Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Max Payne 3

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released May 15, 2012

The long-awaited third Max Payne game finally arrived in May 2012, courtesy of Rockstar Vancouver. Eight years after the end of Max Payne 2, an aging, burnt-out Max finds one last chance to redeem himself while working as a bodyguard for a rich family in Brazil.

Framerate on the PS3

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By impartialgecko

So I got the PS3 version of Max Payne 3 (360 dead and PC inadequate) and it has instances of serious slowdown, especially when large numbers of enemies and/or people are onscreen,

Remember the dive out of the window into the nightclub? Well on the PS3 that's running at well below 20 fps, similarly levels like the back of the bus shootout at the end of Act 2 and the bit in Panama when the mercenaries line the docks to your left are "enhancing" the bullet-time to the point where it chugs. It's the first time in a game were I've found that killing enemies improves your chances of the game actually running at an acceptable rate.

It's a pity because I really enjoyed MP3 for 90% of the time, but damn does the other 10% make me wish developers would do what's necessary to keep the framerate locked at 30 for today's consoles.

rolanthas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By rolanthas

yeah especially that nightclub window scene had me worried. However it's not that prevalent throughout the game. I can't remember the Panama scene you mentioned but there had surely been 2-3 instances where I had massive difficulty with aiming due to abysmal fps drops.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By impartialgecko

@rolanthas said:

yeah especially that nightclub window scene had me worried. However it's not that prevalent throughout the game. I can't remember the Panama scene you mentioned but there had surely been 2-3 instances where I had massive difficulty with aiming due to abysmal fps drops.

The bit where you're running along the left side of the boat and loads of bad dudes form up to your left. That's the worst offender because it's not part of a scripted slow mo scene. The majority of the game runs fine, it's when the game is supposed to be putting its best foot forward in the big action sequences that it feels really rough.

Avatar image for supremeconstant
    SupremeConstant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SupremeConstant

I'm playing on PS3 as well but have not experienced any of the framerate problems mentioned here. A little hitch here or there in certain spots but they were infrequent and not a hamper on gameplay.

jjnen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By jjnen

I haven't noticed any major slowdowns. Though sounds especially speech seem to cut off and start playing few seconds too late. (Disc reading problem?) Has anyone else noticed this?

mbdoeden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mbdoeden

@Rappelsiini said:

I haven't noticed any major slowdowns. Though sounds especially speech seem to cut off and start playing few seconds too late. (Disc reading problem?) Has anyone else noticed this?

To all of your major points, I have had the same experience. The sound cut out maybe twice throughout the campaign during cutscenes and I haven't noticed any framerate slowdowns.

For the record, I have a PS3 slim.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By nightriff

Sad to hear this, this is the system I will be getting it on when I decide to pick up the game. Hopefully it is fixed by then.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By impartialgecko

I've had no sound issues, just a sluggish framerate. I'm also on a slim

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By Vinny_Says

It's called bullettime son

rolanthas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By rolanthas

Using a 320 gb slim here as well. Digital Foundry had a recent article pointing out universal FPS drop spots for ps3. It's nice to see the overall visual quality between platforms is closer this time around ( well, more so than RDR anyway)

IAmNotBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By IAmNotBatman

The only problem I had was with a bit of dialog coming up on subtitles and not hearing it about 10-20 times :/

Nilazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Nilazz

The scene at the nightclub when you're jumping out of the window was so cool...BUT the framerate killed it.

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By VierasTalo

I had no issues in the night club scene, which seems to make me the only one. The boat in Panama was the only part that I ever had issues with, and that was only on one of my many tries of passing that scene without using cover. Otherwise everything was just fine, except for the audio skipping out on one minor cutscene.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Nekroskop

The nightclubscene and the first chapter when Max gets out if the water are the worst offenders in my experience. Other than that it's fine. The sound lag is the main problem though, might be a bufferissue.

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15  Edited By Commisar123

I only had it once or twice in the early section, but afterwards it was smooth sailing.

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
    WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was hanging out with a buddy and his slim had some problems with this game as well. There was a lot of texture pop-in, objects not even loading at some points. I think it hard locked once as well.

Two more days until I get my hands on MP3 PC and my specs meet their "High Recommended" so I'm quite curious to see a Rockstar game actually run at a solid 60 at release.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By napalm

I was on the Xbox 360, didn't install, and I had no framerate issues. I'd love to see what this game looks like at sixty frames-per-second.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By impartialgecko

@Vinny_Says said:

It's called poor optimisation and too many enemies onscreen, sunshine

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Vinny_Says

@adam1808 said:

@Vinny_Says said:

It's called poor optimisation and too many enemies onscreen, sunshine

that joke went right over your head....oh well.

billyhoush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By billyhoush

I noticed a few spots of slow down and early on in the game some speech cutting out but overall the game was enjoyable on PS3.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.