Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Nov 16, 2008

The supernatural kombatants of Mortal Kombat collide with the superheroes of the DC Universe in this crossover fighting game by Midway.

Im not so sure about his game anymore..judging by the reviews

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By mrfluke
    they say that the game is fun  but the animations are stiff the story is ok  but the thing thats hurting the most is the lack of content  because in a world where we pay 60 for a game you have to make sure it has some legs to make you come back to play but judging by the SEVERE backlash the mk community has for this game (seriously go read the comments under the recent videos ) i dont know if there will be a stable online community for this game

am i the only one with these concerns  or is this what other people are also thinking as well because the street fighters will always have their community the soul caliburs will also but the line for mk has been divided due to the rated T for TEEN rating and the lack of gore in the fatalities you guys saw people swearing off mk with people selling their ebay collection

also if you think im a troll im the top editor for this page so that wouldnt make any sense
    Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
    deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

So the game isn't fun enough because of a lack of content?

I hate to defend a fighting game, but the amount of content has little to do with the value of a game.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Hamz

Fighting games aren't really about the quantity content in my opinion but rather the beating the crap out of other dudes characters. Quality > Quantity in my opinion.

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Endogene
    Hamz said:
    "Fighting games aren't really about the quantity content in my opinion but rather the beating the crap out of other dudes characters. Quality > Quantity in my opinion."
    Not exactly in the case of mortal combat, mortal kombat is not for the hardcore fighting games fans but for the somewhat more casual even ed boom said it. And casual want quantity.
    kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5  Edited By kush

Since your entire post is bold, I am reading it as if it were coming from an obnoxious 12 year old...you say that you are unsure about the game because of the reviews, but what reviews are out there? (just checked metacritic and there is 1 review from OXM with a score of 8.5) ...also, I've never heard any MK fans selling their entire MK collection because this game is rated Teen. If that is true, then those fans are obviously retarded and I'm glad that they're gone.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mrfluke

yeh i probaly came off as a fucking 12 year old ( i bolded the text for no reason )
    but yeh the ign review is out  they gave it 7.5 (they actually took off points for the game having tamed fatalities so i shouldnt take their opinion seriously)
    also my only issue really with mk vs dc is if the game will have a online community maybe i should ve titled this topic "whos getting this game"
    b
    ecause other than that and aside from the stiffness im seeing this is as mk returning to form

another thing of note all the hate ive seen for this game came from gamespot and kotaku

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By kush

I think that there are still plenty of MK fans who aren't completely throwing away this game due to it's Teen rating, plus there could be a big jump in new fans thanks to the DC license. If the game is actually good and fun to play, then I expect it to have a decent online following.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mrfluke

yeh true im gonna put my final opinion after i see what jeff says when he finishes the review for the game
    if anybody hes the guy you 'd wanna ask if the game is good since he loved the good old mk games and didnt like the bad new mk games 

now if you will excuse me im gonna try to take down jeffs  675 point score on this page :P

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By keyhunter
    Kush said:
    "Since your entire post is bold, I am reading it as if it were coming from an obnoxious 12 year old...you say that you are unsure about the game because of the reviews, but what reviews are out there? (just checked metacritic and there is 1 review from OXM with a score of 8.5) ...also, I've never heard any MK fans selling their entire MK collection because this game is rated Teen. If that is true, then those fans are obviously retarded and I'm glad that they're gone."
    Dude, it's bold because you'd have to be bold to be publicly unsure about Mortal Kombat!
    zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By zitosilva

Was there ever a point in which you were sure about this game? Mortal Kombat games haven't been good ever since what? The third one? And this has... superman in it... I just can't get sold on this idea.

What it will most likely be: Have you played the last two or three Mortal Kombat games? If you liked them chances are it's pretty much the same, with the exception of having the Joker instead of awesome characters like, say, Kobra. But I'd guess the online community wouldn't last very long, at least that's what happened to the previous entries in the series, wasn't it?

