Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Morrowind

Location » linked to 4 games

Home to the Dunmer and presided over by the tribunal gods, Imperial provincial rule, and the three Great Houses of Morrowind.

This is the grand-daddy of free-roaming worlds.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Anyone disagree?

*Picks up Magnum*

Choose your answer carefully.
    Avatar image for parrapatehrappa
    ParrapatehRappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By ParrapatehRappa

What. Morrowind? I thought Daggerfall topped Morrowind in regards to free roaming worlds. Too bad it's never going to be remade.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Never played it, sadly. I doubt it would beat Morrowind though. That just seems impossible.

deathfury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By deathfury

I still play Morrowind, and still have not beaten it. I must say it is the greatest open world RPG ever. Its too bad that Bethesda is now making their game worlds smaller and smaller.

ParrapatehRappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ParrapatehRappa
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "Never played it, sadly. I doubt it would beat Morrowind though. That just seems impossible."
    Are you a Morrowind fanboy? I'm pretty sure it's a fact that Daggerfall trumps Morrowinds world when it comes to size. You "doubt" it would beat Morrowind, you don't know it though. I suggest putting down your internet Magnum and picking up some smarts.
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    deathfury said:
    "I still play Morrowind, and still have not beaten it. I must say it is the greatest open world RPG ever. Its too bad that Bethesda is now making their game worlds smaller and smaller.
    "
    It pisses me off to no end. With Fallout, I was okay with it possibly because of the more action-based nature of the game, but Oblivion was crap because of it to me.

If I could make a game, I would play Morrowind for hours to try and understand what made it so great before anything went on paper.
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Daggerfall is bigger. Bigger by a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooong way. As for content, I dunno, I haven't played either.

deathfury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By deathfury

Bethesda has been making the games smaller for a while, Daggerfall was bigger than Morrowind, but it still was not in full 3d, I find Morrowind more enjoyable in general.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Diamond

Not the first open world, not the best.

I really like the Fallout 3 world these days.
    I enjoyed the world of Morrowind more than Oblivion's world, but I liked Oblivion's gameplay mechanics better.

The original Everquest is a world that holds a very special place in my heart.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    ParrapatehRappa said:
    "Arkthemaniac said:
    "Never played it, sadly. I doubt it would beat Morrowind though. That just seems impossible."
    Are you a Morrowind fanboy? I'm pretty sure it's a fact that Daggerfall trumps Morrowinds world when it comes to size. You "doubt" it would beat Morrowind, you don't know it though. I suggest putting down your internet Magnum and picking up some smarts.
    "
    Size isn't what makes it good. It's content combined with size, and the fact that Morrowind is full 3D, and simply how Morrowind looks and feels (the flora, the different creatures, the architecture) made it completely immersive as a believable world that no one has ever seen before.

If Daggerfall is the same way, I'll have to find some way to play it, but I have no idea on how to go about that. The swampy, dark nature of Morrowind made it really memorable to me. That's why I doubt Daggerfall could blow me off my feet, unless it made an even more brilliant world. And my .44 is still up.
    JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By JoelTGM

I enjoyed Oblivion just doing quest after quest, but after I finished it all I put it away.  I think I played Fable 1 more than Oblivion... played Morrowind more than both those games combined.

ParrapatehRappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ParrapatehRappa
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "ParrapatehRappa said:
    "Arkthemaniac said:
    "
    Size isn't what makes it good. It's content combined with size, and the fact that Morrowind is full 3D, and simply how Morrowind looks and feels (the flora, the different creatures, the architecture) made it completely immersive as a believable world that no one has ever seen before.

If Daggerfall is the same way, I'll have to find some way to play it, but I have no idea on how to go about that. The swampy, dark nature of Morrowind made it really memorable to me. That's why I doubt Daggerfall could blow me off my feet, unless it made an even more brilliant world. And my .44 is still up.
    "
    If you want, then download the Morrowind mod for Oblivion. Last I checked, someone or some people were remaking the world of Morrowind. It's just a matter of you having a good PC I guess. Although this was long ago, and for all I know it has been halted by now.
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    DOUBLESHOCK said:
    "I enjoyed Oblivion just doing quest after quest, but after I finished it all I put it away.  I think I played Fable 1 more than Oblivion... played Morrowind more than both those games combined.
    "
    Same here. I played Morrowind like a fiend.
    BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BiggerBomb
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "Anyone disagree?
    *Picks up Magnum*

"

It's the single largest world I have ever explored and the most richly detailed, it's not my favorite though. I'm one of those heretics who prefers Oblivion...
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    BiggerBomb said:
    "Arkthemaniac said:
    "Anyone disagree?
    *Picks up Magnum*

"

It's the single largest world I have ever explored and the most richly detailed, it's not my favorite though. I'm one of those heretics who prefers Oblivion...
    "
    I TOLD YOU I HAVE A MAGNUM!!!!!!!

