Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection

Game » consists of 60 releases. Released Nov 08, 2011

A compilation of several remastered Metal Gear titles: Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty, Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker, plus hundreds of VR missions and both classic MSX2 Metal Gear games.

I've never played a Metal Gear game and i'm jumping in, advice?

• 53 results
    UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By UnrealDP

Well, I have played about an hour of Peace Walker, but I have no goddamn clue as to what was going on story wise, so i'm jumping into the series with this HD collection and am totally confused as to which game I should play first. I love Splinter Cell and most stealth games in general, but is Metal Gear solid 1 the place I should start? Any other tips?

EDIT: Okay, I know what i'm playing first now, thanks for the help duders! MGS1 here I come!

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By FluxWaveZ

The story will make no sense if you don't start from the beginning. Going from MGS1 to MGS4 in numerical order is the way to go, in my opinion. MGS3 takes place before the other games chronologically, but you'll still miss several references that would otherwise make sense had you played MGS1/MGS2 before that. There's no point to playing them in an erratic order.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Cloudenvy

If you don't intend on playing MGS1, don't think too hard about the story.

But you definitely should play MGS1.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TentPole

MGS 1 is a must. There are ways to play it. Find one.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By N7

Yeah, no offense, but if you have no idea what you're getting into, don't pay attention to the story.

Unless you start with 3. Then you're probably okay.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By asurastrike

I played the games in chronological order, MGS3, MGS1,MGS2, MGS4. Worked out pretty well for me.

jkuc316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By jkuc316

@Asurastrike said:

I played the games in chronological order, MGS3, MGS1,MGS2, MGS4. Worked out pretty well for me.

And Peace walker would be in between MGS3 and MGS1, in case you want to play it.

Spiegel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Spiegel

Yeah, play them in order of release, you'll get the most out of the games this way. Download MGS1 from PSN before playing the others (you can skip the old MSX games that come with MGS3, as MGS1 does a fine job in telling you the important stuff). Don't worry, the graphics are really dated of course, but the game itself holds up pretty well.

Also, you'll get some mindfucks in MGS2, in a lot of ways... just accept the fact that the game tries to touch on a lot of subjects that are not exactly related to the plot (which includes the mindfucks themselves), some kind of post-modern shit or something, and just enjoy the ride. MGS3 and 4 will put everything together.

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By UnrealDP

@N7 said:

Yeah, no offense, but if you have no idea what you're getting into, don't pay attention to the story. Unless you start with 3. Then you're probably okay.

I'm always treated to tons of craziness every time I see anything Metal Gear related and i really like stealth games, so I don't want to just ignore the story, also nice user picture duder!

@Asurastrike said:

Doesn't MGS 3 have a bunch of foreshadowing and the like that would be a great payoff if i played them by order or release?

@TentPole said:

My only concern is gameplay wise. Does it play well enough to tolerate or should I just watch a lets play or something then go onto the following ones?

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By N7

Well Snake Eater is the prequel that puts some things in prospective. But then it spawns off into its own arc with Portable Ops and Peace Walker. Portable Ops is dumb and dumb, but Peace Walker awesome.

You won't get a majority of MGS2 by not having played MGS1, but MGS3 and Peace Walker, you're good on.

EDIT: But seeing as how MGS2 looks really bad in HD(Not as good as MGS3, that's for damn sure) you should probably play that first, then MGS3, then Peace Walker.

And thanks. :) You too.

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By UnrealDP

@NeoGamer said:

Yeah, play them in order of release, you'll get the most out of the games this way. Download MGS1 from PSN before playing the others (you can skip the old MSX games that come with MGS3, as MGS1 does a fine job in telling you the important stuff). Don't worry, the graphics are really dated of course, but the game itself holds up pretty well.

Also, you'll get some mindfucks in MGS2, in a lot of ways... just accept the fact that the game tries to touch on a lot of subjects that are not exactly related to the plot (which includes the mindfucks themselves), some kind of post-modern shit or something, and just enjoy the ride. MGS3 and 4 will put everything together.

