Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metroid: Samus Returns

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Sep 15, 2017

A re-imagining of the 1991 Game Boy game Metroid II: Return of Samus, telling the story of Samus's journey through planet SR388 to exterminate the parasitic Metroid species.

Metroid: Samus Returns is pretty great

pkmnfrk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm a little surprised that there's so little discussion on this game, considering how good it is. I'm just about at the end of the game, doing some item pickup cleanup, but I've had a lot of fun thus far.

The combat is tough, but rewards skill in a way that feels unusual for a Metroid game. Certainly, the combat is not what I come to a Metroid game for, but this game manages to make it dynamic in a way that feels good.

One thing I wasn't prepared for, but makes sense in retrospect, was how long the game is. This world is huge, bigger than any previous 2D Metroid. Which makes sense, considering that it's basically a 46+ member boss ensemble. I'll be really curious to see what speed runs of this game look like.

Now, to the elephant in the room: How does it stack up against AM2R? Well, that's tough to say. I'd say that it stands on it's own. Each game emphasizes different aspects of the source material. AM2R sticks to very traditional gameplay and world design, while Samus Returns makes a lot of interesting decisions that mix things up. For example, AM2R gives you the Speed Booster, while Samus Returns gives you a power to slow down time. Both are valid approaches, but Samus Returns is definitely trying to advance the formula, while AM2R is trying to refine it.

If I had to criticize one thing about Samus Returns, it's that it seems to lean too heavily on other entries in the series for nostalgia's sake. For example, there are super-heated rooms you need the Varia Suit for, and they all play the Lower Norfair/Magmoor Caverns music in them, no matter where they are. Or, late in the game, the Red Brinstar music is used from some areas for no real reason. And, probably the most egregious example is the last boss, which I'm going to dedicate a whole paragraph to discussing:

Ridley (Meta Ridley, actually) shows up as the last boss, ambushing you just as you get back to your ship with the Baby Metroid. He then proceeds to try and kidnap the baby. You, of course, beat him up and stop that, but the fact that he's there is incredibly questionable to begin with. Narratively speaking, his presence there kinda throws a wrench in the existing story: the ambush by Ridley at the beginning of Super Metroid is supposed to be a surprise, but now, if you think about it, Samus leaves SR388 just having fought Ridley, and goes directly to the space colony, where she is ambushed by Ridley again.

I know, who cares about the Metroid timeline? I'm fine if it's just me. But, it really feels as if he was thrown in just to say "yeah, we have to include Ridley".

But, over all, this is a small blemish. I highly recommend this game if you are a fan of the Metroid series!

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

when I heard the magmoor caverns remix, I kinda cried

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.