Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Miasmata

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Nov 28, 2012

Miasmata is a survival adventure game with a focus on herbalism and cartography that was developed by two brothers, Joe and Bob Johnson, in their own game engine.

Impressions

talkingtoast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By talkingtoast

Just picked this game up... impressions incoming... what do you guys think ?

cannedstingray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By cannedstingray

Currently installing, curious tho, looks interesting

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Sin4profit

Left my impressions on the other thread but i'll copy and paste them here:

So far the game is very intriguing but it starts out real slow. If they do do a quick look i think they'd be better off playing it for a few hours and starting from a point deeper in the map. The method in which you reveal your map is pretty neat as you triangulate your location via man made landmarks (buildings and statues)

I was running pretty cold on the game at first and it has a fair share of bad design (why can't i make more then one medication at a time?) but the longer i stayed with it the more interesting it became.

Also, it seems my boy Mesh of Mack & Mesh Productions was the first on the trigger with the Youtube play through...will be vary exciting when he learns about the creature that will be stalking him. Anyway, happy to pimp his content as i've been a fan for awhile.

Vitius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Vitius

I think the concept is really cool and the way your character controls is hands down the best first person exploration experience ever. They way you have to take hills and slopes into account while moving really helps immerse you in the experience. I'm wondering how this would feel with the oculus rift but I doubt that'll happen since these guys built the engine themselves so unless they really want to code rift support from scratch there's no way for them to do it.

I'm pretty far into my first playthrough at the moment and my biggest complaint (aside from being able to triangulate your position using 2 landmarks right next to each other) is actually about the late game. I'm not sure if I'm alone in this but the beast seems to appear way too often at this point. I'll be walking for less than 5-10 minutes in between sightings and even when hiding successfully have had the creature persist in searching for me for 10-15 minutes. Other times it gets stuck in an infinite loop where it runs around in circles forever and I have to try and sneak far enough away for it to despawn only to show up again 2 minutes later.

Other than that I'm really enjoying the unique experience and will probably try beating it as fast as I can for a second playthrough.

Aureoloss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Aureoloss

I find it to be a very interesting premise, and quite immersive as a game. I have several huge gripes with the game design. There are a lot of design decisions that hinder my enjoyment greatly. You can carry medicine, a water bottle, flasks, and potions in your book, but you carry all plants in your left hand. You can only carry 4 plants at a time. Why can I synthesize plants into medicine, pills and shots, but I can't fashion a backpack out of something? And you won't let me place pants in the book, but the book can have all that stuff in it. Maybe this happens later on, but I doubt it. The majority of my gripes come with the fact that they've created their own engine. I applaud their hard work, but at the same time I have to say that if you set out to create your own engine, you should be quite aware that people have grown accustomed to a certain quality of animations, graphics, and user experience. There are several free options that would perform better than what they have.

The animations of your hands and arms are just very below par for a game released in 2012, even if it's done by 2 people. Look down to see your hands and arms. Left hand, no watch. Press right click, your wrist magically has a watch on it. Swinging your weapon is always the same animation, and you can't aim it. You can aim it horizontally, but it always occurs at the same height. You can't aim your swings low, you can't kill wildlife, you don't even need to EAT. In a game where I'm fighting for my survival, I would expect to at least eat. You persist off medicine and water. You find fruit all over the place, but it's used as a weapon. You find sticks on the ground and they immediately catch fire and turn into a torch. The game is conflicting on its own design by giving you realism and survival gameplay on one platter, and the opposite on another platter.

User experience is below par, but take that with a grain of salt. As an indie game developed by a team of 2, there's quite a lot that has to be done. There are issues here, but they might not stick out to everyone.

This is the type of game that you should play if you find yourself a fan of games like Amnesia, but definitely keep in mind the fact that it is made by a team of 2. Don't expect the same level of polish, but enjoy it for the great effort they've made with what they have.

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By AssInAss

3 hours into the game, met the monster in weirdly around morning when trying to go for the Big Plant place south of Outpost Rigel and east of the Creek.

No Caption Provided

Is it possible to hurt the monster? Tried torch and knife, doesn't do much.

Love the realistic momentum, go slow up slopes, sliding down slopes and if you go too fast you drop your stuff.

Is it possible to store a knife somewhere? I find the torches more useful.

Experimenting around with what plants are useful for what. Found pages on what each medicine or stimulant does.

Lots of humans killed with knives...

Glic2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Glic2000

Yep, that's pretty much exactly how I felt. The game desperately needs a proper inventory system. Placing a plant in one of the "storage trays" makes it magically available in every other cabin that has a storage tray, but I can't just put the plants in a bag and carry them around with me? Talk about selective realism!

It also has the worst performance I've ever seen in a modern game, running at about an average of 15 fps or less. Admittedly I don't have the fastest computer, but Miasmata still runs slower than any other game I've played (and doesn't look particularly better than other games either). And what's with the interface? Haven't the devs ever noticed the mouse scroll wheel is almost always used for zooming in and out?

The creature's AI is also quite buggy. There were times when I was staring straight at it out in the open, and it didn't attack or do anything.

Exploring the island is fun, however. The mapping system is novel, and the game is very immersive. But this game definitely has some issues.

I find it to be a very interesting premise, and quite immersive as a game. I have several huge gripes with the game design. There are a lot of design decisions that hinder my enjoyment greatly. You can carry medicine, a water bottle, flasks, and potions in your book, but you carry all plants in your left hand. You can only carry 4 plants at a time. Why can I synthesize plants into medicine, pills and shots, but I can't fashion a backpack out of something? And you won't let me place pants in the book, but the book can have all that stuff in it. ...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.