Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection

Game » consists of 60 releases. Released Nov 08, 2011

A compilation of several remastered Metal Gear titles: Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty, Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker, plus hundreds of VR missions and both classic MSX2 Metal Gear games.

So, MGS HD collection? Great... But I have question...

vdortizo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By vdortizo

So I just woke up to the news that Konami is publishing this collection in November and a question comes to my mind. How is Kojima productions going to work the pressure sensitive controls in the Xbox 360 version of MGS 2 & 3. Since the buttons on the Xbox 360 controllers are not pressure sensitive and the whole control scheme of the game was greatly based around that?

Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to be a troll here, I'm sure Kojima productions will find a way to translate the experiene in a great manner. But I played MGS 2 on a PS2 & on PC (both with a gamepad) and I have to say the lack of pressure sensitivity on the PC really made the game awkward to control. So how do you guys think they will translate the pressure sensitivity stuff to the 360??

PS: Please move this if it is in the wrong section...

Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By Tordah

Pressure sensitive controls? Sorry, but I only played the Xbox version of MGS2 (which was an awesome version of that game) so I have no idea what you're talking about.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Hopefully by using the L and R triggers, or some form of decent control scheme. 
    Having to use the same button to aim AND shoot is one of the worst control set ups I've ever seen in a game and made MGS2 and 3 harder than they needed to be, just because you could never be confident of when you were going to be able to fire the damn gun.

vdortizo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By vdortizo
    @Tordah: It's easy to explain, in MGS2 depending on the pressure that you put on the controller buttons you could do all sorts of things, like if you barely pressed a button you would shoot one bullet from your gun but if you pressed harder it would go semi-auto, or you could just choke hold someone when you pressed softly and broke their neck if you pressed hard... In MGS 3 you could do a lot of different CQC moves depending on the combination and how you pressed buttons.
    Avatar image for deactivated-589cf9e3c287e
    deactivated-589cf9e3c287e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

@vdortizo: I have a bigger problem...

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots isn't in it.
    vdortizo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By vdortizo
    @c0l0nelp0c0rn1: Nice, I love that damn chipmunk... And yeah too bad MGS4 isn't in it. I guess it would be too expensive to port it along with the other games or Sony has some exclusivity contract... and the 7+ DVDs that it would require...
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @vdortizo said:
    @c0l0nelp0c0rn1: Nice, I love that damn chipmunk... And yeah too bad MGS4 isn't in it. I guess it would be too expensive to port it along with the other games or Sony has some exclusivity contract...
    More likely because the fact that it's still a fairly new game..  The PS3 version still goes for a decent price, and if it were to be ported to the Xbox, they could easily charge full price for it. 
    But MGS4 wasn't very good, so no big loss.  Not having MGS1 is the bigger problem..  even if they couldn't make it HD, they could have just thrown on the original version for completion sake.
    BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By BonOrbitz

My question is why no MGS 1 in this collection and no Silent Hill 1 on that collection? Am I missing something?

vdortizo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By vdortizo
    @WinterSnowblind said:
    But MGS4 wasn't very good, so no big loss.
    I think MGS4 was very good (the fanboy in me says it was excellent and a masterpiece, but I try to not listen to him much), to me it goes right along with what I have come to expect from Kojima productions (crazy + more crazy). But, I get where you're coming from; the game did have a lot of flaws and it could have been much better.
    obcdexter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#10  Edited By obcdexter
    @bonorbitz said:
    My question is why no MGS 1 in this collection and no Silent Hill 1 on that collection? Am I missing something?
    They'd have to redo them both from scratch. Well, unless they'd port Twin Snakes, that is.
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @vdortizo: Well for me MGS2 and 4 really let the series down.. Although the final two chapters of 4 are very cool and almost make up for the rest of it, I did especially love the last boss fight. 
    But I can't ignore the problems I had with the rest of it.  It was very plodding, uninteresting, lacked character development (especially for the bosses) and they just seemed to be in a rush to resolve every single plot thread, no matter how stupid the resolution was.
    BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BonOrbitz
    @obcdexter said:

@bonorbitz said:

They'd have to redo them both from scratch. Well, unless they'd port Twin Snakes, that is.
    If I get these collections it'll feel like I'm missing out on something... LIke, the games that launched these franchises! I guess I understand from a technical standpoint, but I still think it's lame. It's a good thing I have Twin Snakes and PSN for Silent Hill 1.

