Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid

Franchise »

A part of the Metal Gear series, often also considered its own series all the same.

Kojima Promises a True MGS Sequel

Johnny5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Johnny5

Hey guys, Hideo Kojima just posted this on his twitter account.

Kojima_Hideo 小島秀夫
    今日も同じ質問ばかりだった。旧RISINGも当初から雷電を主人公にした爽快アクションゲームを目指していた。いわゆるMGSではないスピンオフタイトル。プラチナさんによる新生RISINGもコンセプトは同じ。ステルス型MGSを望む方達にはいつか必ず出るであろう正統派続編を待って欲しい。

Source: https://twitter.com/#!/Kojima_Hideo/status/146422109181190146

My Japanese skills aren't amazing but they're enough to translate the rough meaning. To the best of my abilities, this is the translation.

Hideo Kojima
    Today was mostly the same questions again. From the start, the old RISING was aimed at being an exciting action game staring Raiden. It's not a spinoff of MGS as it's called. The rebirth of RISING from platnium has the same concept. People who desire a stealth style MGS, please wait for the traditional sequel I will definitely release one day.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By Claude

Sorry

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 22

#3  Edited By jacksukeru

Lightning Bolt Action.

nohthink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By nohthink

One day, huh?

Don't believe you

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Baillie

Nice replies, what the fuck.

I really hope there is a sequel, one day that lives up to the real Metal Gear name.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MikkaQ

I don't really want another MGS sequel, they already did a good enough job ending the series with 4. I don't like the idea of me sitting through those 3 hours of end-game cutscenes only to know it wasn't the true closure to the series.

Kojima needs to move on to a new IP, I'm starting to think less and less of him if he's just going to stick with one thing for the rest of time.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MiniPato

But he promised MGS4 to be his last! KOJIMA WHY YOU MAKE PROMISES THAT BREAK OTHER PROMISES!

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By MariachiMacabre

Which day, Kojima?!

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By shirogane

So now he says he will make another Metal Gear, when he was saying 'this is my last Metal Gear game!' before. MAKE UP YOUR MIND!

ColinWright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By ColinWright

I'm kind of sick of the whole "This is my last, nope, one more" bullshit.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BisonHero

Awww, that's too bad. From everything I've heard, he's interested in making other kinds of games, but as it turns out, everyone around him really, really likes making money.

Best of luck, Kojima. Maybe one day they'll let you have a big project without the words "Metal Gear" somewhere in the title.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

#12  Edited By MightyDuck

Long cut scenes and older gameplay be damned, I'll,admitt the day there is a MGS5 in stores I'll pick it up. Oh Kojima.

Avatar image for xtrememuffinman
    Xtrememuffinman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Xtrememuffinman
    @MikkaQ said:

I don't really want another MGS sequel, they already did a good enough job ending the series with 4. I don't like the idea of me sitting through those 3 hours of end-game cutscenes only to know it wasn't the true closure to the series.

Kojima needs to move on to a new IP, I'm starting to think less and less of him if he's just going to stick with one thing for the rest of time.

Johnny5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Johnny5

I'm trying to think if it's possible there's a way you could twist it or re-translate it to not mean a sequel, but it's pretty clear.

Zabant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By Zabant

Hes going to remake the original 2 on the MSX for next gen. You'll see.

Reznov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Reznov

he just wants more $$. mgs had its day

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By kingzetta
    @Shirogane said:

So now he says he will make another Metal Gear, when he was saying 'this is my last Metal Gear game!' before. MAKE UP YOUR MIND!

He's been saying that since MGS2. then he made 3,4, peace walker, portable ops, acid 1 and 2,
    N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18  Edited By N7

Well, seeing as how KojiPro just got done making an entirely NEW ENGINE just for future Metal Gear games, I can't see why this is even worth stating. Like, okay, we've still got another Peace Walker on the way(Peace Walker did not fill any gap whatsoever. We've got another 40 years to go!) and then there's whatever game they are working on now, which has been demoed off along with the Fox Engine.

Konami isn't going to let Metal Gear go. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just dumb. It's the only game outside of Fifa that makes any money for them.

Also, he's been saying "this is the last Metal Gear game I will make" for the last ten years. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me four times, shame on me.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By Brendan

Well derp, of course Rising wasn`t going to be a stealth game. It`s subtitle was `Lightning Bolt Action`` at E3 last year.

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By I_smell

God, are we not done with Metal Gear? MGS2 and 3 are like my favourite games, but come on.

WiqidBritt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By WiqidBritt

I'm sad there hasn't been a PS3/360 version of the Zone of the Enders franchise.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By xyzygy

I remember when Kojima was saying that Rising was supposed to be stealthy, but that was way before the Platinum takeover. I think it'll be awesome to play in the MG universe and not be stealthy and basically fuck shit up as Raiden.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Dany

@xyzygy said:

I remember when Kojima was saying that Rising was supposed to be stealthy, but that was way before the Platinum takeover. I think it'll be awesome to play in the MG universe and not be stealthy and basically fuck shit up as Raiden.

The Kojima game was cancelled then Platinum came and and revived it. It is kinda unknown at this point how much of revengence is anything like what Kojima was making

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By xyzygy
    @WiqidBritt said:

I'm sad there hasn't been a PS3/360 version of the Zone of the Enders franchise.

