Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Nov 10, 2009

The sequel to 2007’s wildly successful first-person-shooter Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 continues the story of American and British soldiers fighting Russian ultra-nationalist forces.

Matchmaking of hell

myslead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By myslead

Hello, 
    So I have to get this off my chest, I've been playing Modern Warfare since the release and played alot of COD4, I'm in no shape or form new to this type of game, but while I really enjoyed COD4, I found myself more frustrated than not playing Modern Warfare 2. I'm not a bad player, my K/D is around 2.30.

What really is my issue with the game is the fact that whenever I play by myself or with one friend, I always seems to be stuck in the losing team, and by losing I do not mean, losing by 1 or 2 kills in TDM or by 5 points in Domination (playing on Ground Wars), I mean, no players is above 10 kills in my team in TDM except me who is generally having even more points than the top player on the opposite team and no one has more than 1000 points in Domination...

So what gives? I can see the logic behind putting me with the bad players to balance the teams, but 10 goddamn average players will no doubt have the upper hand against one good player. I just don't see how Infinity Ward worked this out because it really doesn't make any sense.

Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Coombs

It's just because MW2 is the "IT" game right now and all the people who don't know or care what they are doing are still playing it.  Give it a as soon as the next big action game comes out they will forget about MW2 and leave it to the people who can actually play. These are the people who get bored of the game easily.  And if I couldn't go positive on my k/d EVER I'd probably get bored of it quickly too.

myslead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By myslead

This is exactly what I don't get. people with score like 5 - 19 at the second prestige and what not, I know this will come off a bit elitist, but why are you still playing? you know?  But even there, it's not the fact that ONE person is awful, it's the fact that EVERY FUCKING GAME that I get into, none of my team seems to be able to play properly.

This is mainly a really frustrated rant as I didn't get into a good game for the past 1 / 2 hours., so yeah...

deathface123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By deathface123

RAGE RAGE RAGE at matchmaking fails...
    i played a game before where there was a guy who was lvl70 10th prestige and i and most of the people in the lobby werent even first prestige or even second  : /
    the guy finished on 36 kills 2 deaths or something ridiculous compared to the rest of the people in the lobby on either team.
    i cried!

Junpei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By Junpei

There's no surefire matchmaking method. Short of getting a group of friends and rolling in a party you'll occasionally get stuck that way. Deal with it.

FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By FiestaUnicorn

I once played a game of headquarters where one guy on my team had 12 kills and 102 deaths.  It blew my mind.  And I once I played a Team Deathmatch where my team lost by two kills and the worst player on our team had 2 kills and thirty deaths.  I think the first guy was at least trying.
    azteris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By azteris
    @Junpei said:
    " There's no surefire matchmaking method. Short of getting a group of friends and rolling in a party you'll occasionally get stuck that way. Deal with it. "
    I'm not sure if you've even played Modern Warfare 2, because there is no matchmaking method. It's basically "You're a dude, right? Alright, play with these dudes".
    Alphawolfy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Alphawolfy

Used to bad games here... Whenever I get into a game with a green connection usually I have fun for one match, then the teams get really unbalanced or something like that. But of course, that comes from living in Asia.  

Anyway, you might want to take into consideration that not everyone gets consistent scores; I have sometimes gotten like 4 to 1 ratios in one game, and then a 1 to 3 ratio in the next. Do I still have fun? Yeah! So I'm not sure how you are getting positive ratios in every game, but just because you see people with bad scores in one game doesn't mean they're bad players.  

As for the matchmaking system... it ain't good. That's all I have to say. As for bad players constantly being on your team, sometimes you just have to take a break. Usually if I'm having a rough time in multiplayer I jump into some Single-player or spec-ops. They both provide an experience that is quite consistent in its fun.

Spiral_Stars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Spiral_Stars

I think they'll match those with the best scores with those with the worst. So if you're playing good, you'll normally be paired with someone bad. It feels pretty random sometimes, though. Your best bet is to get at least two other good players in a party with yourself, which should counteract any disastrous players on your team.

CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By CornontheCobbe

Unfortunately matchmaking is at random, and if you're stuck with the losing team alot, tough luck : (

Try and get a nuke and end the game so you win, problem solved! :P Just kidding. 

