and Toshinden examples are the only ones that work for this argument. As stated before UFC, Fightnight and Def Jam aren't really fighting games. And as for DOA bringing interactivity to stages in fighting games, it could be argued that Street Fighter 2 did that.
    ThePhenomenal1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ThePhenomenal1
    @NinjaHunter: 

ok you're right about that. never thought about powerstone and toshinden.
    sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#48  Edited By sjschmidt93
    @floodiastus:  

No.
    floodiastus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By floodiastus
    @NinjaHunter said:
    " @floodiastus said:
    " @ThePhenomenal1 said:
    " @floodiastus: 

UFC has a totally different control scheme and groundgame Dead or Alive brought interactivity to stages Def Jam brought rhytm-fighting and also interactive stages PowerStone brought real free-roam, multi-stages, weapon pickups and 4 player matches  Toshinden actually brought 3d-field of movent which tekken didnt have. Fight Night brought the analogue Controls.  Whereass 2D fighter still uses the D-pad/Stick, usually 3-4 buttons. And the graphics still is utlized in exactly the same way in every game. When the 2D fighting games were kind of new there were innovation, like Art of Fighting zoomed into the sprites to give you a sense of depth, showdown brought weapons (which sure is standard in its own right now), punch out brought a new perspective (which isnt used anymore in 2d fighters/boxers), but since then not much has really happened. It's like every new 2D fighter is a copy of guilty gears/street fighter/king of fighters.   Just my 2 cents "
    The Power Stone and Toshinden examples are the only ones that work for this argument. As stated before UFC, Fightnight and Def Jam aren't really fighting games. And as for DOA bringing interactivity to stages in fighting games, it could be argued that Street Fighter 2 did that. "
    Why wouldnt def jam be a fighting game, because you can throw people (like in any 2D fighter), the latest Def Jam game was not a wrestling game.  DOAs stage interactivity is something completely more evolved than that of street fighter 2 innit ;)

I would say 2D fighting games evolved this way: 
    Exploding Fist ->  Street Fighter -> new gen (guilty gear etc) 

Dont get me wrong, I would be more than happy if 2D fighters started bringing something new and fresh to the table, but I have been very let down by the recent releases the past years, we got the technology now to do insane things with 2D graphics, but I just see the same old game with different skins.....  

Thing is, 2D fighterfans are known for being nostalgic and defensive of their nostalgia, so I dont see this argument going anywhere constructive :)
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Al3xand3r

Um, breaking through a wall or whatever in DOA is just eye candy, nothing more. As for the walls in some stages, Virtua Fighter did that first. It also didn't keep it for a reason as it actually makes gameplay worse. Tekken tried it and soon ditched it also. DOA is basically a VF clone with a twist here and there (counter button instead of guard button), bringing it up as innovative isn't doing your point any favors. Also, Toshinden may have had 3d movement (was it more than Virtua Fighter's or Soul Blade's side steps?), but it was a pretty bad franchise... I'd only really bring up PowerStone and Bushido Blade as bringing something new to the genre, but they're also pretty old themselves now, especially Bushido Blade (we need a sequel more akin to the first than the second, stat). Power stone is also not a very deep/serious fighter (but is still a ton of fun).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.