Okay, so it does hold up. Good to hear! I'm playing mainly for story and a bit for gameplay, so the mindfucks kinda are what i'm looking for, so no problems there.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#12  Edited By ArbitraryWater

MGS1 is a little rough to play in this day and age, but you kind of have to play it for the story to make any kind of sense. This is the part where I'd recommend Twin Snakes, having the systems of MGS2 and certainly being easier on the eyes, but then people will yell at me for various reasons, most of them pertaining to "Matrix style cutscenes" and the inferior new voice acting or something of that measure.

mac_n_nina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mac_n_nina

u need to play mgs1 otherwise u will have no street cred when it comes to mgs

also u need to play 3 and 4

2 can be skipped just because u dont play as snake aside from the prologue

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Enigma777

Bunch of idiots here. You play them in numerical order and PW at the end. Anyone tell you otherwise is a lying sack of shit that's lower than the hooves of a 300-pound pig covered in elephant semen. 

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By time allen

@Enigma777 said:

Bunch of idiots here. You play them in numerical order and PW at the end. Anyone tell you otherwise is a lying sack of shit that's lower than the hooves of a 300-pound pig covered in elephant semen.

poetic as fuck

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Karl_Boss

Get a playstation 1 and play the original

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By UnrealDP

@Unknown_Pleasures said:

Done, i'm also gonna play gonna go dig up some MSX carts of the originals just to be on the safe side.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MikkaQ

Most of the games get tied to MGS1 pretty tightly. Some of the most influential events from that game reverberate all the way up to 4. And it gives you a good background to base playthroughs of 3 and Peacewalker on.

I think you should try and play the games in order of release, 1, 2, 3, 4 and Peacewalker, though to be honest you can go straight to peacewalker after 3, then play 4 and not be that confused. Might be a little easier, infact.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By toowalrus

@FluxWaveZ said:

The story will make no sense if you don't start from the beginning. Going from MGS1 to MGS4 in numerical order is the way to go, in my opinion. MGS3 takes place before the other games chronologically, but you'll still miss several references that would otherwise make sense had you played MGS1/MGS2 before that. There's no point to playing them in an erratic order.

That's true- you need that sense of nostalgia with you so that when Snake has a nightmare that he's back in MGS1 and the graphics are all old-school, you get a really stupid grin on your face... Though I only played half of MGS1, and download those "Metal Gear Solid 2: The Movie" type torrents, which is just all of the cutscenes and codec conversations stitched together into like a 12 hour film, and that seemed to do the trick. I'm totally going to get around to playing them, and the PSP ones too, eventually.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Enigma777
    @UnrealDP said:

@Unknown_Pleasures said:

Done, i'm also gonna play gonna go dig up some MSX carts of the originals just to be on the safe side.

Or you can just pick it up from the PSN for $10... Also MG1+2 are both found in MGS3: Subsistence (which is in the HD Collection).
    UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By UnrealDP

@Enigma777 said:

@UnrealDP said:

@Unknown_Pleasures said:

Or you can just pick it up from the PSN for $10... Also MG1+2 are both found in MGS3: Subsistence (which is in the HD Collection).

PSN? Dude, play the game like it was meant to be played!!! Also, if you don't watch the MGS2 trailer DVD's immediately after completion, then why did you even bother in the first place....

ProfessorK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By ProfessorK

Tip wise, try to get used to luring soldiers with the knocking on the wall, it works wonders. And in MGS3 be aware that you can tranq animals and such. Using those captured snakes and spiders can produce hilarious results when you throw them at the enemies. Oh, and when fight Young Ocelot use non lethal means to take him down. You get one of the better and easy to get camos in the game. Same for the Fear but that one drains your stamina.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Enigma777
    @UnrealDP: Good point. Also the Psycho Mantis boss battle just isn't the same.
    UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By UnrealDP

@ProfessorK: Gotcha! I'll check this thread while i'm playing through three to read up on that again! Thanks duder!

