Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Miitomo

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Mar 17, 2016

Nintendo's first official foray into mobile development is a Mii-based offering called Miitomo. Different Miis communicate with each other, conveying facts about the players to other users.

Nintendo tries to breathe life into Miitomo with a "big update"

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

#1  Edited By audioBusting

Nintendo has just released a sizeable update for Miitomo, the social networking app that seemed to have kinda slumped even weeks after its release. Though maybe it just kinda looked like it, because all my friends are people from the GB thread and other strangers? Who knows! You can get three free outfits just by logging in: Mario, Luigi, and postal worker outfits.

After 7 months of waiting, they're finally letting you change the wallpaper and flooring of your room! They're rolling them out kinda like they did clothes. There are some Metroid and Mario-themed stuff you can get They're also letting you put up posters... wait, I meant "poster", because to put more than one posters, you gotta pay. Not in coins, candies, or whatever in-game currency. You gotta pay with cash! (I'm assuming that it's US$0.99, since it's $1.49 in Australia)

They're also making some changes to how the answers feed works. The old one is renamed into "Chatter", and the new Timeline is just the answers that your friends have written. They're not hidden by default anymore (they've done away with exchanging candies for answers since a while ago), so you can just read a straight chronological feed of answers from your friends. That means you can just do away with the text-to-speech business and read your friends' answers, if you want to. The feed also now give you a preview of the answerer's room, which you can tap to go straight into their room.

A couple new features they've put in is the Style Central and Answer Central. They are reminiscent of the old Wii Check Mii Out channels and such. In the Style Central, you can share your outfits and check out other people's Mii's. The Answer Central holds a questions, which everyone can answer publicly. They're alright, I guess? Just like on the old Wii channels, you'll probably just see a bunch of cosplays, and hear how uninteresting random Nintendo users' lives and opinions actually are. I hope they'll eventually have the balls to ask the real, hard-hitting questions, like whether or not hot dogs are sandwiches, or if eggs belong on pizzas.

Anyway, I don't know, this came in kinda at the exact moment when every single person on my friends list finally stopped using it altogether (except for the one guy who just answers 90% of the daily questions with "I don't know". You know who you are hahah.) I'll probably stick around for another couple of weeks, just to see how this all turns out. Does any of this even sound interesting to anyone but me?

I took a few screenshots to show how it looks like now. Apologies to JJOR64 for disclosing his favourite TV show to not watch!

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

The fact Nintendo haven't just quietly stopped using Miis in any form already is a mystery to me. Nevertheless, I like how Nintendo seems to support their games for a long time even if the dedicated player-base is small. Miitomo never grabbed me (I logged in once at E3 to see what it was with the Zelda clothes, then never went back), but hearing the 8-4 Play podcast talk about it near release showed me why some people enjoyed it. Continued support of a game, no matter its quality, is never a bad thing.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

I used it solely as a way to flirt with my now-girlfriend before we were dating, and we both quietly deleted it once things got serious.

So I guess I'm not really interested anymore? But in some small, emotional way, I appreciate this.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

@the_nubster: Nice. It's certainly been kinda fun for me to sort-of-but-not-really get to know some GB users through the app, despite feeling somewhat disappointed by it.

DrFlapjack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

The text-to-speech was the best part! Most of my friends gave standard answers, but I role-played which made it way more fun. I got bored of it quickly, though, after everyone left and there was nobody to play with.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.