Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

I think I'm pretty boned right now

Rxanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By Rxanadu

As of this writing, I'm stuck at the beginning of the Collectors' ship portion of the game.  I'm having trouble getting my allies and myself into a good piece of cover, leaving me shit out of luck against Harbinger.  I'm playing on Hardcore, so I've been using Miranda in all of my missions due to her Warp and Overload abilities (you'll need those skills throughout your playthrough if you want less headache).  No matter who I use, I can't get much help out of them.   
    That would be OK if I wasn't probably the worst class for Hardcore and Insanity: Vanguard.  I have powers like Charge and Shockwave(?), which usually get me out of cover for long periods of time, ultimately getting me killed in the process.  I think if I had better powers like Adrenaline Boost, I'd be able to get a few shots off at Harbinger.  However, that would mean starting the entire game over again to choose the Soldier class.  That would be a bit hard to do, since the game I'm playing now is my second time through the game with an imported character from ME1. 

So, I ask you, fellow Bombers, what should I do at this point of the game?  

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Afroman269

Lower the difficulty.

ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By ZombieHunterOG

make a sandwich

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Dany

I played Insanity/Vanguard 

Do you have a special ability? What is it? Reave is great because it hurts enemies even if they have a sheild/barrier/armor up. It is good to use freeze ammo because once they are frozen, they can't shoot and get double damage. For that mission, I'd Mordin and Miranda, or Thane and Miranda, he also has warp and his sniper rifle both great against flesh enemies. I rarely used my charge ability, mostly I reaved a person warp them with my squadmates and they get enough shots on them to freeze them letting me finish them off. 

Also if you level up anything to the full use the ones that go for squad ammo or wide range

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Jadeskye
    @Afroman269 said:
    " Lower the difficulty. "
    QFT.
    ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By ninjakiller

Uhh as a side to this thread, can anyone link the chart that spells out what's needed for everyone to live?  I looked for a bit but have failed so far at locating it.  

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Dany
    @ninjakiller said:
    " Uhh as a side to this thread, can anyone link the chart that spells out what's needed for everyone to live?  I looked for a bit but have failed so far at locating it.   "
    Use Tali/Legion/Kasumi for the tech, Miranda/Garrus for team leader either times. Send Mordin back with the crew. Use Samara/Morinth or Subject Zero as your biotic
    sjosz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By sjosz
    @Rxanadu:  I played Vanguard/Insanity myself, and Miranda with maxed Overload/Warp and Mordin with maxed Incinerate are awesome to use. The Collector Ship is tough as nails, but with those 2 and your special ability being Geth Shield Boost or even Fortification (shield boost is better because it is part of the biotic power upgrades you can get), you should be able to focus fire on smaller enemies with Incinerate/Warp spam on enemies with Barrier/Armor. 
    Seeing as it's your second time through, you should really have most of the bonus powers available to you.
    Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By Chris2KLee
    @ninjakiller said:

" Uhh as a side to this thread, can anyone link the chart that spells out what's needed for everyone to live?  I looked for a bit but have failed so far at locating it.   "

You need all the ship upgrades, complete all the loyalty missions (or at least most of them) and chose the right people for each job (it's pretty obvious who can do what). I recommend starting over again, the vanguard is very tricky to use in Hardcore. Start a new game, but don't import, just start fresh and take the xp and power bonus. Choose solider or infiltrator, because sniper riles are your friend (The starting Mantis rifle is the best). Try to avoid leveling too much and get the all the weapons and armor upgrades you can. Always have Miranda (with her team boosting skill).