Edit: I don't mean to troll about this. I am happy that these collections are coming out, but I wish they were complete. It feels so odd to me to not have the first titles in these collections.
    vdortizo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By vdortizo
    @bonorbitz: I guess they would have to remake Silent hill to put it into the collection and in the case of MGS 1 probably port Twin Snakes. Maybe it becomes too expensive for them...

Now a better question would be are we getting MGS2: Substance or Sons of Liberty? And will we get Snake Eater or Subsistance and any online multiplayer for MGS 3?
    MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By MysteriousBob

Well they'll probably have to redo the controls for Peace Walker so I imagine MGS2 and 3 will receive altered controls.

Oh God, I hope MGS2 is given the Subsistence third person camera. MGS3 was such a better game with it. 

Not sure why MGS1 isn't included. I would suggest they mod Twin Snakes but I guess Silicon Knights own the rights to that..?

vdortizo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By vdortizo
    @WinterSnowblind said:
    @vdortizo: Well for me MGS2 and 4 really let the series down.. Although the final two chapters of 4 are very cool and almost make up for the rest of it, I did especially love the last boss fight. But I can't ignore the problems I had with the rest of it.  It was very plodding, uninteresting, lacked character development (especially for the bosses) and they just seemed to be in a rush to resolve every single plot thread, no matter how stupid the resolution was.
    Yeah, some plot resolutions were pretty stupid (I mean the whole Liquid Ocelot thing was so dumb & the ending for 2). But what can I say I'm a fanboy and my brain shuts down when playing these games so I don't analyze the storyline or character development or anything else for that matter, I just sit back and enjoy the crazy.
    Avatar image for deactivated-589cf9e3c287e
    deactivated-589cf9e3c287e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

@MysteriousBob: Porting the Twin Snakes would be too much work and the PS1 version can't really be HD without a complete rejiggering of the art assets.
    tekshow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#17  Edited By tekshow

There's a few ways to play MGS1, and for the reasons mentioned that's probably why it's not on there.  

I'm really looking forward to this collection, as I have never played MGS3. Wahoo! 

liquidmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#18  Edited By liquidmatt
    @c0l0nelp0c0rn1 said:

HD VERSIONS OF HD GAMES. WAT.
    Surkov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#19  Edited By Surkov
    @bonorbitz said:
    Both of those games are available on the PS Store if you're interested and want to get a head start.   
    BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BonOrbitz
    @Surkov said:
    @bonorbitz said:
    Both of those games are available on the PS Store if you're interested and want to get a head start.   
    Thanks! I have Twin Snakes on Gamecube, but I may just get SH1 on PSN...
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By xyzygy

I played through MGS2: Substance on European Extreme on the original Xbox and completed every single VR mission there was... and don't remember how the controls were. But, I DO know that the features that you could use in the original PS2 version were all there, like instead of killing someone from behind you'd knock them out for a bit by pressing something lighter. And shooting one bullet instead of a ton. I just don't remember how it was done.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vdortizo said:
    @Tordah: It's easy to explain, in MGS2 depending on the pressure that you put on the controller buttons you could do all sorts of things, like if you barely pressed a button you would shoot one bullet from your gun but if you pressed harder it would go semi-auto, or you could just choke hold someone when you pressed softly and broke their neck if you pressed hard... In MGS 3 you could do a lot of different CQC moves depending on the combination and how you pressed buttons.
    Didn't they just have a mechanic in 4 where you held it for both of those? That would make a lot of sense.
    Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#23  Edited By Hizang

What I think we really all want to know is why isn't Metal Gear Solid Ac!d in this collection!?

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By Yanngc33
    @bonorbitz maybe because they wanted to rerelease gamecube version, which was a nintendo exclusive and made by silicon knights
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By xyzygy

I'm just wondering, I seen on  Kotaku that there was separate box art for Peace Walker. Are all three games going to be in the same package or is it going to be a collection of MGS2 and 3 and then Peace Walker is alone in a separate package?

ShadowVirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

#26  Edited By ShadowVirus
    @Hizang said:

What I think we really all want to know is why isn't Metal Gear Solid Ac!d in this collection!?

