Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Feb 15, 2011

After a decade-long hiatus, Marvel vs. Capcom 3 continues the popular crossover fighting game series characterized by fast-paced gameplay, complex tag teams, and elaborate combos.

No viewable lobbies? Is Capcom stupid or just lazy?

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By SpaceInsomniac
    SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

Taken from the EuroGamer review: 

Sadly, while there are areas in which the game improves upon Super Street Fighter IV's online modes, in most others it falls short. While lobbies are included, allowing players to gather and play-winner-stays-on round robins,  inexplicably you cannot watch other players' matches while you wait your turn. As the point of lobbies is to offer a communal arena in which to cheer and jeer your friends and, perhaps more importantly, learn tips and techniques from your betters, the exclusion of viewable matches is a serious shortcoming.    

This is completely inexcusable.
    pepsipat1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By pepsipat1

They probably should of made viewable lobbies a priority. It probably wont be fixed until Captivate 2011.
    Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Pessh

Are you stupid or just lazy? This is weeks old news, there's even a thread on it. If the games playable the higher ups want it out, they're not going to wait for minor shit like this, and they've already said it's something they'll look into patching.

Lock please.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ea641329300b
    deactivated-5ea641329300b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I heard that it'll be patched in at some point. I don't play in endless battle  lobbies or whatever they're calling it now so as long as there is a 1v1 ranked match lobby, I'm happy.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Cloudenvy
    @xSUFFOKATEx said:

" I heard that it'll be patched in at some point. I don't play in endless battle  lobbies or whatever they're calling it now so as long as there is a 1v1 ranked match lobby, I'm happy. "

Pretty much this, in my case. 

Would've been a neat addition? sure, but it not being there is not going to make me think less of the game due to reasons stated above : ).
    ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ch3burashka

Although it's a bit harsh to claim it's either one extreme or the other, it'd definitely say it's in the "stupid" category. It's become increasingly obvious that Japanese developers and Western developers understand things very differently - Capcom especially has made this fact abundantly clear, what with the multitude of issues that Western audiences found in Dead Rising 1 and 2 and Lost Planet 2. I wouldn't say they're "stupid", they just didn't anticipate a demand for it because standards and practices are most likely different in Japan.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SpaceInsomniac
    @Pessh said:

" Are you stupid or just lazy? This is weeks old news, there's even a thread on it. If the games playable the higher ups want it out, they're not going to wait for minor shit like this, and they've already said it's something they'll look into patching.  Lock please. "

1) There's no need for personal attacks. 

2) This is news to me, and a search for "lobby" or "lobbies" on this forum turned up nothing on the subject. 

3) This "minor shit" is going to cost Capcom review points and sales.  They shouldn't be releasing the game without a feature that is considered standard for the genre these days.  It's ridiculous that they still haven't learned better after the original Street Fighter IV.  Why are we going backwards here? 

@CH3BURASHKA said: 

" Although it's a bit harsh to claim it's either one extreme or the other, it'd definitely say it's in the "stupid" category. It's become increasingly obvious that Japanese developers and Western developers understand things very differently - Capcom especially has made this fact abundantly clear, what with the multitude of issues that Western audiences found in Dead Rising 1 and 2 and Lost Planet 2. I wouldn't say they're "stupid", they just didn't anticipate a demand for it because standards and practices are most likely different in Japan. "

That was my vote as well.  They're not lazy because they've done proper online before.  They're stupid for completely underestimating in importance of a feature that is found in nearly every other tournament fighting game available these days, from 60 dollar retail titles to 10 dollar downloadable games.  Yes, my wording is a bit harsh, but so is Capcom releasing a full-priced retail tournament fighter in 2011 without a proper online component.
    Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Pessh
    handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By handlas

again..

so it will be in Super Marvel vs Capcom 3.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @handlas said:

" again..  so it will be in Super Marvel vs Capcom 3. "

Yeah perhaps a third option of "smart" would be applicable here. They know all too well that they can make more money by saving a handful of popular features and characters for a "Super" version.

Develop one game, sell it twice. It seems to work every time with very little to no backlash so why would they not?
    Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Raven10

I would say they are smart. Now they can call it DLC and charge you $10 for it. Oh wait this isn't an EA game...

