Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Survive

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Feb 20, 2018

A survival-focused spin-off of the Metal Gear series, as one of Big Boss's loyal soldiers must traverse a hostile alternate dimension filled with zombie-like creatures.

Metal Gear survive beta

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By pyrodactyl

Well this is unexpected. The game looks alright and I get to try it out tomorrow? I'm genuinely surprised. Any of you planning on trying it out? I'm looking forward to playing coop with my fellow Destiny 2 refugees.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You are the only human being I've seen looking forward to this thing

McHampton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After the Unfinished I'm kinda interested. Single player survival games are for me.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By pyrodactyl

@frostyryan: I a 100% wasn't but then I saw the unfinished and, like Brad, felt myself weirdly drawn to this game. I always loved the idea of survival games. I loved minecraft and don't starve. I got away from the genre because I don't have a good PC and survival games are all PC games and the genre got flooded with early access janky trash. This looks polished enough and it's built on one of the best gameplay foundations of all time. It could be good if they didn't design it like some F2P mobile game. Hopefully they didn't.

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
    shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By shivermetimbers

Looks better than the Phantom Pain!

FYI, I really dislike MGSV. This at least looks /kinda/ engaging in a goofy way.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Id like to say we should protest this game in its entirety in the honor of Kojima. However I know that the second they decide to re-release or update the past Metal Gear games I will buy them in a second.

TheChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By TheChris

The problem for me is that this game isn’t a stealth game, so while it retains some mechanics from the Phantom Pain, it is most likely not gonna be the detailed stealth aspect. The best part about Metal Gear Online was tricking dudes with cardboard boxes, and surprise them with CQC attacks or traps. This just feels like another zombie game wearing Metal Gear as a mask.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Game actually looks interesting, i wish the beta was on pc but hopefully you dont need psplus for it like all these other betas have done lately. Not sure about this as a full price release but i am willing to check out the beta. Only real issue is them calling this metal gear when no metal gear has even been hinted at.

Qrowdyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Qrowdyy

I'm worried that the beta will spoil the progression/unlocks. This game seems all about progression. Crafting bullets, getting gun blueprints, slowly moving up the tech tree. After spending time with end game stuff, I probably won't have the patience to rock a spear and sword at the beginning of the game.

@xanadu:I dunno man, Kojima kinda landed on his feet and is off doing Kojima-like things.

DanishingAct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oursin_360: I'm pretty sure it's only $40. I'm still skeptical, but I'm willing to check bit out.

NeoCalypso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

So am I crazy or is the beta really XB1 only?

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By OurSin_360

@neocalypso: no ps4 beta yet, monster hunter and dbz fighter betas are up though. I hopped on to check this out then found those two, i have no clue if they are doing a ps4 beta for this game or if its timed exclusive or something?

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb67033e3422
    deactivated-5bb67033e3422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PS4 Beta is up in the UK but no inverted controls? so I can't play it.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

MGSV played great, so I'm curious. To let that engine and gameplay sit on the shelf would be a crime, frankly.

We'll see...

Ascara89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've played two missions so far, really not all that sure what I'm doing, been carried by the others I'm playing with. Though I suspect it's my own fault for not reading all those tutorials, but there were rather a lot of them.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By BoOzak

@justkamtoo: You can invert the controls just go to "settings" and "controls" by pushing the bottom left side of the touch pad.

I was interested when I saw that story trailer not too long ago but I really dont like survival games and the wave based mode in the beta kind of sucks.

I'll probably end up playing this at some point anyway though because it's Metal Gear.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb67033e3422
    deactivated-5bb67033e3422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boozak: Thank you odd it was't on the initial screens when I first started playing. Now fixed.

AcidBrandon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've enjoyed the beta so far. So much so that I pre ordered it. This game is fun.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Played a match, solo i guess maybe because i dont have plus i am not sure. I literally had no clue what i was even doing, i know from the unfinished i could make gates and stuff but had no clue how too lol. Might try it again tomorrow and see if their is a tutorial i am missing.

burncoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is genuinely a good game. It has the goofiness I loved from the first MGS3 Online. It doesn't feel as tight as MGSV gameplay wise, but after unlocking the "dodge while holding a weapon" skill it feels so good to play.