I have had countless times where i am always stuck on the losing team who seem to be consisted of 5 year olds, or people who use the Infinite Care Package glitch too often, and end up getting killed because the other team knows they are using it.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By iam3green

i know what u mean. this also happens to me a lot. one time i was playing with my friends and i got booted from the group. i joined again i was on the opposite team then they were. i did the best on my team with like 15 and 20.. the rest of them were like 9 and something lower.  my friends were just like that is just sad that i did the best on my team.

myslead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By myslead
    @CornontheCobbe said:

" Unfortunately matchmaking is at random, and if you're stuck with the losing team alot, tough luck : (  Try and get a nuke and end the game so you win, problem solved! :P Just kidding.   I have had countless times where i am always stuck on the losing team who seem to be consisted of 5 year olds, or people who use the Infinite Care Package glitch too often, and end up getting killed because the other team knows they are using it. "

believe it or not, but that was my failsafe mechanism that I used... got a tons of nukes lol, but I just prestige and didn't unlock it yet so...
    anyway, it's not that I do bad games, I always end up in 2:1 or 3:1 and higher K/D, but it's really frustrating to play with people that just don't know how to play and run around the maps like headless chickens.
    JokerSmilez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By JokerSmilez

Whenever I find I'm getting frustrated with some crappy matchmaking, I just switch up the game type for a while. Keeps it fresh. If you're really frustrated with always being matched with crappy players, maybe play some Free For All for a while. Then it doesn't matter.

I find that if you stick to just one or 2 game types, then you're going to sometimes get some bad games and bad groups, etc. I'm not a great player, so my K/D ratio is nowhere near yours (mine's usually around 0.8), but I can occasionally do really well. When I find I'm starting to do really badly for a few games in a row, I'll just switch up the game type or rejoin and get a different mix of players. Works for me, but I don't know how well it would work for someone that scores a lot better.

myslead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By myslead

yeah, I guess I'm a bit too stubborn to quit; I'll end up playing with bad games until I can chain a couple of good games lol.

Avatar image for dragoonkain1687
    DragoonKain1687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By DragoonKain1687
    @myslead said:
    " Hello,  So I have to get this off my chest, I've been playing Modern Warfare since the release and played alot of COD4, I'm in no shape or form new to this type of game, but while I really enjoyed COD4, I found myself more frustrated than not playing Modern Warfare 2. I'm not a bad player, my K/D is around 2.30.  What really is my issue with the game is the fact that whenever I play by myself or with one friend, I always seems to be stuck in the losing team, and by losing I do not mean, losing by 1 or 2 kills in TDM or by 5 points in Domination (playing on Ground Wars), I mean, no players is above 10 kills in my team in TDM except me who is generally having even more points than the top player on the opposite team and no one has more than 1000 points in Domination...  So what gives? I can see the logic behind putting me with the bad players to balance the teams, but 10 goddamn average players will no doubt have the upper hand against one good player. I just don't see how Infinity Ward worked this out because it really doesn't make any sense. "
    Tell me about it. The other day I was in a team that was losing 2100 to 7000. And whats worse, I had 2 prestiges in my team!! And what is really frustrating, is that you end up being the whole team, which is crap. 
    Also, whenever I invite someone, during matchmaking they split us, despite the fact that I invited him, and that we have the same Clan Tag.

MW 2 matchmaking is nothing short of pure garbage. It kind of kills the game imo. Its amazing when it works, but most of the time it doesnt.
    Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#16  Edited By Symphony

It is pretty silly how imbalanced the teams can be. There hav been countless times I'll be in lobby after a match ended and the next match it'll put the top 5 players + 1 new player in one team and then all of the lower players on the other team. Like that's not going to be a one-sided match. Of course people who don't want to be on a completely fail team leave, which then opens up a slot for a new person connecting to join only to realize that they are on a team destined to fail.

Aside from that, I wish that a match would stop taking invites if there's less than a minute left on the clock or one team is about to win. It's so annoying joining a game right as you see the "match over" scoreboard.