If you just want the achievement, be ready to lose people. I did hardcore on my third play through, and I ended up losing Jack and Tali.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By AhmadMetallic

i play on Easy.. i cant take the pressure anymore, so fuck it

morosemode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By morosemode

I don't know how locked in you are with your current play through, but here are some things to consider that might help play a better Vanguard (atleast from my experiences): 

-Charge just isn't necessary. You're relying on cover during harder difficulties, but Charge leaves you completely open unless you use it when there's only 1 or 2 weak enemies left on screen, most of the time you don't need biotics at that point. 
    - Vanguard can get shot up easily, so as my additional skill I found a shield skill (I think I used Jacob's) very useful. Activate the shield before combat, then whenever the enemy burns through it just use the skill again for even more shield.
    - Cryo ammo at rank 4 was awesome. You can give freeze ammo to your entire squad, use that, combined with 1-2 area of effect biotic/tech skills, and it works wonders for crowd control. 
    - Shockwave was my go-to biotic skill right from the start. Shockwave can pass through cover so you don't need to be in the open, and neither does your target(s). Rank it up. 
    - Miranda was a staple squad member, I maxed out Overload as an AOE and maxed out Cerberus Officer for the squad bonuses to Health & Weapon Damage (bonus is passive and active even if she falls in battle). 

Finally, it's worth getting a better SMG as quickly as possible. Get these from the Tali and/or Kasumi missions.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Milkman

Solider is really the only way to play Mass Effect 2, especially on harder difficulties. It's just the unfortunate truth.

morosemode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By morosemode
    @Milkman said:
    "Solider is really the only way to play Mass Effect 2, especially on harder difficulties. It's just the unfortunate truth. "

I can't disagree more. The only reason I could see doing that is for the assault rifle, which you can get mid-game with any other class anyway. 

Don't play the dullest class on the harder difficulties just for one gun.
    nexas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By nexas

I just completed a hardcore run with my Vanguard, and here is some the best advice that I have: 

• Always be Charging. Charging is how the Vanguard recharges its barriers, and Heavy Charge temporarily slows down time tike adrenaline rush. I was almost never in cover while playing a Vanguard, even on higher difficulties. That said you need to know who to charge and when. Try not charge Harbinger or a YMIR mech while its surrounded by enemies. Always go for the slightly more isolated enemies, especially those that you can kill in one or two shots.
    • Ditch Shockwave. Shockwave is widely regarded as the worst biotic power in the entire game. On higher difficulties its practically useless with the enemies all having shields/armor/barriers. At most put in enough points to get access to pull.
    • Get squad-mate cryo ammo. This is a life-saver right here. You're squad-mates are rarely going to be the ones putting enemies down, but with this they'll be leaving behind plenty of frozen enemies for you to pick off.
    • I didn't really use bonus powers that much, but the best option for a vanguard would either be Reave or stasis. Reave is good at stripping barriers and armor, has no casting time, and if the enemy is unprotected it will stun them and heal you. Stasis is good for taking a more powerful enemy like Harbinger out of the fight while you pick off the weaker enemies.

Also what shotgun are you using? I prefer the scimitar for its rapid fire and higher ammo capacity. The Eviscerator has pretty good damage and armor and armor penetration. The Claymore is probably the most difficult to use because it only has one shot per clip, and unless you can pull off the reloading trick I wouldn't recommend it.
    sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#15  Edited By sammo21
    Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Charge refills your shields a bit right?
    I only use it if I'm sure it will kill the enemy, there's cover nearby and I won't die in the process.

Fortification/any other shield boost is great, be sure to spam your squads moves as much as you can and a good heavy weapon (Arc Projector, Particle Beam) for Harbinger if he's being a dick.

foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By foggel

The Arc Projector is very helpfull. Especially against the mass Husks later...

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By tourgen
    @Rxanadu:   Area Reave.  Single-shot inferno ammo, party-wide cryo ammo.  Forget shockwave it's mostly junk on anything over Normal difficulty.  Full charge w/ recharge reducing armor buffs.  With that build you can speed run that mission on insane.  You won't even need to issue orders to your party.  Hell it doesn't even matter really which you bring because you won't be using their powers anyway.  Play strategy is to spam charge & circle strafe with shotgun jumping in and out of cover as needed.  Fire off area reave on groups when you're in cover. charge charge charge.  Charge rebuilds shields to ~60% and reave boosts your health so choke down that fear and get in there.  It really helps if you have the sniper rifle.  Abuse the scope and then charge in on harbinger.

