Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

To Second Playthrough or Not to Second Playthrough

flyingace16021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By flyingace16021

I'm usually not somebody who wants after finishing an rpg like ME2 to go back and start a second playthrough. I am usually  too invested in my first (and in my Mass Effect universe, canon) playthrough of the game. But After watching the badass launch trailer for the hundredth time and listening to my friend who's about to start his first playthrough of ME2, It's got me thinking about going back. I know I wouldn't make very many different decisions, except maybe to play as female shepard. I also wouldn't import the character for ME3. Yet I'm still thinking about it. What do the rest of you folks suggest? Is it worth it to play it again?  

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By JJWeatherman

Sure it's worth it! I haven't actually finished my second playthrough, but I've started a second and a third, kinda at the same time. I'll be playing ME2 for a long while.

yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By yoshimitz707

Playing on insanity really changes the experience. It forces you to really think about each encounter.

Avatar image for manhattan_project
    manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By manhattan_project

I've started and finished four ME 2 playthroughs. One is an ME import and I'm about to finish my second ME import, on insanity.  
    I love this game.

Soooo....yeah I say go for it.  But I do suggest switching up your actions as much as possible if only to see everything the game has to offer.

Avatar image for harvey_the_pooka
    harvey_the_pooka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By harvey_the_pooka

I am considering it myself. I was pretty much drunk every time I played ME2 on my first playthrough and made some decisions in the end that made my favourite characters die (Thane & Legion) so I am really thinking about playing it again.  
    McAnuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By McAnuff

I have had similar thoughts except I have started my second playthrough playing as an all bad Shepard. On my first playthrough I was the quintessential nice guy choosing the Paragon option every time, but  hearing people talk about the renegade options made me want to experience it for myself. I too will not be using it to import into ME3 (going to use my "good" guy) but am still excited to see all the content ME2 has to offer. I also just bought the three DLC pack (thanks Microsoft for your "countdown to 2011" promotion. 200 points each is a bargain).

Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By Bouke
    @yoshimitz707: Also playing the game (for the second time) on insanity. It started off pretty good until the Archangel encounter; where you have to fight off a bunch of enemies. I got through alive but the problem is that Archangel keeps dying on me....
    peacebrother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#8  Edited By peacebrother

The real question is "To third playthrough, or to third playthrough"

I guess it's not really a question. Go play more Mass Effect 2.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Azteck

I've played ME2 through twice. One on normal, and one on Insanity.

deathstroke75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By deathstroke75

I would recommend it.  Keep in mind all of the choices you can make that TOTALLY change the storyline.  You can option to have Samara's daughter in your party rather than Samara.  If you are importing, what you did with the council in the first game really effects how the world views you.  Plus you can pick a different power set and mix up the experience.

benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By benpack

I had the same debate with myself last night after hearing them talk about it during the GotY debates. 

@Manhattan_Project said:

" I've started and finished four ME 2 playthroughs. One is an ME import and I'm about to finish my second ME import, on insanity."

I tried starting on Insanity, but it's so goddamned hard. What is a good class to pick for it? Someone told me the Sniper class, because you can go invisible.
    overbyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By overbyte
    @GlenTennis said:
    I tried starting on Insanity, but it's so goddamned hard. What is a good class to pick for it? Someone told me the Sniper class, because you can go invisible. "
    I personally went with a Soldier and having the Mattock/Widow combo. Slap on Warp Ammo and it made the infamous Collector Ship level more tolerable.
    Noodles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Noodles

I started a second playthrough on hardcore with a Soldier. Still fun as ever, and there is so much stuff I missed during my first playthrough. I was going to try to play paragon (did mostly renegade for my first playthrough), but being an asshole renegade Shepard is way too much fun.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By alternate

Try a totally different class, makes the combat more interesting.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By Venatio

Well I finished Mass Effect 1 five times, to get all achievements, play as a dude, play as a girl, be evil and good

I just started my second playthrough of Mass Effect 2 on Insanity, playing a renegade female character, I want that S-rank, already played all the DLC

So what I'm saying is, yeah play it again, it's worth it

yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#17  Edited By yoshimitz707
    @Bouke Use more skill
    Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#18  Edited By Bouke
    @yoshimitz707 said:
    " @Bouke Use more skill "
    Thanks for the tip; i tried that and it totally worked!
    warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By warxsnake

for me the question is to fifth playthrough or not. ill wait until just before me3 comes out i guess

Zicdab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Zicdab

I'd say do a second playthrough on insanity.  Change your decisions during the playthrough.  That makes it interesting.

DougQuaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By DougQuaid

I'd say go for it.  Change the difficulty to Hardcore or Insane though.  It really forces you to use everyone's weapons and abilities tactically and makes combat a lot more rewarding and fun.

All that DLC on sale was reason enough for me to start playing through it again for the third time. 

Though playing through it again is just making me think about another playthrough as a bad-ass female renegade Adept Shepard.  God damn you Mass Effect 2...

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#23  Edited By AndrewB

Do eet. I'm thinking of a third playthrough because I want to play as a renegade female Shepard. My second time through was pretty same-ish as far as choices, except I went for Liara instead of Tali.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I'm on my third play though, it's getting more difficult to get through the game now.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

I'm on my third game. I advise you to stick to hardcore, unless you really want that Insanity achievement. It wasn't worth it to me.

KillyDarko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 43

#26  Edited By KillyDarko

Nah, won't do a second playthrough for now. I've been carrying my character since ME1 and I want to take it through to the end in a "pure" way-- meaning that I don't want to make decisions based on previous experiences. But when I finish the whole trilogy, then yes, I'll play the whole thing a second time :)

Sulla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#27  Edited By Sulla
    @harvey_the_pooka said:
    " I am considering it myself. I was pretty much drunk every time I played ME2 on my first playthrough and made some decisions in the end that made my favourite characters die (Thane & Legion) so I am really thinking about playing it again. Maybe after I finished RDR since I am already at the farm at the end with Marston´s family... "
    Would you mind at least using spoiler tags for that last bit? You're not saying a lot but it's pretty much on the edge in my opinion and also in a thread where one doesn't expect spoilers about RDR.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.