Junpei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By Junpei
    @Azteris said:
    " @Junpei said:
    " There's no surefire matchmaking method. Short of getting a group of friends and rolling in a party you'll occasionally get stuck that way. Deal with it. "
    I'm not sure if you've even played Modern Warfare 2, because there is no matchmaking method. It's basically "You're a dude, right? Alright, play with these dudes". "
    I've played it, I'm just saying in general any form of matchmaking isn't perfect and the only way to not get stuck like that is to get a group of people together to play with, no need to question whether or not I've played the thing at all. Randomly attack someone else for fun.
    lolgreg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By lolgreg
    @myslead:  Yeah the matchmaking is absolutely brutal.  This is my first real venture into console FPS games but I'm definitely a pretty good player, and I get so frustrated at the matchmaking.  I've literally been dropped into games just to watch the Game-Winning Kill.  
    Workyticket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Workyticket

Um, OK... I'm fairly new to online FPSing, and I'll be the first to admit that I suck. I average three deaths to every one kill, but I do make an effort to take notes and learn the game. It's true that the matchmaking does seem to shunt the highest and lowest level players together, and that is frustrating and, one would think, completely besides the point of matchmaking in the first place.

However, I play because I enjoy the game (Most of the time) and if someone wants to complain because I'm on their team and not at their skill level simply because I'm not as 'leet' as them, well... Tough, frankly. I don't grief, don't camp and try to play tactically whenever the game allows it.I may be a crap shot and have the survival rate of a lemming on meth, but I do try to play appropriately and as a team member.

But that's the thing, isn't it? A LOT of people don't know what they're doing, and it's rarely anything to do with their level or experience. The thing that's driving me up the fucking wall at the moment is getting stuck in Domination/Demolition/any of the objective based modes, where everyone seems unable or unwilling to actually go after the objectives.

I'm just tired of getting the shit shot out of me because I'm the only one trying to capture points while the rest of my team are running around pretending it's TDM. Same with Sabotage - I run with the bomb carrier, checking his path and providing cover. Everyone else? They go screaming off to fuck-knows-where at the start of the round and are never seen again. And even then you have to hope the carrier has a scrap of brain matter: I played a round last night where I'd clear a path to the nearest bomb site, only for the carrier to run off in the other direction towards the other site on the far end of the map, then die. Every. Single. Time.

Look, I'm not too experienced at the game and know I have a ton to learn, but I do know I don't join these matches just to run around and shoot people. That's what TDM and FFA are for, and quite frankly things are hard enough what with all the campers and hackers. It mystifies me why these idiots join these matches at all.

That's why I've decided to start sending friend requests to GB people: I'm just sick of playing with mentally handicapped randoms. I need a team who'll act like a team - I may die every ten seconds, but at least I'll cover you in the meantime! I do like MW2 as a game and enjoy the 'feel' of the shooting, but god are random punters stupid.  
    OK, rant over. You can probably tell I've had that on my chest a good few days!

myslead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By myslead

you should get the xbox 360 giant bombing run
    we played together yesterday and it was great.
    i'm in the process of uploading some matches where we crushed the opposition lol.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#21  Edited By sjschmidt93

I just wish I wouldn't get the same fucking map 3 times in 5 games, even if I don't leave the lobby.

Tuggah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By Tuggah

I don't really care if my team sucks, you don't have to be winning to have fun in a game. The thing that is annoying is when people play objective based game modes and ignore the objective.

Workyticket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Workyticket
    @myslead:  I know, keep missing them ha ha! I'm in Australia so have to keep an eye on the time difference... Missed yesterday's bombing run by about an hour! Will catch you guys eventually
    Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TheMustacheHero

Because modern warfare 2 was made for casual audiences and by casual I don't mean soccer mom. I mean the kind of guy who doesn't play video games a lot, sucks at them, but has a 360/PS3 anyways and figured out from all his brodacious friends that MW2 was "the bomb" and so he likes to sit at home and "epicly pwn" dudes, even though he sucks cock at the game. But the game is easy to play and rewards him for just about everything he does, so he likes it.

u03mja3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By u03mja3

I have a theory about this. MW2 is an infinitely more frustrating game than CoD4 was, as there are so many ways to die that feel a bit cheap (eg care packages giving AC-130's, random Predator missile deaths, commando perk and the huge power of killstreak rewards in general). This has the effect that many people 'rage quit' who would normally never be the rage quitting type. I rarely play through a whole game where no one leaves. It usually averages at around three people quitting out per game. Then when a new player tries to join a match the matchmaking system (if you can call it that) tries to fill any wholes in games that are currently running. This leads to new players getting dumped into a game where their team is already getting destroyed. If you are dropped into a game like this it can be impossible to recover. I once joined a game and was killed by an AC-130 twice and then by a predator missile before I actually even saw a member of the opposing team! I actually started playing CoD4 again and its so much more fun.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.