Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear

Franchise »

Tactical, Espionage, Action. A revered and long-running series directed by Hideo Kojima.

How do you rank the Metal Gear games?

• 60 results
    thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

You told me not to but fuck it, Metal Gear Ac!d is the best metal gear game, i really wish it was on psn so i can get it for Vita.

But for the Solid series it goes as such

1. Metal Gear Solid
    2. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
    3. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
    4. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
    5. Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes

Havent played that far into Peace Walker so i wont rank it, and Portible Ops is the ugly step child that is kind of not cannon anymore so i wont rank that either (even though i really liked it at the time, it did start the base building)

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
    deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

the ones I have played

1) MGS
    2) MGS 3
    3) MGS 4 (haven't completed it though)
    4) MGS 2 (Dooooooooooooooooooog shit)

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TechnoSyndrome: wait, are you really in all honesty rating the first metal gear game higher than MGS4? really?

I also see a lot of people here rating MGS2 higher than MGS4, I'm sorry, everyone is entitled to their opinions of course, but that's just downright silly...

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#54  Edited By TechnoSyndrome

@onarum: Yes I am. I have fun playing Metal Gear. I don't have fun playing Metal Gear Solid 4. I also prefer no story to a bad one.

Cyrus_Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll try. I wouldn't count this as best to worst though. I love all of the games and it's hard to even rank them. With that said, let's see if I can do it...

Metal Gear Solid 2: I was one of the few that actually liked Raiden in this while everyone else was hating on him. Of course, this all changed after he turned into a cyborg. With that said, there is just something about the story and gameplay that I just enjoyed. Even moreso now that I am older and have finally made some sense out of everything.

Metal Gear Solid 3: Gameplay was much improved over 2 and the story was less convoluted and much more emotional when it came to certain things (The Boss being the major one).

Metal Gear Solid: First Metal Gear game I played. This game is what made me a fan. With that said, it is a bit dated now. Granted, I haven't played the original in a while and have only played The Twin Snakes recently (and I have my problems with it; the cutscenes being a big one). However, from what I have watched, it just looks like it would be hard to go back to.

Metal Gear Solid 4: More cutscenes than game. That said, I still like the game although it is the one Metal Gear game that I haven't gone back and played multiple times compared to the others. I did love the change in controls though.

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker: Got around to finally playing it because of the HD collection. Again, liked it, but didn't care much for the story and the boss fights. I understand it was originally on PSP but I thought they could have had some more memorable boss fights. Also, like 4, the controls are great. I also loved the base building aspects.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance: Great action game. Can't say much more since I do not remember too much about it (aside from the final boss being both awesome and a pain in the ass to fight). Plan on replaying this sometime soon.

I have not played Ground Zeroes (was going to play it whenever I get a PS4 or One) or the original Metal Gear games (not for lack of trying) so I will not say anything about them.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TechnoSyndrome: yeah well... I totally respect that point of view, but still I find it hard to compare them.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

#57  Edited By GERALTITUDE

MGS > MGS3 > MGS4 > MGS2

Still playing Peace Walker. Ground Zeroes is amazing but doesn't make sense to place a half game among these.

VR Missions deserves special recognition.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

1. MGS3
    2. MGS4
    3. MGS2

I haven't played the first game or any of the PSP games though.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

Y'all are crazy.

METAL GEAR SOLID 4 IS THE FUCKING VIDEO GAME TO END ALL VIDEO GAMES.

That last fight, holy shit.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

@adam1808: I think even the biggest detractors will admit the final boss fight in MGS4 is amazing, I just have a problem with 90% of the game leading up to it, and literally everything that follows. For me the enjoyable parts of MGS4 are restricted to parts of Act 1, parts of Act 2, and the boss fights that cap Acts 4 and 5.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.