Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Max Payne 3

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released May 15, 2012

The long-awaited third Max Payne game finally arrived in May 2012, courtesy of Rockstar Vancouver. Eight years after the end of Max Payne 2, an aging, burnt-out Max finds one last chance to redeem himself while working as a bodyguard for a rich family in Brazil.

What is *wrong* with this community? (poll).

• 142 results
    AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#101  Edited By AlexW00d

I don't like third person shooters much, so I don't give a shit about this game.

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#102  Edited By superfriend

Played em both, on PC and Xbox. Some of the few games that I´ve finished multiple times.

MP3 looks kinda nice, but I´ll wait for the reviews.. especially since my PC doesn´t exactly match their weird-ass elite recommended specs.

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#103  Edited By Sambambo

I fucking loved 1 and 2, and if I wanted Max Payne 3 any more than I currently do, I would literally ejaculate every time I thought about it.

Why am I not allowed to look forward to MP3 without caution?

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#104  Edited By ShaggE

@SuperSambo said:

Why am I not allowed to look forward to MP3 without caution?

Brackets.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By Hitchenson

I fucking love Max Payne 1/2 and I seriously can't wait for 3, it looks great.

Rohok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#106  Edited By Rohok

I saw the movie and I own both games on steam. But never played them. Thinking of playing both.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#107  Edited By Gaff

As I button up my jacket to shield myself from this cold, dreary spring day, I brace myself for the recoil, a kid picking a fight in the playground, where everyone is two heads taller and at least twice as wide. Fools rush in where angels fear to thread.

Max Payne was not that good. Bullet time and the kill cam turned stale faster than a slice of bread left out in a hot summer's day. The writing was melodramatic and hammy: A pig, feasting on the leftovers of noir fiction and turn-of-the-millenium angst, on the flesh of fallen angels... Growing fat and bloated, veins bulging, popping, painting one of the most terrible example of platforming in recent memory with its blood splatters.

You can call me jaded: thirty-three snowy winters is enough to turn anyone cold.

sasnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By sasnake

im not consciously looking forward to MP3, and loved the first 2...so wheres the I loved Max Payne 1 and 2 and looking forward to 3?

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#109  Edited By jakob187

A strong lack of Moosey is what is wrong with this community.

Wait, what?

DJJoeJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#110  Edited By DJJoeJoe

I played and loved the first game, it was so rad at the time, and the second game was pretty good as well though wasn't very different enough to be as cool as the first. I think the third game looks to be made for me specifically, cause it looks really great to me, I'm sad there is no poll option for my opinion and that all the options are weighted towards disliking the upcoming game which to me looks super rad. The only thing I can be slightly unsure or not stoked about is that the very Remedy style things in the past games (TV Show) aren't super confirmed (although even they are kinda confirmed via rumours and various talks from Rockstar in some capacity).

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By hatking

I actually went back a couple weeks ago and played through both. They hold up really well, shockingly. I love both games, and am VERY excited to Max Payne 3. Even have the CE on pre-order.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#112  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @themangalist said:

What bothers me about any Max Payne sequel is that they fail to acknowledge Sam Lake is the one and ONLY Max Payne, as far as I'm concerned.

I don't know man, usually I demand shit like that stay the same but something about Max's face changing and growing over the years and throughout the franchise feels very fitting and right. 
    Dimsey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 118

#113  Edited By Dimsey

I've played and enjoyed Max Payne 1 & 2. Looking forward to Max Payne 3 with no degree of caution.  
    I'm sure it'll be a fine game.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By phrosnite

I have played a little bit of both Max Payne 1 & 2 and I don't care about Max Payne 3.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By Karl_Boss

@Dany said:

Also, HEALTH :D

This....I'm more excited to hear the HEALTH tracks than to play the game.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#116  Edited By Ghostiet
    @Gaff said:

As I button up my jacket to shield myself from this cold, dreary spring day, I brace myself for the recoil, a kid picking a fight in the playground, where everyone is two heads taller and at least twice as wide. Fools rush in where angels fear to thread.

Max Payne was not that good. Bullet time and the kill cam turned stale faster than a slice of bread left out in a hot summer's day. The writing was melodramatic and hammy: A pig, feasting on the leftovers of noir fiction and turn-of-the-millenium angst, on the flesh of fallen angels... Growing fat and bloated, veins bulging, popping, painting one of the most terrible example of platforming in recent memory with its blood splatters.

You can call me jaded: thirty-three snowy winters is enough to turn anyone cold.

I disagree with the comment about the writing, because it was deliberately melodramatic and hammy. Half the time, achieving narm was the goal and that's why it was so awesome.
    Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By Pibo47

I love both the max payne games! Cant wait for 3. I dont think rockstar will disappoint.

eagles_band

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By eagles_band

I liked Max Payne 1 and 2, and I think Rockstar are better at making games than Remedy, so I am looking forward to 3 even more.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#119  Edited By Deranged

Never played a Max Payne game before, the third game looks like a rental.

Lysergica33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By Lysergica33

Loved both Max Payne 1 and 2, especially 2. The meta-narrative structure in the 2nd is ridiculously well done, as is all the writing in that game.

I have total faith that gameplay wise, 3 will kick ass, but since it's Rockstar, I doubt that was ever going to be the problem. Whether the writing is of the same calibre of the first two remains to be seen. I'm remaining cautiously optimistic.

spacetrogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By spacetrogg

I really should get round to playing Max Payne 1+2, I hear that they are removing the more fantastical elements from the series though. Not sure if I made this up but I seem to recall friends talking about werewolves in the originals which sounded kind of neat though it could just be my mind's gradual decent into madness however.

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#122  Edited By fjordson

Two of the greatest third person shooters ever in my eyes. It is a shame that they aren't better remembered.

