Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Sep 03, 1998

Metal Gear Solid, released in 1998, is a game developed and published by Konami Corporation. The game follows recent retiree Solid Snake in his return to active duty as he attempts to rescue DARPA Chief Donald Anderson and President of ArmsTech Kenneth Baker, both taken hostage by a terrorist group, in order to prevent the terrorists from launching a nuclear warhead.

Possible real-world connection here?

indieslaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By indieslaw

I was just browsing around wikipedia, and I came across this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_MKNAOMI

MKNAOMI was the code name for a joint Department of Defense/CIA research program lasting from the 1950s through the 1970s. Unclassified information about the MKNAOMI program and the related Special Operations Division is scarce. It is generally reported to be a successor to the MKDELTA project and to have focused on biological projects including biological warfare agents—specifically, to store materials that could either incapacitate or kill a test subject and to develop devices for the diffusion of such materials

So, MK is a designation for the department where this project was run. That leaves, for this biological weapons research, NAOMI.

Given Naomi's role in the MG fiction (medical support, creator of FOXDIE) do you think this is a coincidence, or an intentional connection? I just came across this, thought it was interesting.

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By killacam

not to mention if you rearrange the letters in MKNAOMI, you get KONAMI!... minus one m. goddamnit CIA.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By MooseyMcMan

The Metal Gear games are filled with all sorts of weird things like this, so yes, it's probably completely intentional.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4  Edited By wrighteous86

@videorob: You do know that practically everything in Metal Gear is tied in with historical fact, right?

For example, the GW virus by the Patriots is named after George Washington, one of America's FIRST patriots!

But seriously, it probably could be intentional. Who knows.

indieslaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By indieslaw

@killacam: DUDE!!!

@Wrighteous86: Yeah, sure, its part of why I love that series. I just thought it was interesting to stumble across this one. I don't think I've ever heard it discussed before.

Relatedly, the CIA in the 50s and 60s was messed up man. I came across this stuff because I saw the word MKULTRA and thought it was a Mortal Kombat thing, lol. (it isn't)

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

If you go to the CIA main computer and input the Konami code it turns into a transformer and attacks Canada. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.