I thought there were rumours of an HD collection?
    kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By kingzetta

well he's gotta use that fox engine for something

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Kojima I think has given up his dream of not making Metal Gear for the rest of his life. Konami holds the strings, and Japanese culture means that he's powerless to say no or leave.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By coakroach

When he makes it can it feature no snakes, no ninjas and no nanomachines please?

Oh who the fuck am I kidding...

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#28  Edited By Chop

I really do feel bad for him. He acts like he hasn't been into Metal Gear since MGS came out, but he's stuck making the franchise for life. 

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#29  Edited By Icemael
    @Brodehouse: Uh... what?

He's the vice president of Konami. Chances are he can do pretty much whatever the fuck he likes. And if for some reason he wasn't allowed to stop making Metal Gear despite his position, he could totally leave (just like Inaba, Kamiya, Mikami and Inafune left Capcom, and like Ueda is leaving Sony). Many Kojima Productions employees would no doubt be prepared to resign and join a new studio of his, and the publishers would fight each other over the rights to publish his projects.
    Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Ghostiet
    @MiniPato said:

But he promised MGS4 to be his last! KOJIMA WHY YOU MAKE PROMISES THAT BREAK OTHER PROMISES!

He's simply one of the greatest trolls. A showdown between Andrew Hussie and Hideo Kojima to determine who can troll his fans better would end up in mass suicide all over the world. Throw in some Gabe Newell and yeah, we're all done.
    Kandycane2029

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Kandycane2029

Where could they possibly go with a sequel? MGS4 pretty much concluded the story. I just want another prequel game like Peace Walker that actually answers questions and makes sense in the story line. Nothing happened in Portable Ops, and so far, nothing is happening in Peace Walker (still on my first playthrough).

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@Icemael All those Capcom employees were part of Clover when Capcom closed it. Inafune wanted to quit for years, he kept getting promoted (because hey business) and when he did it was a minor scandal. Same with when Itagaki quit.

We have two scenarios; Kojima wants to be done with, or at least take a break from Metal Gear but can't because management won't let him... or he actually wants to make Metal Gear forever and he's a dirty filthy liar for a decade.

I can actually see either being true, though.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#33  Edited By Icemael
    @Brodehouse said:

@Icemael All those Capcom employees were part of Clover when Capcom closed it.

They actually weren't. Kamiya and Inaba left Capcom months before Clover's dissolution, and Mikami left almost a year before (that is, long before the studio's last games had been released and flopped in every territory).

@Brodehouse said:

Inafune wanted to quit for years, he kept getting promoted (because hey business) and when he did it was a minor scandal.

In other words, he could've left but chose not to because of money and/or status.

@Brodehouse said:

Same with when Itagaki quit.

I don't see how this is relevant. Itagaki quit because Tecmo's president allegedly talked shit about him and his team and refused to pay money he had promised. Itagaki also sued the company when he left. Of course it was a scandal.
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#34  Edited By ProfessorEss

@MikkaQ said:

Kojima needs to move on to a new IP

I agree but at the same time you know Sony has their dump trucks filled with cash sitting in the garage waiting to be dumped on Konami's/Kojima's doorstep when they release the PS4.

It'd be interesting to see where he'd go from here if he moved on from MGS, but I can understand how hard it probably is for him to turn down the offer.

WiqidBritt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By WiqidBritt

@xyzygy said:

@WiqidBritt said:

I thought there were rumours of an HD collection?

there is an HD collection in the works, but I meant a new game, though I would be pretty happy to play 2nd Runner again on 360.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36  Edited By EuanDewar

Doesn't Kojima just have a twitter account that is just his normal account translated by his staff? Could've saved you some time.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#37  Edited By FancySoapsMan

ok.

I'm always down for more metal gear

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Ill still be praying for the day Kojima releases a rpg, imagine the possibilities.

chronicsmoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By chronicsmoke

Id rather Kojima do a remake of Snatcher but Im not gonna complain about more Metal Gear

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    Had just asked the same question today. Exhilarating action game was aiming for a thunderbolt from the outset that the hero is also the former RISING. No so-called spin-off title in MGS. Platinum is also the concept's application by the same RISING. We hope to MGS stealth I want to always wait for the sequel will hit sometime orthodoxy.

Thankyou, Google translate.

Johnny5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Johnny5

@EuanDewar said:

Doesn't Kojima just have a twitter account that is just his normal account translated by his staff? Could've saved you some time.

I was already translating it for myself, and it was a while until they translated it themselves. Also the most important part about a sequel was cut off and was only in twitlonger so its easy to miss. Anyway, here is their translation.

Had same kind of questions @today's conf. Our ex-RISING also were aiming at feel good action w/ protagonist, Raiden as a Spin-off, not MGS & such concept was shared w/ New RISING by P*. For those of you desire for authentic stealth MGS, I want you to patiently wait for the sequel coming in future.

https://twitter.com/#!/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/146482827431657473

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#42  Edited By BoG

I hope by "real sequel" he means a follow-up to Metal Gear Solid 1-3. This would be nice because, as we all know, MGS4 took place in some weird, alternate universe.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.