Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jun 12, 2008

In 2014, war has become so routine that it is at the core of the global economy. A rapidly aging Solid Snake picks up his gun and embarks upon his final mission in this epic tale of tactical espionage action -- the conclusion to the Solid Snake saga.

MGS as FPS Session #2 - Meeting Metal Gear Mk. II > Advent Palace

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

Edited By zanzibarbreeze

Click on the above "MGS as FPS" banner to access all previous MGS as FPS posts.

Session #2 saw me playing more of the game, with weapons that could be customized and would be more friendly to the first-person shooter experience.

I'll be carrying out a "liveblog" of sorts on my Twitter account. You can find me at @mgscholar. All MGS as FPS-related tweets will be hashtagged #mgsasfps. Click here for a full chronicle of events. I've suggested that some other people jump in with the same hashtag, so if they do we'll get a full melange of Metal Gear Solid 4 FPS experience tweets.

Session 2: Meeting Metal Gear Mk. II > Advent Palace (after FROGS battle)

• It was nice finally starting with weapons that I had chosen. Although I appreciate that in typical first-person shooters you'd get a progression of weapons, from handguns up to explosives, here I just went ahead and equipped M4 custom (suppressed), the Operator (suppressed), the HK MP5 (suppressed), and that sniper rifle that's also suppressed.
    • After "meeting" Otacon in the bombed-out building, the game immediately presents you with the chance to take out four or five patrolling enemies. I dispatched them immediately using the M4 with a dot sight equipped. I also had the Solid Eye equipped, making it easier to differentiate the enemies from the militia. Deciding to kill rather than to stun was a simple decision to make; I don't want enemies reviving themselves all of a sudden. This portion of the game has you situated just before reaching the militia's underground tunnels. I demoed out each weapon on the enemies. The sniper rifle forces you into the scope, which is typical for first-person shooters anyway, but with a game like Metal Gear Solid 4 I did find myself rushing to eliminate the enemies I had chosen and revert back to another, scopeless weapon. The blacked-out surroundings while looking through the scope in that thin, tunnel vision was unsettling, and I wanted to see as much of the environment as possible. The handgun was weak and effectively useless. I cannot foresee using it all that much. I preferred the M4 over the MP5SD (although its use would come later).
    • Picking up ammunition didn't seem to be too much of a problem early on. On problem I did encounter and eventually ended up remedying was the dot sight on the M4. Although it's intended to be useful, it's really blocky and takes up a lot of the screen, so I just did away with it after meeting Drebin. This means looking down the iron sights which are still surprisingly adequate.
    • I don't think I'll be strictly going for headshots throughout the game. There just isn't the need - I'm fast enough on the trigger to take down one enemy of two enemies working together with bodyshots, especially using the M4.
    • On major issue I encountered was trying to change weapon while using the M4. For the M4's secondary fire I've equipped a shotgun attachment. The problem is that the secondary fire is activated with R2, the same button used to change weapons. Furthermore, you can't actually change weapons while in first-person view. It's a bit like a dance attempting to switch firearms, and more often than not I'm ending up setting off the very, very loud shotgun attachment, which is irritating.
    • The next area to pass through was the militia's underground. By now they liked me, so there was no need for stealth. The effect created by the night-vision/thermal goggles (or night-vision solid eye, rather) is very nice, and it's certainly one of the best effects I've seen on any action game on the PlayStation 3. I did go down dead ends several times because it was a bit hard to keep track of where I was going, but this was not a major issue.
    • The cutscene with Drebin was very amusing, merely for the number of times "the system" and "nanomachines" came up. Unfortunately, I didn't have the foresight to count the number of times the "war economy" was invoked.
    • After leaving Drebin, the game has you navigate a platforming section in a shelled-out house. It essentially consists of climbing up ledges, crawling under ledges and the like. This was very difficult using the first-person view, and I even caught myself once wishing that I could just switch to the third-person camera. I resisted, however, leading to me getting lost several times. Having Otacon eventually guide me through the entire thing from start to finish was irritating.
    • The fighting sections in the streets here saw a real change in the way the enemy played the game. For one, I found myself being spotted a lot more. For example, I'd walk past an alleyway that happened to be a spawn point right when an enemy was spawning. This caught me out several times. Then, I happened to emerge behind enemy lines and almost got slaughtered. Thankfully I was able to flee to safety, under the guard of the militia. (Well, they just happened to be taking most of the bullets.)
    • The next section was getting through Advent Palace where we first meet Rat Patrol Team 01. Much of the building is mined with claymores and sleep-gas grenades. I ended up crawling through the majority of the building, as I was on low health and didn't want to use a ration - I knew the cutscene would restore my health and stamina, and nullify the stress gauge. Running around, even in first-person view, I knew I'd end up tripping a mine.
    • When I began the fight with the FROGS, I chose the MP5SD, under the belief it would be harder hitting with its faster rate of fire. What actually happened was just me using up a ton of ammunition without actually doing a whole lot of damage. It necessitated a trip to the Drebin Store (my first), and at that point I switched over to the M4. I quickly found that the shotgun attachment was deadly from close range, so that ended up being the method of death for many soldiers towards the end of the FROGS section. I also had to use a ration at this point.
    • I left the game in the carpark of Advent Palace, with one of the harder sections of Act 1 ahead.

