Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Medal of Honor

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Oct 12, 2010

Step into the boots of Tier 1 Operatives Rabbit and Deuce in this modern take on EA's long-running Medal of Honor series; the game features separately-developed single player and multiplayer modes.

Does the use of IEDs actually bother anyone else?

ztiworoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By ztiworoh

On one of the E3 Bombcasts, there was talk of how one of the weapons in MoH for the Insurgents is a cell phone controlled IED. While I don't want to say I'm offended by this, I'm at the least uncomfortable? I guess, I come to video games for escapism, and knowing that these devices, which are real threats to soldiers in the field, are used as an in-game device just seems sort of... tasteless? 

Maybe this is why I've never gotten into the modern military shooter thing, and I hate sounding like one of those "video games are offensive" types, because I'm definitely not, but something about it rubbed me the wrong way. 

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Jadeskye

the AK47 has killed more people then both bombs dropped on japan at the end of WW2. 

You have no problem using that in every shooter.

ztiworoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ztiworoh
    @jadeskye: I know that and that's why I'm conflicted here. Maybe it just seems too on the nose - like, I can separate those from this current conflict, where as the IED is such a product of our modern day situation that it just feels wrong?
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By JJWeatherman

You what else are threats to real soldiers in the field? Assault rifles, grenades, and you know, everything else in military games these days. 

It's really just one more thing.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By TheHBK
    @jadeskye said:
    "the AK47 has killed more people then both bombs dropped on japan at the end of WW2.  You have no problem using that in every shooter. "

Bam!  You just got a facial of truth rookie.
    Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Jadeskye
    @ztiworoh: the IED is by no means new. Vietnamese troopers used to fashion improvised explosives from frag grenades, dropped batteries, used up rocket launchers, scrap metal. Just about anything you can think of. 

Everything the US soldiers dropped in that conflict was picked up and used against them.
    Avatar image for fakeplastictree
    FakePlasticTree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By FakePlasticTree

@ztiworoh said:

" On one of the E3 Bombcasts, there was talk of how one of the weapons in MoH for the Insurgents is a cell phone controlled IED. While I don't want to say I'm offended by this, I'm at the least uncomfortable? I guess, I come to video games for escapism, and knowing that these devices, which are real threats to soldiers in the field, are used as an in-game device just seems sort of... tasteless?  Maybe this is why I've never gotten into the modern military shooter thing, and I hate sounding like one of those "video games are offensive" types, because I'm definitely not, but something about it rubbed me the wrong way.  "

Guns are also real threats to soldiers, as are rocket launchers, mortar strikes, grenades, and tanks. I take no issue with IEDs in MoH. You can't argue that IEDs are tasteless in a modern combat shooter. They are used in combat today. They are not more "tasteless" than anything else in the game. 
    ztiworoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ztiworoh
    @FakePlasticTree: I figured that would be the response here, and I mean, I know you're right - I've killed plenty of virtual people with guns, rockets, swords, etc.... Maybe it's my gut reaction to the number of modern combat based games that we're seeing, which admittedly, don't appeal to me all that much, I tend to like my games to be a bit more escapist and the violence abstracted - I can kill outlaws, aliens, space marines, pirates, nazis, and such all day long. Something about setting it in the here and now, in Afghanistan, and then applying point values to kills just bothers me for a reason that I can't explain
    MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By MooseyMcMan
    @jadeskye said:

" the AK47 has killed more people then both bombs dropped on japan at the end of WW2.  You have no problem using that in every shooter. "

There's a difference between a gun that's used like any other gun, and a bomb. The IED is a coward's weapon. At least with the AK-47 there's the risk of having to actually aim at the enemy, when they can shoot back.  

Edit: I should also add that I don't think a game should be based on an ongoing conflict. They should at least wait until it's over.
    Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By Brendan

Being less uncomfortable with violence because it's "escapist" violence seems like an immuture mindset.
    Avatar image for fakeplastictree
    FakePlasticTree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By FakePlasticTree
    @ztiworoh said:
    " @FakePlasticTree: I figured that would be the response here, and I mean, I know you're right - I've killed plenty of virtual people with guns, rockets, swords, etc.... Maybe it's my gut reaction to the number of modern combat based games that we're seeing, which admittedly, don't appeal to me all that much, I tend to like my games to be a bit more escapist and the violence abstracted - I can kill outlaws, aliens, space marines, pirates, nazis, and such all day long. Something about setting it in the here and now, in Afghanistan, and then applying point values to kills just bothers me for a reason that I can't explain "
    It's not that hard to explain. The issues in the Afghanistan are a part of your life. You're hearing about it every time you turn on the nightly news or pick up a newspaper. Perhaps you just feel so bombarded with all this modern war that's actually happening you don't have any desire to experience it in your videogames. It's the same reason that these days when the media complains about games it's usually Call of Duty and Grand Theft Auto instead of titles like the infinitely more violent God of War. Realism hits home, and makes it an easy target to go against. I'm not saying you're one of those people, but I can understand why someone doesn't enjoy the modern combat games. 
    Mariek430

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Mariek430

I'm pretty sure the refer to the insurgents as Taliban as well. neither of which bother me because its a video game.

ztiworoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ztiworoh
    @FakePlasticTree: That's probably true - could be that I work  in Washington DC, in a job which has some significant exposure to our political system, so I might have much more exposure to it than a lot of Americans. 