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By UnrealDP

@Enigma777 said:

@UnrealDP: Good point. Also the Psycho Mantis boss battle just isn't the same.

Well duh, everyone knows that! Just like how everyone knows the only real way to play an MGS game is on European Extreme...

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SSully

If you don't have a way to play the first, or just don't want to then its not a huge deal. Read up on the story on wikipedia. I never fully played the first game, but I still am fully up with the story and have loved every other MGS game.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By TentPole

Do not play MGS2 without playing the first one under any circumstances. The first still plays really good anyway. Looks like shit though.

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By UnrealDP

@SSully: It's just in MGS3, right? Is it on the main menu or something, because i'm getting the 360 version due to my lack of a functioning PS3.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#29  Edited By JasonR86

@UnrealDP:

Have measured expectations. If you go in thinking you're going to play a great game then you'll likely be disappointed. The mechanics in all of the games, even in 3, 4, and Peace Walker, are kind of antiquated. People call these games great, in large part, due to nostalgia. It might be hard playing these games for the first time now compared to back when they were first released.

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By UnrealDP

@JasonR86: I think i'm mainly doing it for the story, but yeah, i've got tempered expectations for what awaits me in the gameplay department. I'm really doing this because every time I see anything metal gear related i'm rendered completely and totally baffled by how any of it could fit into a coherent storyline.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#31  Edited By JasonR86

@UnrealDP said:

@JasonR86: I think i'm mainly doing it for the story, but yeah, i've got tempered expectations for what awaits me in the gameplay department. I'm really doing this because every time I see anything metal gear related i'm rendered completely and totally baffled by how any of it could fit into a coherent storyline.

Heh, well...have measured expectations for the storyline too.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By SSully

@UnrealDP said:

@SSully: It's just in MGS3, right? Is it on the main menu or something, because i'm getting the 360 version due to my lack of a functioning PS3.

The First MGS? No, Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 are on the HD collection, but those are games from the NES era that have little to no connection with the Metal Gear Solid plot. It is confusing, but just think that Metal Gear Solid is what you are concerned about. I am not knocking the NES games, they are good for what they are, but nothing to trouble yourself over if you are looking for story.

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By UnrealDP

@SSully: Oh....Well, I guess i'm going to watch a lets play of MGS1 then. I thought MGS1 and MG1 were the same thing.... That's pretty convoluted...

solidejake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By solidejake

Don't play Twin Snakes! And yeah, welcome aboard the MGS train. Wonderful series. Without playing 1, you won't understand the whole "Liquid's arm" and Patriots thing, and they're recurring! But you can just learn as you go. Have fun. They're not like any other games, so they might take some getting used to.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#35  Edited By Hizang

If your not getting MGS1 your not going to get much out of MGS2, but still you should go MGS2, MGS3, MGSPW.

Oh and expect mad craziness.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#36  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Yeah, you have to play through MGS1 if you want to truly enjoy the series.

habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By habster3

Find either a PS1 or a functioning PS3 and play MGS1! You will get more out of the games of you do so! Seriously! Also, even if it does feel pretty dated, it's my favorite in the series (with 2 and 4 tying close behind): Bad AI (in an enjoyable way), awesome boss battles, surprisingly-interesting gimmicks, double disc action, a fantastic storyline (all of them have one, but this one avoids some of the craziness), moments that strangely reminded me of Die Hard (Communications Towers A and B), etc. Get it! It's awesome!

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By SSully

@UnrealDP: Yeah exactly. And if you don't have a ps3 then it might be a little tough to find and play MGS1. I started playing MGS series back on PS2 and I had trouble finding a copy of MGS1, which is why I just skipped it. You will be fine without it, trust me.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By LiquidPrince

@TentPole said:

This. Can't play and enjoy fully without one.

