Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metro: Last Light

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released May 14, 2013

The sequel to the underground hit Metro 2033. Set in Moscow in the year 2034, the player will be caught between warring factions vying for a doomsday device.

Russian or English?

Basm321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

As I type this I'm walking to the store to pick up my copy of metro last light, so I am running out of time to make this decision. I want to play this game in Russian because I think it would feel more authentic and help to immerse me in a world that I am unfamiliar with. The thing is, I also don't want to be trying to read subtitles when I shod be paying attention to gameplay, either searching for stuff or dealing with threats. I also do not have time to learn Russian.

Are those of you who do not speak Russian going to play the game in your native language or the game's? What should I choose? Why?

M_Shini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By M_Shini

I played the original game in English to avoid basically what you are saying and still found myself immersed, the english voices had good russian accents to them generally so i found no problem getting into the mood and atmosphere. On the other hand i never did play the game in Russian so hay maybe its better, but still reading subs sucks to me when i want to look at what is happening and thats a fine trade off for me.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

If you do not want to have sub titles just use English.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b43dadb9061b
    deactivated-5b43dadb9061b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll do as I did in 2033, English first then Russian with subtitles then again just Russian no subtitles. Muh immersion.

kedi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By kedi2

I played the first game in Russian for about an hour then switched to English because I wasn't getting any enjoyment out of not knowing what was going on.

djou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I played 2033 on Ranger Hardcore using the Russian language track, totally worth it. The Metro games are crazy linear with some cringe worthy dialogue with poor English language delivery. The dramatic moments were completely deflated by the wooden delivery. I can't imagine playing in English, you can pretty much figure out what to do using common sense. There were a few times I got lost but I just switched the language track to figure out what it going on. I didn't have a problem with focusing on subtitles more than gameplay, although I played slow and stealthy so there wasn't much running and gunning to miss the dialogue.

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Giant text at the bottom of your screen is not exactly what I'd call immersive.

wrecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Playing it in Russian is not authentic, it is silly. You are playing a russian character. He would understand the languange.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Remember, no Russian... derp.

But no seriously quite the opposite. When given the chance, always go with Russian. The authenticity it enhances to the game should be worth the added bit of required attention to the screen I'd say.

1337gmr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By 1337gmr

@kedi2: I agree. I have been playing BLOPS 2 and I understand the spanish that is not subtitled and there is a lot missing without accurate subs.

AlmostSwedish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By AlmostSwedish

@wrecks said:

Playing it in Russian is not authentic, it is silly. You are playing a russian character. He would understand the languange.

I'm with this guy.

Basm321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wrecks: @killacam: You two have convinced me.

Thank everyone for the prompt responses.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14  Edited By Seppli

Russian with subtitles for me. Definitely better than fake Russian accents throughout. Didn't quite like the first game though, so I might never get around to it.

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SlashDance

@wrecks said:

I'm with this guy.

Having to look at subtitles during gameplay was already enough to make me want to play in english, but yeah, that's a pretty good point.

Egg0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably going to play it in Russian this time around. Played Metro 2033 in English. Kept thinking, "Why are these Russians speaking English in a Russian accent?"

IcedWhale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think I would have figured out the secret ending in the last one if I had been in Russian. If this game has a similar way of hiding story details in Ambient dialog I think you would be doing yourself a diservice.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Personally, I find visual immersion better than aural immersion - that is to say, I don't like having subtitles on.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Russian with Subs.
    Mostly because the voice actors are terrible.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I say go with Russian and subs. I just feel like everything would sound more badass in Russian.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By bacongames

I have to echo what others have said and say that the English was fine and for certain characters rather enjoyable. The simple fact that you hear all the ambient dialogue and the character would ostensibly in that world, I found it made sense to play in English. Rather, I never found it too much of a problem and so never switched.

kaos_cracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By kaos_cracker

I can't play a game where I have to constantly read subtitles to understand what is happening. I don't know how playing with subtitles makes a game better as I tend to just read it and ignore everything else so I just never use them. Playing a game in a different language seems hard to me.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By Ghostiet

I remember the brilliant way Polish publishers handled the same problem with the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series - they put in Polish subs and left the Russian voices alone, but overdubbed a voice-over done by a TV lector. I thought it was great, since you always had these Russian voices in the background and it gave the game an almost paradocumental atmosphere.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

No Russian.

zenmastah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Russian all the way.

Alekss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Alekss

I played it in french...

Jaktajj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I really, really, REALLY wanted to play this with Russian voices on - but my below-average eyesight makes reading the subtitles while playing difficult. I read very slowly. Eventually had to switch back to English after the first 30 minutes.

Nardak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By Nardak

Had subtitles in english and the dialogue in Russian. I think it adds to the atmosphere of the game.

Dont really need to understand all of the dialogue that is spoken.

TheUnsavedHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#30  Edited By TheUnsavedHero

The first time through, I'll play it in English. The second time on Ranger Mode, I'll do Russian with the subtitles.

NickM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I played 2033 Russian, but had to switch to english because the delivery was simply horrible.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I tried playing it in Russian but always reading the subtitels was extremely immersion breaking for me. I'll probably play it a second time though.

aperfecttool72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By aperfecttool72

Rented it and played it in Russian with English subs. It was ok. For me, some of the subtitles just scrolled way to fast and I missed some of the translated lines. If I rent it again, I'll probably switch it back to English voice acting just so I can catch everything.

Nardak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#34  Edited By Nardak

Its probably a matter of being used to watching movies and tv series with subtitles. In Finland we have finnish subtitles for all movies and tv series.

So I am pretty used to reading subtitles.

Wiseblood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Wiseblood

With the English voices you can play a fun drinking game where you drink every time you hear Steve Blum.

ThomasG666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played the first Metro 2033 in Russian. It was very immersive but some npc's dialog didn't have subs, so I think I missed out a bit.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm playing it in Russian w/ English subs. Not sure I'd do it again, because I'm missing out on some NPC dialogue and trying to read while running away from spiders is distracting. If anything, it can take away from immersion, because Artyom would be able to understand Russian whereas I cannot.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#38  Edited By colourful_hippie

@zeforgotten said:

Russian with Subs.

Mostly because the voice actors are terrible.

This is the main reason why I switched, the accents are not as god awful as the first game but they still suck.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ripelivejam

probably would've gone with Russian with English subtitles if only all the neat ambient dialogue was subtitled too. maybe if i replay it. also the acting isn't as terrible as people make it out to be. sometimes i think the kneejerk reaction is dubs=shit, regardless of the actual quality.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.