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SpaceInsomniac
    @Pessh said:
    " They said back in August not to expect anything beyond what was in vanilla in terms of online modes

Here's mine, pretty sure another dude made the same thread too not long after "
    Well, I guess I should have searched for "endless bummer" instead of "lobbies".  Seriously though, I'll admit I seem to be late to the party here.  I just wanted to vent about the issue and make sure others were warned before they bought the game.   

I know if I bought this game tomorrow and found out I couldn't enjoy it with a couple of friends, I'd be fairly pissed.  For now, I'll just have to wait for a patch before buying.
    handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By handlas
    @ProfessorEss said:
    " @handlas said:

" again..  so it will be in Super Marvel vs Capcom 3. "

Yeah perhaps a third option of "smart" would be applicable here. They know all too well that they can make more money by saving a handful of popular features and characters for a "Super" version.  Develop one game, sell it twice. It seems to work every time with very little to no backlash so why would they not? "
    welp I did buy both of them.  Smart for them; annoying for me.
    benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#15  Edited By benpack
    @SpaceInsomniac said:
    I know if I bought this game tomorrow and found out I couldn't enjoy it with a couple of friends, I'd be fairly pissed.  For now, I'll just have to wait for a patch before buying. "
    You can still play with friends...
    Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@GlenTennis said:
    " @SpaceInsomniac said:
    I know if I bought this game tomorrow and found out I couldn't enjoy it with a couple of friends, I'd be fairly pissed.  For now, I'll just have to wait for a patch before buying. "
    You can still play with friends... "
    He said enjoy. 

Releasing a fighting-game in 2011, whose quarter match does not allow for spectating is bordering on retarded.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5e4c09d3ba1b3
    deactivated-5e4c09d3ba1b3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

After playing for 10 hours, I (obviously) quite like it, but it DOES feel like a "vanilla" version of something that will come out later. 

Right now, you watch the player's battle cards kinda...well, it looks like their humping each other, while the match goes on. Hopefully they patch this in.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @GetEveryone said:

" @GlenTennis said:

" @SpaceInsomniac said:
    He said enjoy.
    haha, well played :)
    Avatar image for lordcmdrstryker
    LordCmdrStryker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By LordCmdrStryker
    @Pessh: You sure bitch a lot about locking threads in this forum.  You crown yourself King of the Internet because seemingly every other post in here is yours?
    Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Pessh
    @LordCmdrStryker: Just about old shit which there is already countless threads on.
    Avatar image for killroycantkill
    killroycantkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#21  Edited By killroycantkill

Where's the option for "Not a big deal since they're going to patch it"?
    Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Zippedbinders

I only really end up playing against one friend at a time, this is a non issue for me.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Jeffsekai

The people on this site are retarded. They already said they were going to add it in...

Avatar image for favoritobandito
    FavoritoBandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By FavoritoBandito
    @Cloudenvy said:
    " @xSUFFOKATEx said:

" I heard that it'll be patched in at some point. I don't play in endless battle  lobbies or whatever they're calling it now so as long as there is a 1v1 ranked match lobby, I'm happy. "

Pretty much this, in my case.  Would've been a neat addition? sure, but it not being there is not going to make me think less of the game due to reasons stated above : ). "
    Exactly, it's not a game breaker.  Even if they don't manage to patch it the actual multi-player game is the same.
    zidane_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By zidane_24

Didn't they say a long time ago that it was gonna be patched in? I'm not that bothered. I don't really pay a lot of attention when two of my friends are fighting anyway. 

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By DrPockets000

Shit, now I have to be productive while I'm waiting.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#27  Edited By OllyOxenFree
    @Jeffsekai said:
    " The people on this site are retarded. They already said they were going to add it in... "
    Took the words right out of my mouth. Delicious.
    Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#28  Edited By Emilio

Just wait for Super Marvel Vs Capcom 3

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29  Edited By JJOR64
    @Emilio said:
    " Just wait for Super Marvel Vs Capcom 3 "
    If they make that, it probably wont be out for at least a year or two.
    Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Gaff

To be fair, anyone who has spectated in either SF4 or SSF4 has probably seen how janky it could get: chat freezing, lag, errors, etc.

