Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Minecraft

Game » consists of 33 releases. Released May 17, 2009

A 3D procedurally-generated game of world exploration, resource harvesting, and freeform construction, featuring a unique block-based art style and online multiplayer. It received numerous ports and updates for nearly a decade after its initial release.

Achievement weirdness

Avatar image for ralphmoustaccio
    RalphMoustaccio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By RalphMoustaccio

I have really been enjoying the Let's Minecraft Together series and like several others I've seen in the chat, it's led to me getting into the game for the first meaningful time. I decided to get the bedrock edition for both PC and Switch so my daughter and I could play together without dealing with the pretty limiting split-screen options on Switch. I'm playing on PC logged in with my primary xbox live account, and when I looked at the achievements, the percentages of others who have unlocked achievements seems impossibly low. Here's a screenshot from the xbox app:

No Caption Provided

The ones shown here are far and away the highest unlock percentages of the available achievements. How is it possible that only ~30% of the players on the Windows bedrock edition ever opened their inventory, or that less than 25% ever made a pickaxe? What have these people been doing? Is this some kind of error? The only thing I can think is that maybe the bedrock edition is including player numbers of people who owned it on the Windows store before achievements were added, but haven't actually played since, in the calculation. It's wild.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

Minecraft has millions of concurrent users every day. Many of those people have versions of the game that are free and many others have more than one account. This popularity means that there are a myriad of accounts that either log-in briefly to see what the fuss is about, or are made to perform a function that has nothing to do with actually playing the game.

RalphMoustaccio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zombiepie: That's a fair point about active engagement versus passive engagement. It definitely seems like the individual versions' player bases are tracked separately, though, even if they have cross-play. Here's the inventory opening achievement for the sub account I'm using for the Switch version my daughter is playing on. This still seems like a low percentage for such a menial activity to unlock an achievement, but at least understandable in line with your statement of the players actively engaging with it rather than more passively. The other one just seems way out of whack.

No Caption Provided
    Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I could be wrong about this, but everyone who had the OG Java version was given a Bedrock edition for free when MS bought the company. It's very possible that lots of people with the OG version just never continued playing Minecraft at all or just stuck with the Java version but still get counted as part of the player base.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

For a limited time, people with the Java version could get the Bedrock version for free. A lot of those people probably redeemed their free Bedrock version and then never played it, or only fired it up to make sure it worked and then closed it again, meaning that a large chunk of the people who own the game have never even started a world.

It's also entirely possible that a lot of people bought Minecraft on sale or something and never actually played it. It's one of the world's most popular games right now so the idea that tons of people thought "huh, I might try that one day" and then never actually tried it isn't so far fetched. I know my Steam library is loaded with games I started once and then thought "cool, it works" and never started again.

RalphMoustaccio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ah, the free bedrock edition offered to Java users probably explains it. I was unaware of that since I never messed with the Java version. The only other version of it I played (and briefly at that) was the 360 release when it came out.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.