Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Medal of Honor

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Oct 12, 2010

Step into the boots of Tier 1 Operatives Rabbit and Deuce in this modern take on EA's long-running Medal of Honor series; the game features separately-developed single player and multiplayer modes.

EA succumbs to pressure, no more Taliban in MoH

• 60 results
    HereAllDay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By HereAllDay
    Here's a link to the story 
    Although this is definitely a PR move I feel like EA may have taken them up on the decision now due to the huge ass loss they just made on Elite.
    FirePrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By FirePrince

And I was looking forward to not playing another silenced american soldier. 

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By natetodamax

Cool, so instead of killing American soldiers in Afghanistan as the Taliban, I'll still be killing American soldiers in Afghanistan as they same character models, but a different name. Where's the logic in this?

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By eroticfishcake

So what are they called now? Insurgents? Terrorists? Non-Americans?

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By KaosAngel

Fucking pussies.  Man up and support what you do.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By natetodamax
    @eroticfishcake said:
    " So what are they called now? Insurgents? Terrorists? Non-Americans? "
    Opposing Force. Which still means Taliban.
    Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By Hamz
    @eroticfishcake: Opposing Force, someone didn't read the article :P
    Aetos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Aetos

I just think this whole thing was pointless. But its pry enough to get Fox News off their ass.

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DrPockets000

That sounds utterly pointless.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By eroticfishcake
    @natetodamax said:
    " @eroticfishcake said:
    " So what are they called now? Insurgents? Terrorists? Non-Americans? "
    Opposing Force. Which still means Taliban. "
    Huh. I was thinking that would be it. 

@Hamz: Shoot first! Ask questions later! (Plus I was just taking the piss. :D)
    phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By phantomzxro

I understand the choice but a name change just seems too simple.  You would think they could have saved time and money by doing a bit of research to see if the backlash would be bad. Who knows if this move will get the game on army bases now or not so is this choice worth the effort. 
    Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Steve_C

It's only for the multiplayer, but it's still bullshit backpedaling.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By EpicSteve

This is completely ridicules. I'm actually offended that they don't even mention our real-world enemy by name.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By iamjohn

Pussies.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By natetodamax
    @EpicSteve said:
    " This is completely ridicules. I'm actually offended that they don't even mention our real-world enemy by name. "
    Okay, I have to say something because I've seen it so much. 

It's "ridiculous" 

:) 

I don't understand how this is a bigger issue than killing American soldiers in the game. Doesn't make sense to me. I thought this game was at least trying to be somewhat authentic?
    HereAllDay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By HereAllDay
    @natetodamax said:
    " @EpicSteve said:
    " This is completely ridicules. I'm actually offended that they don't even mention our real-world enemy by name. "
    Okay, I have to say something because I've seen it so much.  It's "ridiculous"  :)  I don't understand how this is a bigger issue than killing American soldiers in the game. Doesn't make sense to me. I thought this game was at least trying to be somewhat authentic? "
    Because Fox News said so. 

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#17  Edited By EpicSteve
    @natetodamax said:

" @EpicSteve said:

Okay, I have to say something because I've seen it so much.  It's "ridiculous"  :)  I don't understand how this is a bigger issue than killing American soldiers in the game. Doesn't make sense to me. I thought this game was at least trying to be somewhat authentic? "
    I have a terrible habit of misspelling that word. 

I think this whole event will set a bad example for future games.
    septim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18  Edited By septim

Pretty much the only thing this game had going for it was the "controversy."

When you backpedal you are essentially admitting you were wrong. What a lovely precedent of caving to the hysterical 24 news cycle, EA.

Robitt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By Robitt
    @sharma55 said:

" @natetodamax said:

" @EpicSteve said:

Fox News have any kind of influence on world events, however small, scares me.
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ProfessorEss

I was pretty indifferent to the whole Taliban thing before, and I'm pretty indifferent to the whole name change thing now.

So EA buckled under the pressure, big deal, this kinda stuff can be real tricky to handle. It's easy for everyone here to say "they pussied out" because none of us have been dealing with, or any stake in it.

