Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Mar 18, 2014

The stand-alone prelude to Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, giving players a taste of the new open-world gameplay mechanics while setting up the main game's story, as Snake (Big Boss) must infiltrate a prison camp to rescue his comrades.

Ground Zeroes TGS 2013 Stage Demo

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By artelinarose

So they showed this sucker off last night and it looks great! All of that stuff the journalists kept saying was all completely wrong and it looks like a pretty badass Metal Gear Solid game.

They're supposed to be showing off MGS5 on next gen hardware on "Saturday", but I am not sure if it's US Saturday or Japan Saturday. We'll see!

EDIT: OH MAN OH MAN OH MAN

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 17

Ground Zeroes looks like it's going to be a great opening to the game, looking forward to it.

Especially interested in those new time freeze moments upon being spotted.

JCGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By JCGamer

Game looks interesting. I like how they now allow you to track the outline of your enemies.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By artelinarose

@jcgamer said:

Game looks interesting. I like how they now allow you to track the outline of your enemies.

Yeah, that looks like they combined the hacking into SOP stuff from 4 and the enemy tagging from Peace Walker. This way makes a lot more sense and is much more useful. Now there's a point to keeping track of the enemies because you'll know where they're at as long as you don't break line of sight for too long.

@flstyle said:

Ground Zeroes looks like it's going to be a great opening to the game, looking forward to it.

Especially interested in those new time freeze moments upon being spotted.

I had mixed feelings on the slow mo upon being spotted thing until I thought about it. Pretty much every Metal Gear Solid game aside from 1 has given a few second long grace period between being spotted and the alert actually starting up. It seems this time they just finally decided "You know what, everybody just shoots the guy that spots them before the alarm even starts anyway so let's just put this in." It seems very useful but it also seems very easy to screw up, ESPECIALLY with multiple enemies.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By AlexanderSheen

Thanks for the video.

It was kind of awesome when he threw the guy's body to knock out another guard.

Also, I love Tomokazu Sugita (the dude on the radio who welcomed the audience.)

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for the video.

Metal Gear Solid has always kind of been a shenanigans simulator.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

@alexandersheen said:

Thanks for the video.

Metal Gear Solid has always kind of been a shenanigans simulator.

Indeed. Unlocking stealth in the original MGS = OODLES OF JOY AND MISCHIEF <3

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By lego_my_eggo

I still find it crazy that this is PS3/360 game. This and GTA V are a good way to end a generation.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By bigjeffrey

The new splinter cell game is looking great.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#11  Edited By GunstarRed

How should I go about getting this prisoner stealthily? Drive a car around the enemy base!

Bribo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Unconscious guys are the new cardboard boxes?

I don't know how I feel about that.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How should I go about getting this prisoner stealthily? Drive a car around the enemy base!

But the car was already being driven around the base! As long as they don't see him, who's to know it isn't the original driver!

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Need to watch this but WARFRAME!

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Looking pretty good! I'm a little disappointed to see the tranq pistol returning, and being as over-powered as it has been in the past. That's how I've ended up playing almost all of the last few MGS games. Just using that to knock everyone out on my way there. I was hoping they might change it up or something to make it less powerful, but I suppose I could just try to force myself not to use it.

That said, this (well, this and MGSV proper) are still my most anticipated game(s), and I think most of that stuff looks awesome. I know I'm harping about that tranq pistol now, but that's just nit-picking.

cloudnineboya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If someone told me this was on next gen consoles, i wouldn't argue with them,it looks so good.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If someone told me this was on next gen consoles, i wouldn't argue with them,it looks so good.

They're showing off how it looks on next gen hardware this weekend. I'm already completely blown away by how it looks on current gen hardware, I don't know how they'll top it...

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By Sooty

@artelinarose said:

@cloudnineboya said:

They're showing off how it looks on next gen hardware this weekend. I'm already completely blown away by how it looks on current gen hardware, I don't know how they'll top it...

Blown away, really? It looks like a good game for the current systems but come on now. It's amazing that some games in recent years were possible on machines with such outdated hardware but none of them are particularly impressive anymore, only in the sense that "Wow they actually got it working."

If this was a next gen game I would be pretty disappointed, but so far all these cross platform next gen games aren't impressive. (Watchdogs and ACIV just look like 'ok' PC versions of the same games)

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is the demo that journalists were slagging a few weeks ago? Don't know what they were expecting, but it looks like Metal Gear to me. I guess it's safe to assume that I won't really be able to trust any gaming outlets' opinions about this or Phantom Pain moving forward if they didn't find this impressive.

cloudnineboya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sooty said:

@artelinarose said:

@cloudnineboya said:

Blown away, really? It looks like a good game for the current systems but come on now. It's amazing that some games in recent years were possible on machines with such outdated hardware but none of them are particularly impressive anymore, only in the sense that "Wow they actually got it working."