*Sigh* . . . you get off today . . . 'Cause I like ya alot.

I actually just downloaded Daggerfall, and will probably post my thoughts sometime later in February. IN VIDEO FORM, PERHAPS!?! We'll see.
    BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BiggerBomb

That would be cool!

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By Systech

Nope. It's Liberty City in GTA IV.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18  Edited By Karmum
    systech said:
    "Nope. It's Liberty City in GTA IV.
    "
    In terms of size, or in terms of it immersing you in its world? I don't think it wins [GTA IV], size wise.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A little TOO open world. I tried playing that game twice and got lost with no idea what I was gonna do.
    The shitty combat didn't help keep my interest, but the world is pretty amazing. There's also quite a few mods out which really pretty it up.
    Not Oblivion level, but close.

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Systech
    Karmum said:
    "systech said:
    "
    In terms of size, or in terms of it immersing you in its world? I don't think it wins [GTA IV], size wise.
    "
    In terms of size, probably Morrowind or Oblivion.
    BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BiggerBomb
    systech said:
    "
    Were you to run across Liberty City it would take you about 15-25 minutes. I defy you to start from Vivec, working your way North to Solstheim, and complete the journey in under 45m-1hr. Morrowind is far larger than Liberty City, far larger.
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    systech said:
    "
    Go to hell and BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURN!

I've played Daggerfall for 10 minutes of in-game play so far, and I just gotta say . . . this is probably the most PC PC game ever.
    BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BiggerBomb
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "systech said:
    "

I've played Daggerfall for 10 minutes of in-game play so far, and I just gotta say . . . this is probably the most PC PC game ever.
    "
    What exactly do you mean by "the most PC PC game ever?" Does that mean it's the most politically correct PC game ever? I've never played Daggerfall, but if this is the case, Bioware must have changed hands before Morrowind came out....

'cus you can totally smoke crack in Morrowind. In fact, you actually have to cultivate Moonsugar and through an alchemical process you create Skooma. Then you need a pipe and THEN you can smoke it. Yet somehow Morrowind is only rated T. Go figure.

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Hexpane

Loved Morrowind, but the odd part is my favorite is Tribunal, which was the least open ended expansion Bethesda has made yet.

Developers and gamers are starting to realize that just because a world is "open" does not make it fun.    Gaming is all about risk/reward and balance.  Morrowind had broken balance, but it offset that w/ hugely rewarding activities that allowed you to be creative and become almost godlike in that game.  Levitating around cities summoning beasts to lay waste to the guards was a never ending sense of joy in that game.

Tribunal brought back the idea of , get quest... go to dangerous area, barely survive, return to quest giver, GET AWESOME REWARD!

Too many RPGs and pseudo RPGs these days forget the awesome reward part.  Getting a few 'credits' a-la Deus Ex Invisible War sucks ass.  Getting an UBER SET OF ARMOR for a ball kickingly hard quest, THAT is how you do a RPG.  Make the player SUFFER then reward him for his blood, sweat, tears.

Too often in the main quest in Morrowind I'd be waiting for my reward and the NPC would just be staring at my like "move along now"..

And when the reward in some games is "Ooops, the princess, oh yeah.. she's uhh in another castle I think"... that just sucked dirty hobo ass.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BiggerBomb
    Hexpane said:
    "Loved Morrowind, but the odd part is my favorite is Tribunal, which was the least open ended expansion Bethesda has made yet.

Developers and gamers are starting to realize that just because a world is "open" does not make it fun.    Gaming is all about risk/reward and balance.  Morrowind had broken balance, but it offset that w/ hugely rewarding activities that allowed you to be creative and become almost godlike in that game.  Levitating around cities summoning beasts to lay waste to the guards was a never ending sense of joy in that game.

Tribunal brought back the idea of , get quest... go to dangerous area, barely survive, return to quest giver, GET AWESOME REWARD!