EDIT: I highly recommend bindging area reave and charge to buttons so you won't have to bother with the pause menu ever.  Also area reave.  Seriously the most useful power in the game.  Well, next to charge anyway.
    TorMasturba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TorMasturba
    @Rxanadu:
    As a tip, keep the Sniper ammo for the guys about to transform into a harbinger from a normal dude, and make sure you combine it with freeze ammo, because if you time it right, when they float up into the air, as they're about to transform, shoot that specific enemy in the head very rapidly and even if the bad guy manages to transform into a Harbinger he'll be significantly damaged by that point. 

This usually resulted in a momentary break from having a Harbinger on the battlefield, the moment he tries to show up again I just rinsed and repeated my method again. 
    Sure it fails sometimes as he's already to far transformed by the time I start focusing on the new Harbinger, but this tactic definitely improves your odds dramatically, especially with a Vangaurd on the hardest or harder difficulty. 

Also, probably self-explanetory, but make sure you keep moving in a battle and when you plant yourself on some cover for a couple of seconds make sure it's good cover so you can take a second to get your shields back, ie: No one can shoot at you from the sides. 
    I almost forgot, there's sections on that part of the game that are like CoD: MW1, where if you management to get yourself to a certain point enemies will stop coming. 
    Pay attention to the times when they just keep on coming until you've moved forward then dash forward, trigger the "enemy stoppage" and mop the rest up.
    zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By zombie2011
    @Rxanadu: I beat ME2 as a Vanguard on Insanity and i died very few times. You should have Charge fully upgraded as well as a powerful shotgun right? If you do it shouldn't be so hard seeing you're shields regen during a charge. So if you're about to die just charge to an enemy that is out of the way from the other enemies, while killing the guy with the shotgun you're charge should be ready for use again rinse and repeat. 

I'll admit Vanguard is a tough class if don't know how to use it, which i didn't until i started my Insanity play-through and saw these vids.  

The only power you should be using is Charge and an ammo type. If you use Shockwave you are wasting you're cool-down and stopping yourself from charging.
    Rxanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Rxanadu
    @Nexas: I'll list my general spec: 
    • almost have never used Charge up to this point; leveled up Shockwave all the way
    • never bothered with Pull, since I thought it was ultimately useless when I used Jacob
    • have Team Armor Piercing Ammo and Team Cryo Ammo
    • as stated in my first post, Miranda has full Overload and Warp (I thank the Beer Baron for that one)
    • Mordin has full Incinerate
    • I use the Eviscerator shotgun, since it seems to be my strongest
    • I always tend to use a sniper rifle, though 
    I could use one of my older saves to get Grunt's Fortification skill (I didn't get Legion to be loyal in my first playthrough) 

I still don't know what to do about those Scions on the pillars, though. 

I'll try out some of the strategies most of you have laid out for this.
    sjosz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By sjosz
    @Rxanadu: 
    The Scions' ranged attack can't hit you when you're in cover, and I managed to take them down simply taking a few shots between them using their ranged attacks. They don't really move up on you in the Collector Ship, so it's fairly easy that way.
    Avatar image for joyfullofrockets
    JoyfullOFrockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23  Edited By JoyfullOFrockets

You did something very wrong when you decided not to pick Soldier.

Rxanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Rxanadu

Um, guys?  You know when I said I was pretty boned while playing ME2?  Well... 
    Can you guys say E 74? 

Yeah, just got the message today when trying to play some Bioshock 2.  I guess this is an opportune time to get a 360 slim/Kinect combo whenever I get the chance.  Until then, I think I'll be playing some PS3 and PS2 for a while. 

salad10203

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By salad10203

I beat it on insanity on first play-through with soldier.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.