Statistics

• Kills: 62 (previous 3, total now 65)
    • Stuns: 0 (previous 0, total now 0)
    • Cautions: 0 (previous 0, total now 0)
    • Alerts: 4 (previous 0, total now 4)
    • Drebin Store visits: 1 (previous 0, total now 1)
    • Rations used: 1 (previous 1, total now 2)
    • Continues: 0 (previous 0, total now 0)
    • Load screens: 4 (previous 4, total now 8)
    • Full time waiting for loads: 30 seconds (previous 198 seconds, total now 228 seconds)
    • Times the phrase "The System" was mentioned: 22 (previous 1, total now 23)
    • Times the phrase "proxy" was mentioned: 1 (previous 1, total now 2)
    • Times the phrase "nanomachine" was mentioned: 12 (previous 1, total now 13)
    • References to controls in cutscenes: 0 (previous 1, total now 3)
    If you want a full break down of the statistics and what they mean, please check the footer of the first blog post.
    zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By zanzibarbreeze

Click on the above "MGS as FPS" banner to access all previous MGS as FPS posts.

Session #2 saw me playing more of the game, with weapons that could be customized and would be more friendly to the first-person shooter experience.

I'll be carrying out a "liveblog" of sorts on my Twitter account. You can find me at @mgscholar. All MGS as FPS-related tweets will be hashtagged #mgsasfps. Click here for a full chronicle of events. I've suggested that some other people jump in with the same hashtag, so if they do we'll get a full melange of Metal Gear Solid 4 FPS experience tweets.

Session 2: Meeting Metal Gear Mk. II > Advent Palace (after FROGS battle)