@Brendan:  I wouldn't say it's immature - it seems natural that people would be more affected by violence against people they can identify with and perhaps project real people they know onto. 
    Tuksit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Tuksit

@MooseyMcMan:  I don't know that I'd call an IED a coward's weapon. What exactly makes an IED any more cowardly than any other ED?

Avatar image for thecreamfilling
    TheCreamFilling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By TheCreamFilling

I'm not worried, it's just a game, they can't hurt anyone. 

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16  Edited By TheHBK

If they really wanted to bother you and make you uncomfortable, they would have included a disease rating, showing how infected you are from various diseases from AIDS to the flu.  Disease has killed more soldiers in the history of man than anything else.  Imagine playing COD MW2 and having the game suddenly stop and say you had succumb to the AIDS symptoms because of your extended stay with the bitches of the russian gulag.  Or if Price suddenly died because he had too much love from the homies in the gulag and he died of syphillis.  That shit is real.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By CL60

Really?...

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By OllyOxenFree

It's just a game, broheimer.

icyroy05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By icyroy05
    @Menseguez said:

"  @MooseyMcMan:  I don't know that I'd call an IED a coward's weapon. What exactly makes an IED any more cowardly than any other ED? "

Agreed. When it comes down to it there is no difference between an IED and anAnti-personnel mine. Both are equally lame.
    Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#20  Edited By Cirdain
    @ztiworoh said:
    " On one of the E3 Bombcasts, there was talk of how one of the weapons in MoH for the Insurgents is a cell phone controlled IED. While I don't want to say I'm offended by this, I'm at the least uncomfortable? I guess, I come to video games for escapism, and knowing that these devices, which are real threats to soldiers in the field, are used as an in-game device just seems sort of... tasteless?  Maybe this is why I've never gotten into the modern military shooter thing, and I hate sounding like one of those "video games are offensive" types, because I'm definitely not, but something about it rubbed me the wrong way.  "
    In the beta no body uses it. It's just to slow to deploy.
    Zajtalan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Zajtalan

pussy

BunkerBuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By BunkerBuster

If there was a mission in that game where you get hit by an explosive and your squad dies and they take you and hang you from a bridge then maybe it would be too close not a bomb triggered by a cell phone.

DukeT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By DukeT
    @MooseyMcMan said:
    " @jadeskye said:

" the AK47 has killed more people then both bombs dropped on japan at the end of WW2.  You have no problem using that in every shooter. "

There's a difference between a gun that's used like any other gun, and a bomb. The IED is a coward's weapon. At least with the AK-47 there's the risk of having to actually aim at the enemy, when they can shoot back.   Edit: I should also add that I don't think a game should be based on an ongoing conflict. They should at least wait until it's over. "
    This is exactly what I was going to post. Nearly word for word. IEDs are placed strategically to lure  unaware soldiers into an unexpected death. I believe that the use of such a weapon, especially by you as a player, should not be included. It is a cowards weapon and is used by radicals to kill innocent people just as much as it kills actually soldiers. It is by no means game breaking, but if there is a choice, I definitely won't use it when I play Medal of Honor. 

However, I don't really understand the problem with playing an ongoing conflict. I was actually super excited about that Six Days in Fallujah game. Not because I want to see modern American soldiers killed, but because there are many movies about the war, fictional and non-fictional, and I don't see why games have to  be any different.
    ZeroRegistry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ZeroRegistry

It doesn't really bother me any more so than any other weapon in a modern military themed shooter.   

But to each their own.

Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#25  Edited By Out_On_Bail

I feel obligated to give my .02 cents here.   

I've been in the gunner hatch of a humvee in Iraq that was hit with an IED. Not a day goes by that I don't reenact that scenario in my head, as well as a handful of other things. I was fortunate enough to where I didn't get hurt. By sheer luck I was leaning over to adjust the strap I was sitting on and trying to hear what the driver had said, then boom. Shrapnel went through the hatch but missed me. Crazy shit, guys. 

With that being said, I don't see an issue with the use of IED's in a game. They are a part of the war we are fighting. It's a cowards approach but nobody can deny the lethality of it. I did, however, have a problem with a game that was supposed to come out. I won't go on forever, but I wrote a blog about it a while ago. It should go without saying (but it won't) that the blog is based only on personal experiences.

Newtime1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Newtime1

depends on why they put it in there. I kind of feel like the people behind this game just want shock value. because their not making a new game. I mean its the same engine as BC2, everything about it looks the same. idk, it looks more like and addon to me. But yeah, if your going to do a game in Afghanistan, i'd rather they didn't dance around it and put ied's in like they are doing. but the reason for creating the game in the first place seems lame. last i checked  BC2 is behind halo 3, which is an old ass game at this point, as far as people playing and looks like its just dropping. so maybe ea is just like "we'll do anything just PLEEEEEAAAAASSSSEEE play our game". lol

gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By gunslingerNZ
    @ztiworoh said:
    That is such a bizarre post... You know what's a much bigger threat to soldiers on the battlefield? BULLETS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Also RPG's, knives, claymores, frag grenades and a myriad of other items that have been in games for over a decade now.
    JFetch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By JFetch

I'm actually more surprised nobody cared about the building falling down in Crysis 2 or the fact that Medal of Honor takes place in Afghanistan where we are presently at war in real life. I'm not upset about these, but I expected an outcry from certain people.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.