Don't blame EA, blame the culture.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By phantomzxro

One thing i can say is at least fox news did it's homework this time.
    mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By Baillie

Don't blame EA, blame yourselves. I saw loads of you guys saying, oh my god this is terrible, how can EA allow this to happen, oh no!

paradox121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24  Edited By paradox121
    @phantomzxro said:
    " I understand the choice but a name change just seems too simple.  You would think they could have saved time and money by doing a bit of research to see if the backlash would be bad. Who knows if this move will get the game on army bases now or not so is this choice worth the effort.  "
    I hate to be another EA-hater but:
    Do market research, costs in time and money, game may fly under the radar
    OR
    Dont bother to do any research (or go with the most controversial option), get backlash and thus attention and coverage, then 'admit defeat' and change name
    Calling it an outright publicity stunt may be cynical but...
    Onno10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Onno10
    @sharma55 said:

" @natetodamax said:

" @EpicSteve said:

"
    I don't live in the US, but how are these clowns able to run a news channel?
    MannyMAR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#27  Edited By MannyMAR

@Onno10 

Because of Rupert Murdoch.

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#28  Edited By Jayross

We still kill the Taliban in the singleplayer.

This is typical American bullshit. They are fine killing the enemy, but as soon as it goes the other way around... BAM!

I wonder if someone will ever make a movie from the Taliban's perspective, like "Letters from Iwo Jima"/The Middle East.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#29  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

It was only a multiplayer skin.

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By FourWude

It's called 'Self-Censorship', when you voluntarily decide or are coerced into a change, without the outright use of force, from the original intention.

In this case EA has decided due to PR reasons and external pressure to change its own vision in MOH and delete the Taliban from Multiplayer modes. In terms of end result it is absolutely no different to a ban on certain parts of the game, the result being that change would occur or the original intention stopped if a change did not occur.

Self censorship actually exists far more around the world than you would believe but has the same effect as a ban or clampdown. Different forms of which can be 'blacklisting', e.g. certain music artists voluntarily blacklisted from radio shows by companies or voluntary discrimination in not stocking the product. 

The hypocrisy of this of course being that whilst outright bans are frowned down upon, self censorship is seen as almost perfectly acceptable. And in the case of MOH you will get very little backlash from the wider populace because their sensibilities have been protected. The same sensibilities that they rarely give due regard to in others. What I'm trying to say is that some forms of speech are deemed more acceptable than others depending on who/what is offended.

Donos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Donos
    @Jayross said:

" We still kill the Taliban in the singleplayer. This is typical American bullshit. They are fine killing the enemy, but as soon as it goes the other way around... BAM! I wonder if someone will ever make a movie from the Taliban's perspective, like "Letters from Iwo Jima"/The Middle East. "

Single player is telling a story about American soldiers, who really are killing Taliban.  If someone decided to create a Taliban perspective campaign with American soldiers being killed, I'd be fine with it because that's they story they're telling, and I think most other people would deem it acceptable as well, if not be entirely comfortable with it, because it's telling a story.

The issue with MoH's multiplayer is that unlike single player, multiplayer neccessarily trivializes its subject matter in favor of fun.  How is it bullshit for Americans to be uncomfortable with real events really killing other Americans being trivialized and sold? I'm Canadian, and I'm sure as hell not comfortable with it.
    AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By AuthenticM

First Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age got their sex scenes tamed the fuck down (especially DA) and now this? Yeah, EA is ran by a bunch of pussies. I don't believe one bit that the enemy being named "Taliban" would have reduced the game's sales. A couple of butthurt rightwing motherfuckers probably would have refrained from buying it, but no more than that.

It really sucks that Fox has that much influence. I hate those fucks.

Dark_Jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Dark_Jon

It's BS how publishers like EA listen to stupid news organizations like Fox News even though they don't even play games and instead ignore the people who actually give them money.

TorMasturba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By TorMasturba
    @natetodamax said:

" Cool, so instead of killing American soldiers in Afghanistan as the Taliban, I'll still be killing American soldiers in Afghanistan as they same character models, but a different name. Where's the logic in this? "

It's like in Southpark where they make a joke at over the top nature of censorship in the world by covering up the guns in a fake movie with walkie-talkies. 
    So now we'll have the Taliban running around dressed in a banana outfit with a turban on top and water pistols. 