I actually really liked Ac!d. 
    This HD collection looks cool because I really want to play MGS3 again, and I didn't hate MGS2 that much tbh. 
    Never played 4 or PW so will be cool to play PW, but I really want to play 1 again.
    vdortizo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By vdortizo
    @xyzygy: So far it's two boxes for Japan, I don't think anybody has mentioned how it's going to be for NA & Europe.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By xyzygy
    @vdortizo said:
    @xyzygy: So far it's two boxes for Japan, I don't think anybody has mentioned how it's going to be for NA & Europe.
    Yeah, it's important to note that the ICO collection in Japan is shipping in two different packages, IE you'll have to buy both games. NA's won't be like that. Maybe this will follow suit.
    Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29  Edited By Lukeweizer

@bonorbitz said:

They want you buy them off PSN? Maybe they get more money that way.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Lukeweizer

@liquidmatt said:

@c0l0nelp0c0rn1 said:

HD VERSIONS OF HD GAMES. WAT.

Are you saying they'd be HHDD? Or HDHD?

vdortizo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By vdortizo
    @xyzygy said:
    I played through MGS2: Substance on European Extreme on the original Xbox and completed every single VR mission there was... and don't remember how the controls were. But, I DO know that the features that you could use in the original PS2 version were all there, like instead of killing someone from behind you'd knock them out for a bit by pressing something lighter. And shooting one bullet instead of a ton. I just don't remember how it was done.
    I never owned an original Xbox but the Xbox controller also had pressure sensitive buttons. So I think that's why the Xbox version played the same as the PS2 version. Nevertheless those guys will find a way to make the control the same on both consoles.
    TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#32  Edited By TechnoSyndrome
    @xyzygy: For the Japanese version of the announcement video they filmed variations on a couple scenes, showing that the MGS HD Collection and the MGS Peace Walker HD releases are two separate things. In Japan the PS3 version of the HD Collection comes with 2, 3, and a download code for the PSN version of 1, and the 360 version just has 2 and 3. Peace Walker on the other hand will just be Peace Walker, but the PS3 version comes with a download code for the PSP version. They decided that for America they would bundle the HD Collections and Peace Walker together, though there's no word yet if the PS3 version will contain either of the download codes from the separate Japanese releases.
    vdortizo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By vdortizo
    @Taku128:  Hey watch it, or you're going to take Klepek' job, and we don't want him on the street do we? :)
    Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#34  Edited By Tordah
    @vdortizo: Ah, I see. It's been awhile since I played the Xbox version so I don't remember how the controls worked there, but I remember them working fine.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By xyzygy
    @Taku128 said:
    @xyzygy: For the Japanese version of the announcement video they filmed variations on a couple scenes, showing that the MGS HD Collection and the MGS Peace Walker HD releases are two separate things. In Japan the PS3 version of the HD Collection comes with 2, 3, and a download code for the PSN version of 1, and the 360 version just has 2 and 3. Peace Walker on the other hand will just be Peace Walker, but the PS3 version comes with a download code for the PSP version. They decided that for America they would bundle the HD Collections and Peace Walker together, though there's no word yet if the PS3 version will contain either of the download codes from the separate Japanese releases.
    So informative thank you! I hope they do the same thing as the ICO Collection and bundle them for NA.
    Hzaife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Hzaife

Why dont they just bundle codes in for Silent hill and MGS1, that would be good.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By AuthenticM

I would have like for them to include Portable Ops, at the very least.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By TwoOneFive

good question. theyll have to go back to what was done in MGS1. make everything double tap.  

even with the side menus pressing lightly opened the menus and hard would auto select

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By TwoOneFive
    @ShadowVirus said:
    @Hizang said:

I actually really liked Ac!d. This HD collection looks cool because I really want to play MGS3 again, and I didn't hate MGS2 that much tbh. Never played 4 or PW so will be cool to play PW, but I really want to play 1 again.
    no shame in that, MGS2 was a fantastic game. 
    solidejake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By solidejake

I can't wait for these. A good idea would be HD-re-releasing the entire series in some fashion. I would enjoy playing Metal Gear Acid 1 & 2 again, as well as Portable Ops. So maybe a PS2 collection, and a PSP collection bundle? I am just spitballing though.

Hameyadea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Hameyadea

That all 'HD Classics' idea is to bring PS2 games to the PS3, so PSOne games are not likely to be ported (such as MGS1 and Silent Hill 1). Secondly, I think I read somewhere that Peace Walker IS coming to the X360, but only the PS3 version will include Trasfarring.

Hameyadea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Hameyadea

@Anwar:

Could be.... Anyways, I know that Japan gets only MGS 2 and 3 on disc + DL code for PSOne version of MGS 1 and that NA and EU get MGS 2, 3 and PW on disc. About Transfarring, I'm pretty sure that it's gonna be worldwide, but until that package is released, we won't know for sure. It IS a Kojima product after all.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.