• It was nice finally starting with weapons that I had chosen. Although I appreciate that in typical first-person shooters you'd get a progression of weapons, from handguns up to explosives, here I just went ahead and equipped M4 custom (suppressed), the Operator (suppressed), the HK MP5 (suppressed), and that sniper rifle that's also suppressed.
    • After "meeting" Otacon in the bombed-out building, the game immediately presents you with the chance to take out four or five patrolling enemies. I dispatched them immediately using the M4 with a dot sight equipped. I also had the Solid Eye equipped, making it easier to differentiate the enemies from the militia. Deciding to kill rather than to stun was a simple decision to make; I don't want enemies reviving themselves all of a sudden. This portion of the game has you situated just before reaching the militia's underground tunnels. I demoed out each weapon on the enemies. The sniper rifle forces you into the scope, which is typical for first-person shooters anyway, but with a game like Metal Gear Solid 4 I did find myself rushing to eliminate the enemies I had chosen and revert back to another, scopeless weapon. The blacked-out surroundings while looking through the scope in that thin, tunnel vision was unsettling, and I wanted to see as much of the environment as possible. The handgun was weak and effectively useless. I cannot foresee using it all that much. I preferred the M4 over the MP5SD (although its use would come later).
    • Picking up ammunition didn't seem to be too much of a problem early on. On problem I did encounter and eventually ended up remedying was the dot sight on the M4. Although it's intended to be useful, it's really blocky and takes up a lot of the screen, so I just did away with it after meeting Drebin. This means looking down the iron sights which are still surprisingly adequate.
    • I don't think I'll be strictly going for headshots throughout the game. There just isn't the need - I'm fast enough on the trigger to take down one enemy of two enemies working together with bodyshots, especially using the M4.
    • On major issue I encountered was trying to change weapon while using the M4. For the M4's secondary fire I've equipped a shotgun attachment. The problem is that the secondary fire is activated with R2, the same button used to change weapons. Furthermore, you can't actually change weapons while in first-person view. It's a bit like a dance attempting to switch firearms, and more often than not I'm ending up setting off the very, very loud shotgun attachment, which is irritating.
    • The next area to pass through was the militia's underground. By now they liked me, so there was no need for stealth. The effect created by the night-vision/thermal goggles (or night-vision solid eye, rather) is very nice, and it's certainly one of the best effects I've seen on any action game on the PlayStation 3. I did go down dead ends several times because it was a bit hard to keep track of where I was going, but this was not a major issue.
    • The cutscene with Drebin was very amusing, merely for the number of times "the system" and "nanomachines" came up. Unfortunately, I didn't have the foresight to count the number of times the "war economy" was invoked.
    • After leaving Drebin, the game has you navigate a platforming section in a shelled-out house. It essentially consists of climbing up ledges, crawling under ledges and the like. This was very difficult using the first-person view, and I even caught myself once wishing that I could just switch to the third-person camera. I resisted, however, leading to me getting lost several times. Having Otacon eventually guide me through the entire thing from start to finish was irritating.
    • The fighting sections in the streets here saw a real change in the way the enemy played the game. For one, I found myself being spotted a lot more. For example, I'd walk past an alleyway that happened to be a spawn point right when an enemy was spawning. This caught me out several times. Then, I happened to emerge behind enemy lines and almost got slaughtered. Thankfully I was able to flee to safety, under the guard of the militia. (Well, they just happened to be taking most of the bullets.)
    • The next section was getting through Advent Palace where we first meet Rat Patrol Team 01. Much of the building is mined with claymores and sleep-gas grenades. I ended up crawling through the majority of the building, as I was on low health and didn't want to use a ration - I knew the cutscene would restore my health and stamina, and nullify the stress gauge. Running around, even in first-person view, I knew I'd end up tripping a mine.
    • When I began the fight with the FROGS, I chose the MP5SD, under the belief it would be harder hitting with its faster rate of fire. What actually happened was just me using up a ton of ammunition without actually doing a whole lot of damage. It necessitated a trip to the Drebin Store (my first), and at that point I switched over to the M4. I quickly found that the shotgun attachment was deadly from close range, so that ended up being the method of death for many soldiers towards the end of the FROGS section. I also had to use a ration at this point.
    • I left the game in the carpark of Advent Palace, with one of the harder sections of Act 1 ahead.

Statistics

• Kills: 62 (previous 3, total now 65)
    • Stuns: 0 (previous 0, total now 0)
    • Cautions: 0 (previous 0, total now 0)
    • Alerts: 4 (previous 0, total now 4)
    • Drebin Store visits: 1 (previous 0, total now 1)
    • Rations used: 1 (previous 1, total now 2)
    • Continues: 0 (previous 0, total now 0)
    • Load screens: 4 (previous 4, total now 8)
    • Full time waiting for loads: 30 seconds (previous 198 seconds, total now 228 seconds)
    • Times the phrase "The System" was mentioned: 22 (previous 1, total now 23)
    • Times the phrase "proxy" was mentioned: 1 (previous 1, total now 2)
    • Times the phrase "nanomachine" was mentioned: 12 (previous 1, total now 13)
    • References to controls in cutscenes: 0 (previous 1, total now 3)
    If you want a full break down of the statistics and what they mean, please check the footer of the first blog post.
    BackpackKat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By BackpackKat

This is interesting I couldnt imagine playing the game like this good luck.

Dariste1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Dariste1

Why did you quit doing this?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.