Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jun 12, 2008

In 2014, war has become so routine that it is at the core of the global economy. A rapidly aging Solid Snake picks up his gun and embarks upon his final mission in this epic tale of tactical espionage action -- the conclusion to the Solid Snake saga.

The Ending ***DUH SPOILERS**

sdwhitby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By sdwhitby

what did you guys thin of the ending, it took me completely by surprise when big boss is alive!? and the wedding part seemed a bit unnesessary for me

Avatar image for deactivated-5884be30433ec
    deactivated-5884be30433ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The wedding part was a little too vomit inducing. We could have definitely done without that.

xionpunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By xionpunk

Ah...I loved every minute of it.  Yeah I was a little WTF!? at the whole Akiba/Meryl gettin hitched, but its just Kojima's style.  Big Boss showing up made me Sh*t myself though.  Totally awesome...what a great payoff for the long time fans.  So saying that, I would be perfectly happy if this was the last MGS game ever made.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Shadow

I was completely surprised when Sunny said "he's my first outside friend" and then Drebin's monkey just grabbed her, threw her to the ground, crammed the soda can down her throat and beat her to death with a Desert Eagle.  I did not see that one coming.

Met2609

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Met2609

I loved the ending, it was the ultimate fan service. I had hoped ever since seeing that initial poster popped up with Big Boss on it that he'd be in the game. By the time I reached Act 5, I had given up that hope. Up until the first set of credits rolled, I was super disappointed with the ending. When that final line of the credits read Big Boss, I was shocked. The rest is history.

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Otacon

Yeah it was satisfactory, I don't think that it could have ended in a better way for an MGS game, with a final shock reveal. The way the ending was structured actually reminded me of Return Of The King in a way.

DaveF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By DaveF

I didn't really like the wedding. And Snake should have killed himself, it would have a so much more epic ending than having Big Boss repeat himself about 5 times.

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#8  Edited By Dolphin_Butter

The ending was fantastic, but that's coming from a fan of the series.  I honestly thought Snake should have killed himself, but that's just me.

kenzo287

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By kenzo287

The ending really closed it up like it was supposed to.

AutomaticSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10  Edited By AutomaticSnake

The ending was awesome... well the parts with big boss and snake. The wedding and the raiden scenes... not so great.

RooBoys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By RooBoys

I think Snake commiting suicide would have added more of an impact to the ending.

AndyWilliams24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By AndyWilliams24

We needed to know what happened to Raiden as his future was built up throughout the story "you have to much to live for" etc.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By HandsomeDead

I really liked all of the ending apart from Snake not killing himself and Big Boss coming back and taking forever to die for no real reason other than to be a final reference for fans.

NinjaMunkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By NinjaMunkey

The wedding bit was just there to tie up what happened to them.

Bigg Boss took a while to die, but overall I enjoyed it.

I really wish that they ended it in the same way they did in MGS3, with that bit with the trumpets at the end.

Avatar image for twistedlogic149
    twistedlogic149

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By twistedlogic149

MGS3 and MGS2 still have the best endings, in my opinion. MGS4's ending was full of cheese and Deus Ex Machina, which I didn't like. Kojima is worse than Tim Kring with Heroes when it comes to keeping characters dead... the Big Boss bit was cool, but still unnecessary. Not to mention... how long did it take that old geezer to keel over and die!? His death scene lasted way too long.

I dunno... the ending here just felt nowhere near as epic and grandiose as the endings to the previous three MGS games.
    Turtlefuzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Turtlefuzz

I liked the ending, but mostly from what I've heard. I only played the 4th game after Brad said how amazing it was, I agree it's a great game but I have no idea what was going on 65% of the time playing it, but from what I could gather I enjoyed the ending, people have said that it closes all the gaps, I believe it. I thought it was cool seeing Big Boss, I do know who that is. But, mostly with Liquid's death, it was nice. Bad guys always die!

I also agree that Big Boss took about 5 hours to die.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By Red

I dunno. I probably would've been happier if Big Boss didn't show up. I mean, Snake was a hero and he derserved to have a hero's rest. Big Boss just got kind of confusing.

"Wait, Big Boss is alive? And now he's dieing from Fox Die? The patriots were...something" and it really stunk to have had an ending to such a fantastic game where you're left saying "That was too complicated."

Everything else was fine though.

They needed the part with Raiden.

blu_magnet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By blu_magnet
    Red said:
    "I dunno. I probably would've been happier if Big Boss didn't show up. I mean, Snake was a hero and he derserved to have a hero's rest. Big Boss just got kind of confusing.

"Wait, Big Boss is alive? And now he's dieing from Fox Die? The patriots were...something" and it really stunk to have had an ending to such a fantastic game where you're left saying "That was too complicated."

Everything else was fine though.

They needed the part with Raiden.
    "
    Agreed. The Big Boss scene was alright but he just spoke for too long and kept repeating himself quite a lot. Still it was brilliant on every other level and i still get chills when i go to play MGO and the opening scene with Snake in the graveyard shows up.
    TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By TheGTAvaccine

Loved it.

Homer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Homer

I thought it was a great ending.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.