Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Sep 30, 2014

An open-world action-adventure game by Monolith, set between the events of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings.

One big-ass patch (or not?)

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Earlier today, my PS4 popped up a message telling me it was downloading a patch for Shadow of Mordor. When I checked, the patch was over 8gb!!!

So I'm just wondering if anybody can confirm if it's a legit huge update, or if my console just decided to redownload all the previous patches at the same time. I replayed the game like a month ago, so I had all of them up until that time already.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#2  Edited By GERALTITUDE

Word on the street is that those are the files of the next DLC, "The Bright Lord".

That's the one where you flashback play as Celebrimbor and fight Suaron in the flesh.

Probably some fixes, etc too.

alanm26v5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I know it's a minor thing, but kind of annoying for a game to push out a DLC content patch you may not be planning on purchasing, between the limited sizes of console storage or computer SSDs and some people having to deal with bandwidth caps or slow speeds, especially for a game with no multiplayer that wouldn't require any kind of compatability patch.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@alanm26v5: Word. Pushing huge patches full of data people might not have paid for yet is obnoxious.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Didn't they do the same for Lord o' The Hunt? I noticed that when I bought it, it was a 55kb (or whatever) key, so it must have come in one of the patches.

But yeah, not the best way to go about it, although it's nice to have it "preloaded".

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is The Bright Lord. About time too. Last season pass I ever get.

jimipeppr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Yeah, looks like a lot of people complaining on Steam about a 5.2 GB patch. I don't mind since I got the season pass, but it does seem weird that they would force that download to people who aren't getting the dlc.

PrivodOtmenit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Clearly you people have never had Payday 2 or Dota 2 installed on your machines.

Payday 2 lets you play DLC without buying it by joining others.

BF4 is the worst example of this, if you only have the base game you still have to install 20GB of expansions.

bcooper21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By bcooper21

Dam that patch on ps4. I thought pc was bad with 5.2 g update today at least it fixes bugs also and adds features on pc not sure about console.

New Features:

• Bright Lord DLC support added. (Note: Bright Lord DLC requires slightly higher system specs than Main Game Campaign. If you’re noticing a loss in performance, please lower system settings.)

Continued PC Improvements:

Stability:

• Fixed rare crash encountered when going into Skills Menu.
    • Fixed a crash that could occur if blood failed to render.
    • Fixed issue where game would crash after a video card driver crash.
    • Fixed crash related to physics.

Performance:

• Improved rendering on domination FX to improve framerate.

Save/Load:

• Fixed issue where users save progress could be lost after watching benchmark to completion.

UI:

• Added ability to skip Splash Screens after first launch.

General:

• Steam Achievements not being awarded properly. (Issue 1: Occasionally Achievement wasn’t awarded even though game criteria satisfied. Game now verifies again whether Achievement criteria has already been met and will re-pop. In some cases, it may be required to perform unlock a 2nd time. Issue 2: Some Achievements weren’t being awarded in Challenge Mode even though they should have. This issue should now be resolved.)
    • Fixed issue where player would lose Orc Hunter Rune when restarting Lord of the Hunt DLC.
    GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Didn't you guys get the memo? All digital future.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

UI:

• Added ability to skip Splash Screens after first launch.

That's why the patch is so big, best fix of all.

Memu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

This practice really needs to stop. Game publishers should respect our network and disk space. Clearly they only care about what is easiest for them.

Blizzard did this to me as well with Diablo 3, installing a huge patch containing Reaper of Souls before I purchased it.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

@privodotmenit said:

@dudeglove said:

Clearly you people have never had Payday 2 or Dota 2 installed on your machines.

Payday 2 lets you play DLC without buying it by joining others.

I mean in the sense that that thing updates all the time and those patches are enormous. I can't fault them for keeping their game bug free and whatnot, but over the winter holidays I think I downloaded about a gig a week in patches for payday 2 alone.

Yup. PD2's problem is that the amount of decompressing done coupled with Steam's bullshit throttling of downloads leads to a 1GB patch being a potentially 2 hour-long ordeal.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.