Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Monster Hunter Generations

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Nov 28, 2015

An action role-playing game published by Capcom for the Nintendo 3DS. The game was released in Japan under the name Monster Hunter X (pronounced "Cross") in November 2015.

Monster Hunter Double Cross announced.

NeoCalypso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By NeoCalypso

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/monster-hunters-nintendo-direct-reveals-a-new-upgr/1100-6444868/

So far it looks like we've got G-rank quests.

Barroth, Barioth, Diablos make a return in addition to a Diablos deviant. Plus a new seemingly jet powered monster that appears to be the flagship monster this time around.

Two new Hunter Syles, Brave and Bomb style.

and apparently Palicos will be able to use styles (which seems borderline broken considering how good they are in the first game).

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Eh Pailcoes take too long to kill anything, let them have styles.

That said lol didn't they say there wouldn't be a G version of this game? Might not pick it up, went in *hard* on Gen. Of course who knows how I'll feel by the time it makes its way over here. Rocket dragons seems arite, as long as its armors and weapons have cool rocket effects too.

Hamborgini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Here's hoping for a Western release. I still play Generations just about every day, and I'd happily pick up this if they put it out over here. Brave style looks like a ton of fun.

RickRockmann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That jet monster and ESPECIALLY that Diablos variant look straight out of MH Online, which is... not a great look. I guess that's kind of the aesthetic X/Generations has been going for, but this just makes me hope more and more that the inevitable Monster Hunter 5 reels some of the crazy back in, even just a little bit.

NeoCalypso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh Pailcoes take too long to kill anything, let them have styles.

Maybe compared to speed running lancers or something sure, but a full Boomerang near perfect Palico(something very easy to get these days) absolutely has dps on par with a good hunter and is significantly more safe while doing it.

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By WynnDuffy

I was really hoping this was an early Switch announcement, damn, no interest in using a 3DS again

By the time this comes to the US you have to think "What's the point?".

cat_herder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was really hoping this was an early Switch announcement, damn, no interest in using a 3DS again

By the time this comes to the US you have to think "What's the point?".

That was exactly my thought, I love Monster Hunter but that 3ds screen is so bad.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Maybe I'm the sucker for not anticipating the obligatory "G/Ultimate" style upgrade. New styles are cool, G-Rank is cool, new monsters are potentially cool, but I don't feel like burning myself out when this is obviously a stopgap for the inevitable Monster Hunter 5 (which hopefully won't be a 3DS game.) I already felt like Generations was maybe a little too similar to MH4U (and I put in something like a third as much time into it) so I don't think I'll get this if it does end up coming to the west. Maybe if it ends up coming to the Switch or I can get it for dirt cheap. Otherwise... I don't think so.

Call me when there's a new weapon type, or they streamline out some of the dumber, grinder elements that always inevitably kill my enthusiasm once I reach the endgame.

Avatar image for insane_shadowblade85
    insane_shadowblade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just knew Monster Hunter would double cross people one day. I'll just show myself out.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

monster hunter double peace

circlenine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By circlenine

I'll probably end up passing on Monster Hunter Generations Generations. I didn't really care for the new upgrade system for equipment that they used this time around, and going through more of it with new G Rank gear just sounds like a hassle that I don't need.

Also the deviant quest system that functions like urgent quests where only the poster gets credit for that rank really put my off of doing more than two of them to completion, which was really unfortunate. Because while the fights were okay, getting people to run through all of the levels with you always felt difficult. And as someone who mainly ended up playing prowler, needing to hit level ten in anything I wanted to make the weapon in was such an inconvenience.

I definitely got my moneys worth with something like 300 hours played, but I can't go back to the well so soon if some fairly major things don't change.

NeoCalypso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By NeoCalypso

@circlenine said:

Also the deviant quest system that functions like urgent quests where only the poster gets credit for that rank really put my off of doing more than two of them to completion, which was really unfortunate. Because while the fights were okay, getting people to run through all of the levels with you always felt difficult. And as someone who mainly ended up playing prowler, needing to hit level ten in anything I wanted to make the weapon in was such an inconvenience.

I think it was real shitty in general how they handled both Deviant and Gathering Hall based village requests. But at the same time it's not like you actually needed to level the deviants up yourself. There was always someone running the monsters at every level. Not to mention you say it was an inconvenience having to do a level 10 for weapons(which you only actually need level 9) but it's one of the things that makes prowlers so damned easy, because you don't actually have to level it yourself. Just hop in someone's level 9 Deadeye Garuga room kill the relatively easy monster and blam you have arguably the best prowler weapon in the game already. Or hell even join one of the many level 10 experience farming Deadeye rooms where cats are literally killing two Deadeyes in like 6 minutes.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f
    deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was incredibly disappointed with Generations. And i'am a massive monster hunter fan. Adding G rank to it and a few more monsters from 3 will probably help out my opinion of it. Was fun. But the deviant monsters were tedious, they brought back all the bad monsters from 2 and compared to 4U there was zero story. Hopefully this address those issues.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That said lol didn't they say there wouldn't be a G version of this game?

Sounds like a bit of a...

Double Cross.

NeoCalypso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By NeoCalypso

@therealmoot said:

I was incredibly disappointed with Generations. And i'am a massive monster hunter fan. Adding G rank to it and a few more monsters from 3 will probably help out my opinion of it. Was fun. But the deviant monsters were tedious, they brought back all the bad monsters from 2 and compared to 4U there was zero story. Hopefully this address those issues.

I only really had two serious problems with the game, and that were depth of content and difficulty. Without G-Rank there wasn't a ton of unique stuff to do late game and you can kinda imagine they made the deviant weapon/armor system the way they did to counter that. But also the game was significantly easier than previous iterations. It seriously felt like they added in hunter styles which makes players much more powerful and capable, but didn't re-balance the game in any way to counterbalance that.

So all in all it led to a game that I finished damn near 100% in around 150 hours. Which obviously for a $40 game is pretty god damn good in terms of value. But I've never been able to do anything in a previous game in less than 280 or so hours. I definitely got to the end of my time really wanting to play more, but not having anything of real value to do.

They definitely picked some of the worst monsters, but at the same time this was very purposely a MH tribute game so they had to bring back some of the classics. Like there is no reason to have Khezu anymore when you can put Gigginox in there.

ichthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ichthy

I'll probably still get this because I'm an idiot who's played ALL of the main MH games (except for Tri), but Generations felt ridiculously rehashy to me. It felt like playing a Mario Kart where 80% of the game was re-used tracks. And it's not as if the early monsters/maps were particularly good either.

rempresent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It's sad that Generations, over time, has become such a chore and uninteresting after getting to high rank. I don't know if I am tired of the genre or if I have rung out all the enjoyment I could out of it. You would think that the online side would be a little more fruitful, but fighting online with people is frustrating 80% of the time if you can get people to hunt with.

I'll pick it up just to support Monster Hunter, I don't know if I will get in that deep. The farm, the armors, the grind, the monsters... I'm going to need something a lot more rewarding and supportive to tackle another Monster Hunter game again. They can't reel me in with G-rank even though I wish they have just waited to release Double Cross instead of Generations. In retrospect, MH4U was the pinnacle for me, what an amazing MH game.

I thought playing as a Palico was a misstep, you have to treat it as a new weapon practically. I think they should add all the races, have them control a lot like hunters and give them race buffs. Thinking about a Palico with a lance fighting alongside a shakalaka with a bow is really interesting imagery.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.