But, I don't see myself playing this anytime soon, especially with Monster Hunter World coming out. $40 is a good price for it, though, and that's just based on the small multiplayer experience.

Ulong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How do I equip weapons form my armory? After clearing the first mission I was rewarded with some new guns (actual new guns, not blueprints). I see them in my armory when I check the supply box, but when I go to the menu that lets me equip guns the only guns showing up are a pistol and a shotgun.

I want to equip this bow and arrow.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By Wemibelle

@ulong: You maybe have to get your rewards from the box in the middle. I think it's the bottom option? It also locks certain weapons to certain slots and the menus aren't very clear about the tabs you can go through with the shoulder buttons.

Ulong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ulong: You maybe have to get your rewards from the box in the middle. I think it's the bottom option? It also locks certain weapons to certain slots and the menus aren't very clear about the tabs you can go through with the shoulder buttons.

I got them out of that box too. Maybe I was doing a bad job switching tabs? Say I have 4 guns: A pistol, shotgun, rifle, and Bow. They would all go in the same type of weapon slot right? But when I go to equip there only the pistol and shotgun show up. Can I then switch tabs in that menu? I thought I was pressing the shoulder buttons but I'll go check again.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

@ulong: There are different weapons for each primary slot and each secondary slot, for whatever reason. And there are additional weapon type menus you can tab through with shoulder buttons after you select a slot and want to change the weapon, yes.

Ulong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aha! Both the bow and assault rifle replace my spear or machete. I was thinking of it as a melee weapon slot and a ranged weapon slot, but it was primary/secondary of course, and the pistol and shotgun are both considered backup secondary weapons.

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I need to figure out what the hell is going on first before I can fully judge it, but so far:

• It's definitely one of the worst UI/menu systems I've seen this gen.
    • I was surprised how it looked since MGSV was great looking and this looks pretty bland and average at best. That might change since this is a beta, but I doubt it.
    • The "zombies" look really stupid.
    • The melee system is bad and needs a roll to dodge attacks (unless it has one and I'm missing it).
    TravisRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Metal Nier Solid, looks fun.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By pyrodactyl

This beta was surprisingly fun. Once you get your head around all the menus and crafting systems it becomes apparent there's a lot to this game and there's room to build a pretty great progression here. Randomized loot of varying quality and random rolls for your weapons and armor. A skill tree that adds powerful attacks to your repertoire. Totally decent and satisfying melee combat. Different defenses like stationary machine guns,sturdier walls, mortars and floor traps drop randomly so you can assign roles depending on the blueprints you have. Maybe you'll be the guy who gathers materials and completes bonus objectives or the guy who sets up walls and floor traps, watchtowers and machine gun turrets. A group a friends to play with makes this multiplayer a whole better as you can coordinate that kind of stuff, communicate and helps each other. We managed to extract 3-5 hours of fun out of the 2 missions in the beta so here's hoping the final game is just that but more and better. It's great having a game to look forward to for the next 6 months aside from Monster Hunter and I'm really surprised Metal Gear Survive is that game.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By pyrodactyl

I know we're suppose to be mad at Konami or whatever but this looks alright:

Loading Video...

Even if they're reusing a lot of MGSV assets I think I'm fine with that. It's not like I used more than 10% of the weapons and gadgets in that game. Forcing you to use certain equipment because that's what you get as drops sounds like a great way to make use of all these guns and tools that crowded the tech tree in MGSV. Same for the reused buildings. I don't care if they rearrange the same buildings from MGSV on new maps if it means they can make more maps and more game environments. That's a lesson Bungie never learned while making their own loot shooter game. If you spend a lot of resources on hand crafting every corner of every map then you can't make enough content and people burn through it all very fast.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.