Too many RPGs and pseudo RPGs these days forget the awesome reward part.  Getting a few 'credits' a-la Deus Ex Invisible War sucks ass.  Getting an UBER SET OF ARMOR for a ball kickingly hard quest, THAT is how you do a RPG.  Make the player SUFFER then reward him for his blood, sweat, tears.

Too often in the main quest in Morrowind I'd be waiting for my reward and the NPC would just be staring at my like "move along now"..

And when the reward in some games is "Ooops, the princess, oh yeah.. she's uhh in another castle I think"... that just sucked dirty hobo ass.
    "

You liked Tribunal more than Bloodmoon....?!?!?! HE'S A WITCH, BURN THE WITCH!
    Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

It's hard for me to jump on the Morrowind boat anymore, mostly because I have a hard time immersing myself in the game now, as opposed to back in the early 2000's (when I dumped like 300 hours into it). 

Granted, I played on the Xbox and not the PC, so that might be a point of contention.

Thing is, even though I can't go back and enjoy Morrowind like I used to, modern free-roaming games don't match the memories I have of Morrowind or the impression of scale or freedom.  There was something about that game, some mystery or sense of the unknown, that made that game ridiculously voluminous. 

I agree with the comment that the controls in Oblivion are more satisfying from the get go, but once you got powerful in Morrowind, very few things could stop you.  And the loot, man.  The fucking loot.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By BiggerBomb
    Sir_Ragnarok said:
    "It's hard for me to jump on the Morrowind boat anymore, mostly because I have a hard time immersing myself in the game now, as opposed to back in the early 2000's (when I dumped like 300 hours into it). 

Granted, I played on the Xbox and not the PC, so that might be a point of contention.

Thing is, even though I can't go back and enjoy Morrowind like I used to, modern free-roaming games don't match the memories I have of Morrowind or the impression of scale or freedom.  There was something about that game, some mystery or sense of the unknown, that made that game ridiculously voluminous. 

I agree with the comment that the controls in Oblivion are more satisfying from the get go, but once you got powerful in Morrowind, very few things could stop you.  And the loot, man.  The fucking loot.
    "
    I agree with your comment on the ability to go back and enjoy Morrowind, but not for the same reasons. Personally, I can become nearly as immersed in Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic I & II as I could when I first played them. Unfortunately, back when I played Morrowind, I was an idiot. I used *shudders* cheat codes back then and very much ruined the experience for me. Because of this, I can't go back...

/cry

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
    deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

ParrapatehRappa said:
    "Arkthemaniac said:
    "

Size has nothing to do with it. Daggerfall was a dead, algorithmic world, and a broken one at that. An unpatched Daggerfall is unbeatable because of the bugs, and the fully patched version isn't exactly the most stable program to exist. On top of that are the dungeons. I don't think I've ever been able to successfully complete a dungeon crawl. It just isn't worth it.
    Kiemoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#29  Edited By Kiemoe

I'm gonna have to agree, just because of the sheer fun of finding funny easter eggs in the world. There just aren't as many cool things you can find in any other game that I can think of. I remember finding a sunken ship full of pillows that was supposed to be given to a lady who's house was full of pillows. There was also a man who fell from the sky to his death in my face. You can't beat that.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By BiggerBomb
    Bellum said:
    "ParrapatehRappa said:
    "Arkthemaniac said:
    "

Size has nothing to do with it. Daggerfall was a dead, algorithmic world, and a broken one at that. An unpatched Daggerfall is unbeatable because of the bugs, and the fully patched version isn't exactly the most stable program to exist. On top of that are the dungeons. I don't think I've ever been able to successfully complete a dungeon crawl. It just isn't worth it.
    "

Exactly. Daggerfall is just a bunch of randomly generated instances lined up next to one another. If Daggerfall is an open world, so is Call of Duty 4.
    ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#31  Edited By ZombieHunterOG

i have one question.....

WHERE THE FUCK DID YOU GET A MAGNUM .... i want one :P 
    georgecletus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By georgecletus

morrowind is awesome, except for the combat, and the graphics have aged horribly. but the game has such a charm to it. tis all i have to say.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    BiggerBomb said:
    "Arkthemaniac said:
    "systech said:
    "

"
    What exactly do you mean by "the most PC PC game ever?"
    "
    Every key does something, I mean.

Memorizing the controls is the game equivalent of someone reading you a verse from the bible, hitting you in the side of the head with a 2X4, and then asking you to repeat it back in perfect Russian.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.