I don't miss it.

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By mnzy

Adding it later at some point is really lame. They can be happy they are making games that people play for years and they actually get the chance to patch it so that people still care at that moment in time.
    Most games hit their prime in the earliest days after release, this is when people pay and when the game should be finished.

In no other industry would this behaviour be accepted. Nobody would buy a car if the dealer told you "yeah, that second seat will arrive in 2 months".

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#32  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @JJOR64 said:
    " @Emilio said:
    If they make that, it probably wont be out for at least a year or two. "
    I don't even think Capcom is even allowed to do something like that because of some deal with Marvel.
    SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SpaceInsomniac
    @GetEveryone said:
    " @GlenTennis said:
    " @SpaceInsomniac said:
    He said enjoy.  Releasing a fighting-game in 2011, whose quarter match does not allow for spectating is bordering on retarded. "
    I KNEW I missed a poll selection!  :)
    hyperfludd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#34  Edited By hyperfludd
    @Killroycantkill said:
    " Where's the option for "Not a big deal since they're going to patch it"? "
    MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#35  Edited By MooseyMcMan
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    " @JJOR64 said:
    " @Emilio said:
    If they make that, it probably wont be out for at least a year or two. "
    I don't even think Capcom is even allowed to do something like that because of some deal with Marvel. "
    Man, I hope that's true. I didn't play Street Fighter IV, but I would have been PISSED if I did, because I would not have bought Super Street Fighter IV. 
    FUN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By FUN

Huh?  You can most certainly view lobbies.

Maybe you mean Spectator Mode, meaning you DON'T have to watch the lobby when people are fighting, and if so, that's probably one of the things they cut out when they decided to release it a month early.

If(when) they patch it, it'll obviously be free.

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#37  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

It'll probably be patched in. 
    delusionaltool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By delusionaltool

people who think they will release a super marvel vs capcom are totally wrong, this is a sequel to mvc 2 . why its called mvc3 fate of 2 worlds. they will be doing everything as DLC on this.  never have they released a super anything under the marvel name....  its not street fighter where they can do that, there's a super street fighter 4 since there was a super street fighter 2.  

and people need to read more capcom said they were gonna be adding spectator mode in a patch... just be patient jesus...i bet there is some technical merit to this, perhaps they are waiting to see how many people buy the game and how populated the servers are before implementing spectator mode, if there is massive load on the servers and they don't compensate for that then you get lag and angry people and a broken spectator mode...

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It doesn't tell me they're stupid or lazy, it tells me they're Japanese, and don't see the merit in making anything resembling functionality in a user interface.  I really love a lot of Capcom games, but the worst part is always the framework that the game sits on.  Resident Evil 5, Lost Planet 2, Dead Rising 2, any Western developer would look at the online functionality and deem it absolutely unacceptable to launch in those states.

What is the technical limitation of all the members in the lobby not being able to fight at roughly the same time?  If 1 and 2 are fighting, why does 3 have to wait to fight the winner instead of fighting 4, or 5 or 6?  This isn't the old arcade with one machine, this is technically six machines running at once.  Getting one match in every 10 minutes seems like a total joykill.  Maybe this has been implemented at some point, it seems such an obvious thing to add to modern fighters.

delusionaltool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By delusionaltool
    @Brodehouse said:
    " It doesn't tell me they're stupid or lazy, it tells me they're Japanese, and don't see the merit in making anything resembling functionality in a user interface.  I really love a lot of Capcom games, but the worst part is always the framework that the game sits on.  Resident Evil 5, Lost Planet 2, Dead Rising 2, any Western developer would look at the online functionality and deem it absolutely unacceptable to launch in those states.   What is the technical limitation of all the members in the lobby not being able to fight at roughly the same time?  If 1 and 2 are fighting, why does 3 have to wait to fight the winner instead of fighting 4, or 5 or 6?  This isn't the old arcade with one machine, this is technically six machines running at once.  Getting one match in every 10 minutes seems like a total joykill.  Maybe this has been implemented at some point, it seems such an obvious thing to add to modern fighters. "
    good call on that!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.