But we need an option for "Loved 1 and 2, hyped for 3". No caution here.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#123  Edited By monkeyking1969

I have enjoyed the old Max P games, and I'm cautiously optimistic about the third game from what I have seen. I like the animations system while shooting where characters move a bit more realistic when they hit the ground to roll up on your sides or shoot or from a ‘downed’ or ‘diving’ position.

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By fjordson

The shooting while prone after a shoot dodge is great. Not having that in the first game can be annoying as hell in some fights.

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By Jrinswand

Other. Played and enjoyed Max Payne, never played the second, know absolutely nothing about the third. Something about Brazil?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#126  Edited By Yummylee

Only played Max Payne 2 on the ps2, but I loved it all the same. Very excited for Max Payne 3.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/games/max-payne-3-extended-hands-on-20120508-1yaqv.html 

ven this soon into the game, we get the impression Max is a broken man. Spending his nights drinking and popping pills in his sparse apartment before flying into a rage while staring at a photo frame we can't make out. He bursts into tears and finishes the bottle before collapsing on his unmade bed.

I can't fucking waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
    jillsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By jillsandwich

Why exactly is there no option to think that Max Payne 3 looks fucking rad?

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By korwin

Love and Cautious. A chunk of my love was transferred to Alan Wake.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#130  Edited By benspyda

Played 1 and 2. I enjoyed them but wasn't blown away by them. So if Max Payne 3 is really good I will play it, but not necessarily the day it comes out.

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#131  Edited By DrPockets000

Played both, pumped for the third. "Cautiously" can go fuck itself.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By Quarters

I loved MP1 and MP2, but I'm still really leery of MP3. Waiting on the launch trailer tomorrow before I decide if I'm buying it day one. I hate Rockstar, and I'm extremely worried about what they are going to do to the series plot wise. Gameplay-wise, it looks fine, and I'm sure it will be fun, and it certainly looks gorgeous. But I am worried that they are going to:

A) Totally ruin MP2's quasi-happy ending by just murdering Max at the end of this one, as they're want to do.

B) Remove any sort of quirky/supernatural elements.

C) Remove any of the old humor, instead replacing it with normal Rockstar "funny" characters.

D) Make it nihilisticly depressing like all of their other games are nowadays, where there is never victory of any way, shape or form(which the other games have, even in the face of defeat).

E) Completely alter Max's personality and the way his inner monologue sounds, since everything I've seen in the comic/trailer so far is just full of semi-witty responses, and is devoid of the literary sense of the old Max. Just sounds different, and not necessarily in a good way.

So...yeah. I just can't fully get behind it based off everything I've seen. Hopefully it proves me wrong, but...Rockstar's not exactly an unpredictable company.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#133  Edited By Marz

played both max payne 1 & 2 when they first came out, i liked them but  max payne 3 isn't a day 1 buy since i'm more interested in diablo 3 and dragon's dogma this month.

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By fjordson

Watched a good hour of various live streams earlier. Holy FUCK, this game looks good. And Max's narration is so dope. Feels like there's more of it here than the other games since you get some of it during gameplay.

Seriously witnessed 3-4 moments within the first half hour of the game that had me stunned. Gunplay looks so satisfying and brutal as fuck because of the way enemies get wounded. Some nasty shit. Also, it's visually gorgeous, particularly the character models and the animation. Euphoria makes other shooters look like hot garbage.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Fjordson said:

Watched a good hour of various live streams earlier. Holy FUCK, this game looks good. And Max's narration is so dope. Feels like there's more of it here than the other games since you get some of it during gameplay.

Seriously witnessed 3-4 moments within the first half hour of the game that had me stunned. Gunplay looks so satisfying and brutal as fuck because of the way enemies get wounded. Some nasty shit. Also, it's visually gorgeous, particularly the character models and the animation. Euphoria makes other shooters look like hot garbage.

Be a brother, SHARE SOME LINKS! 
    Or don't, I don't want it spoiled for me... 
    Or DO, I wanna see :( 

please?
    Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By Bell_End

@Fjordson said:

that comment just sent my excitement for this game through the roof. shame i have to wait for the PC version but im sure the wait will be worth it.

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 12

#137  Edited By Oni

I like Max Payne for being a fun shooter that is also mostly noir parody. I fucking LOVE Max Payne 2 for being an awesome shooter with really amazing writing that nails the balancing act between being an homage and a parody of noir at the same time. Seriously, the writing is amazing.

I'm looking forward to MP3 because it looks like a great game, but I'm really worried the writing will be typical Rockstar/House shit: overused movie clichés repurposed for their needs. Because that's pretty much all they know how to do, ape cinema without much originality of their own.

HydraHam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By HydraHam

Where is the i fucking love MP1/2 and am super pumped for MP3? every answer is you either love MP1/2 and hate MP3 or love MP1/2 and are cautiously looking to MP3.

plaintomato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By plaintomato

@Styl3s said:

Where is the i fucking love MP1/2 and am super pumped for MP3? every answer is you either love MP1/2 and hate MP3 or love MP1/2 and are cautiously looking to MP3.

Yep. Other. I enjoyed 1 and 2 pretty good. Wasn't totally blown away, but I had a lot of fun with them. Looking forward to 3 with unbridled enthusiasm; as much because I've never met a Rockstar game I didn't like, and Rockstar's only gotten better with time, as because it's Max Payne 3.

I mean, say Atari was behind Max Payne 3 - would I care then? Probably not.

VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#140  Edited By VisariLoyalist

just tryin' to eat a fish and it falls off the plate!

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#141  Edited By sins_of_mosin

Enjoyed the first two games so looking forward to getting my hands on it.

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#142  Edited By donutfever

People are being pretty ridiculous with their criticisms of 3.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.