Avatar image for uomoartificiale
    uomoartificiale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By uomoartificiale

my advice: play any game you want first, but make sure to check out the controls before playing. There's no a proper complete tutorial on the controls and they can get pretty complex, multi.layered, and definitely unconventional (in MGS1, MGS2 and MGS3 you fire the guns with the square button). Especially MS3 has strange controls that require some attention. Once you mastered it, though, it's really satisfying to pull off crazy mgs moves!

These game are meant to be played like "a snake", mastering the battlefield, feeling like a badass. So check for guides online to get a round up of the controls and then use the first levels to train a bit before adventuring in too much. You will get alot more enjoyement from the game this way.

Daneian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

#41  Edited By Daneian

MGS1-3, Portable Ops, MGS4, Peace Walker

Or just get the digital graphic novel of MGS1.

sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By sickVisionz

I started with 4 and it made sense. I'm good with context clues though.

Bowlisimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Bowlisimo

A friend wrote this to me when I started the series (MGS first), and it has proven to be bang-on, so I figured I'd pass on the wisdom (if you don't mind a few paragraphs and an opera analogy):

"@bowlisimo Good. You’re ready to enjoy one of those “the damndest things” in video gaming, and (arguably) my favorite “gaming thing” of all time.

Metal Gear defies rational explanation. Equal parts profound and absurd, operatic and sublimely ridiculous it will slip back and forth between legitimate genius and heartfelt character moments to monkeys wearing diapers and rolling around in an oil drum while wearing a crocodile head ON your head at a moment’s notice. THERE WILL BE NO WARNINGS between these transitions – they will just happen.

My newfound knowledge of the Ring Cycle will be a good illustration here. When Wagner first announced that he was crafting a 4-day-long 20 hour opera that would encapsulate ALL ELEMENTS OF THE HUMAN CONDITION (exclamation marks) in some kind of giant art-to-end-all-art-goddammit-I’ll-show-THEM event, everybody at the time laughed their heads off. There was NO way. It’s not how Operas worked, it’s not how MUSIC worked, it’s not how ART was supposed to work. Even after the first performance, Nietzsche described the experience as “being released from prison” it was so awful but here was Richard over in the corner, doin’ his own thing. Knowing that he was a genius amidst all the hate.

The thing with the Ring though: 150 years later we all recognize it as a work of straight-up brilliance. Wagner was onto something here with his leitmotifs and layered narratives and people running around with Viking hats on. It’s totally ridiculous, sure. Utterly. But it also contains so much raw art and just great stuff dumping from Richard’s brain to yours that it’s impossible to deny that it is, indeed, “a hell of a thing”. Metal Gear is like that. It’s the most god-damn-game-ish of any video game. It exists purely within the genre. You cannot explain to outsiders why running around shooting gerogero frogs and dressing up in poop camo can be profound or cinematic or how a guy who shoots bees out of his body can coexist with thoughtful political meditations about the cold war and mother-son relationships BUT THEY CAN.

Kojima’s things there are some of the purest examples of auteur-to-audience delivery in the gaming landscape and totally mind-blowing when you consider what the pulse was like in the (FF VII) era from which the first MGS detonated on the landscape. Sure, the Wizard of Oz or the Exorcist don’t shock in 2011 like they did once upon a time, but the EFFECT of their existence pushed the whole art form forwards kicking and screaming. You’re in for a treat."

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By leebmx

In any situation just go in all guns blazing.....

cheesebob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By cheesebob

You could always just read up on what happened in MGS1 before you play 2

owack6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By owack6

What if i just want play MGS 4 can anyone recommend a good site to bring me up to speed on the story madness?

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By kingzetta

MGS3 is the 1st in the story but MGS2 is less complicated with no camo or cure or stamina 

cheesebob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By cheesebob

@owack6: Wikipedia

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#49  Edited By EpicSteve

So long as you understand the story is ludicrous and the only people that can detail the mythology are madmen.

jasonefmonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#50  Edited By jasonefmonk

@JasonR86: I'd argue the controls in 4 are fantastic. They make full use of the pressure sensitivity and feel ahead of the times.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.