If this was a next gen game I would be pretty disappointed, but so far all these cross platform next gen games aren't impressive. (Watchdogs and ACIV just look like 'ok' PC versions of the same games)

I Agree with @artelinarose yes i was blown away by how the game looks. did you watch the same video as me are you even commenting on the same game?.Ok this pc snobbery is getting out of control, first you were not impressed by gta ground textures in a huge open world game!! on a current gen ps3/xbox. But saying mgs ground zero is not impressive is crrazy, fuck me look at the lighting and color and shadow and texture on basically everything, look at the the part where the hanging cloth or whatever it is blowing in the wind,thats some witcher2 maxed out shit right there, well maxed out on my pc anyway. When looking at the hole picture and not scrutinizing every detail, first impression of this games is mind blowing to me and gta looks gorgeous, its lighting and color are impressive. Put it this way think of mgs 4 now compare to this, its night and day in comparison then add on top of that using vehicles that are in game any time, the new animations, the more open world approach could go on but yea it looks as good as any thing that i've seen from the new consoles so far, so boom to your negativity.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21  Edited By Seppli

Feels to me like Kojima and Co. spent a lot of time playing all the most influental Western games until they *got it*. Like really got it. They didn't just play them in a detached manner like extraterrestrials doing anal probe research on cattle for science. They got into it, and learned to love it. Real love and reverence, and in doing so, gaining real insight and honest heartfelt inspiration. Taking all the good stuff and making it their own.

Kinda unprecedented for a big Japanese developer. In the past it always felt forced and wrong when Japanese developers where out to do so. Just think of RE6. This however seems natural and honest. Koji Pro played a ton of Western games with an open mind, they fell in love with these games, and allowed that love to bleed into their DNA, and it shows. At least that's how it seems to me.

It's always great to feel like developers are players too, and not completely out of touch. Makes me believe that I'll be able to connect with MGS V (& Ground Zeroes, if it's a separate thing). It's going to be great. To a new age! Cheers!

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By artelinarose

Updated the OP with the daytime mission! Game looks INCREDIBLE OH MY GOSH

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

I am still confused as to how Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain are supposed to correlate. Are they the same game? Different games? Did Kojima finally break the fourth dimensional boundary and create some bizarre game that defies the laws of time and space?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Is it weird that I'm not really paying much attention to this despite it being my sole reason for wanting a PS4 right now? Its just one of those things that I know I'm going to like so much I don't even really see the point in looking at media or getting excited before I play it because I need no convincing.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#25  Edited By lego_my_eggo

@hailinel: Ground Zeroes is basically the first part of the story and sets everything up for Phantom Pain, and The Phantom Pain is the latter half of the story, together they make up the complete story of MGS5 according to Kojima.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

@hailinel said:

I am still confused as to how Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain are supposed to correlate. Are they the same game? Different games? Did Kojima finally break the fourth dimensional boundary and create some bizarre game that defies the laws of time and space?

Based on the language they've been using, I'd expect Ground Zeroes to be some sort of DL title like Case Zero but bigger. Maybe it will be included with copies of Lords of Shadow 2.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@hailinel said:

Based on the language they've been using, I'd expect Ground Zeroes to be some sort of DL title like Case Zero but bigger. Maybe it will be included with copies of Lords of Shadow 2.

If that were the case, I think that would be the only reason I'd ever even think of buying Lords of Shadow 2.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By artelinarose

@demoskinos said:

Is it weird that I'm not really paying much attention to this despite it being my sole reason for wanting a PS4 right now? Its just one of those things that I know I'm going to like so much I don't even really see the point in looking at media or getting excited before I play it because I need no convincing.

I am so super excited for this and I get where you're coming from, but this footage has alleviated a lot of my fears, ESPECIALLY with all of that worrying press coverage last week. I think it's great just how much the game has changed by simply opening up. It's still Metal Gear Solid but by changing the scale they've completely changed the structure of it. It's great. Also CQC looks super awesome, SO happy they kept the consecutive stuff.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#29  Edited By Yummylee

Real fuck yeah moment when Snake planted that mine forcing the trailing APC to soar above him into the water below. It's all looking really good so far, especially the gameplay, with what looks to be some pretty smooth controls and plenty of flexibility, like being able to dive into prone and then start shooting.

Not surprised that they've mostly shown a lot of the shooting, but it's good to know Phantom Pain will be fun for both sneaking around and fucking about in its open world.

EDIT: Right, the Ground Zeroes video shows them playing it stealthily... derp.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think one of the coolest looking things is being able to climb up stuff without having to place a box down first or be in co op.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.