Man up and grow some balls EA! You're meant to be fully grown adults aren't you?
    benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By benjaebe

I can see why they did it, but I'm still kind of disappointed that they succumbed to exterior pressure instead of making the game they wanted to make. It was just the multiplayer component - if someone's the cops, someone has to be the robbers. People still play cowboys and Indians. In WW2 games you play as the Nazi's. It's only "controversial" because the media made it so "controversial." I found the airport scene in Modern Warfare 2 to be way more controversial than "playing as the Taliban," but Activision didn't self-censor that.

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
    shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#36  Edited By shivermetimbers
    @benjaebe said:
    " I can see why they did it, but I'm still kind of disappointed that they succumbed to exterior pressure instead of making the game they wanted to make. It was just the multiplayer component - if someone's the cops, someone has to be the robbers. People still play cowboys and Indians. In WW2 games you play as the Nazi's. It's only "controversial" because the media made it so "controversial." I found the airport scene in Modern Warfare 2 to be way more controversial than "playing as the Taliban," but Activision didn't self-censor that. "
    Activison didn't self-censor that because they knew the game would sell millions to almost billions of copies.
    meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By meteora

Well, that was expected. EA likes to try to keep its image clean as much as possible now, so they're a bit more erm, "responsible" with their image. 

Its really just a simple name change. What we have to blame isn't the publisher since they're trying to keep their image together and make some money, but the god forsaken stupid media.

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Meowshi
    @Donos said:
    " @Jayross said:

" We still kill the Taliban in the singleplayer. This is typical American bullshit. They are fine killing the enemy, but as soon as it goes the other way around... BAM! I wonder if someone will ever make a movie from the Taliban's perspective, like "Letters from Iwo Jima"/The Middle East. "

Single player is telling a story about American soldiers, who really are killing Taliban.  If someone decided to create a Taliban perspective campaign with American soldiers being killed, I'd be fine with it because that's they story they're telling, and I think most other people would deem it acceptable as well, if not be entirely comfortable with it, because it's telling a story.The issue with MoH's multiplayer is that unlike single player, multiplayer neccessarily trivializes its subject matter in favor of fun.  How is it bullshit for Americans to be uncomfortable with real events really killing other Americans being trivialized and sold? I'm Canadian, and I'm sure as hell not comfortable with it. "
    "Telling the story". 

Please.  It's a video game.  It's made for fun.  You're participating in the Afghanistan war because it's fun.  You're killing terrorists and seeing your American comrades being killed, because it makes the game a more fun, enjoyable experience.  The singleplayer is no different from the multiplayer just because it has cutscenes.  Get real.
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By RsistncE

I don't think I can support a developer that decides to stunt its own creative vision for some neo-con fucktards who don't realize that their kids went into the military by CHOICE. Sure they didn't change any actual content...all they did was change the word Taliban to Op-For, but I guess it's about the principle. I might check it out later on down the line when it drops in price for single player, but as they would say, "This straw broke the camels back." At least for me it did.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#40  Edited By Gabriel

Looks like the Terrorists won. 

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ch13696

God damn republicans and Fox news.

Evil_Alaska

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Evil_Alaska

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but since the game comes out on the 12th wouldn't it have been printed already? If the games were printed already are they just going to patch this in? 

What I'm trying to get at is that couldn't this just be a bunch of bullshit and they were going to be named Opposing Force all along and this Taliban thing was just to gain media coverage?

Malakhii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Malakhii

Lost free publicity by doing this, because any publicity is good publicity. Especially because the type of people who were criticizing this game seem to be the type of dopes who lead even more people to come out and support it. 

SammydesinasNL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By SammydesinasNL

I can see the new FOX article coming: 

'The new game in the violent un-american MOH series now lets players kill people who aren't even recognised as the taliban. Naturally this means that our children will no longer oppose the Taliban and join Al'Qaeda.' 

I'm done.
    Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#46  Edited By Vinny_Says

Awaiting the Brad Nicholson news article because BRAD NICHOLSON IS THE ONLY VIDEOGAME JOURNALIST I CAN TRUST!!!

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#47  Edited By ThePickle

Lame. 

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Free publicity ho!

beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By beej

Really I'm just sad that a controversy stirred up for the large part by a lady who's argument breaks down to "WW2 games aren't about real people" actually managed to change something.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#50  Edited By JJOR64
    @KaosAngel said:
    " Fucking pussies.  Man up and support what you do. "
    I agree.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.