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mrfluke
     for mk armageddon there is still people playing that game i played with someone last week but then  they had a created character i hope if this one does good enough that for mk 9 they bring back the create a character mode that they had last time that would help stop the bitching reviews have for this games lack of content they say
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By jakob187

I'd rather have Boon stick with MK and not bring in the DC part.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

jakob187 said:
    "I'd rather have Boon stick with MK and not bring in the DC part."
    I kind of agree, I actually would have liked them to stick with DC just for this game to see how to works out but, I want to beable to rip of superman fucking head, MK is based on gore, there was even a documentary on how much blood/gore was in the other games, it`s just wrong to make a T MK game, if your a fan since the start then you would argee.
    I`m still going to purchase this one though, looking pretty awesome to me.
    Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Absurd
    Kush said:
    "Since your entire post is bold, I am reading it as if it were coming from an obnoxious 12 year old...you say that you are unsure about the game because of the reviews, but what reviews are out there? (just checked metacritic and there is 1 review from OXM with a score of 8.5) ...also, I've never heard any MK fans selling their entire MK collection because this game is rated Teen. If that is true, then those fans are obviously retarded and I'm glad that they're gone."
    I would say they aren't fans at all >.>
    kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By kush
    Absurd said:
    "I would say they aren't fans at all >.>"
    That's pretty much what I was saying without actually saying it and thus saying it to say that I said it by saying that I said it.
    mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mrfluke
    Kush said:
    "Absurd said:
    That's pretty much what I was saying without actually saying it and thus saying it to say that I said it by saying that I said it."
    Bucketdeth said:
    "jakob187 said:
    "I'd rather have Boon stick with MK and not bring in the DC part."
    I kind of agree, I actually would have liked them to stick with DC just for this game to see how to works out but, I want to beable to rip of superman fucking head, MK is based on gore, there was even a documentary on how much blood/gore was in the other games, it`s just wrong to make a T MK game, if your a fan since the start then you would argee.
    I`m still going to purchase this one though, looking pretty awesome to me."
    thats all im gonna post
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jakob187
    Kush said:
    "Absurd said:
    That's pretty much what I was saying without actually saying it and thus saying it to say that I said it by saying that I said it."
    Kush...sit down, chill out, breathe a big breath, and grab a milkshake.  I think that you think that you're thinking too much about the thinking you need to think about when you think up this stuff.
    Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By Red

They just messed up with the sidestep. They said it was only to position moves but it's not. The next MK I think should be strictly 2d, maybe not even with 3d character models.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By mrfluke
    Red said:
    "They just messed up with the sidestep. They said it was only to position moves but it's not. The next MK I think should be strictly 2d, maybe not even with 3d character models."
    thats a little too much to ask i think because look at street fighter 4 that is 3d but plays like a 2d game they should make it more like sf4 next time around (if there is a next time)
    if you do want it 2d again they should "do the bionic commando rearmed treatment" for mk trilogy and put it out on xbla and actually have that 8 player tournament mode actually mean something this time around

in concept that doesnt seem hard at all to do and if there is still a midway ed boon can do this and put it out next year (and still focus on the next mk ) and they can possibly recoup their losses if mk vs dc really doesnt do well
    skunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By skunk

yah, the reviews have me a little worried too. I really haven't liked any of the MK's after 3 but I'm still hoping this one turns out different.

Also agree on making the next one strictly 2d platform and 3d characters. That sidestepping/weapon business from the last one was retarded.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jakob187

I think the problem is that MK tried to catch up to what it thought was the leaders, when in fact...it was one of the two leaders.

SF, MK, and SS are the definition of 2D fighting games.  Everything else came at a different time and did what they needed to do.  SC and VF and Tekken rule the 3D ring, and I think SF and MK need to stick to 2D, as that's where they are the kings.
    Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
    deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree with the sentiment of this thread. In fact, if at all possible, they should avoid writing any new code. They should just take the arcade version of MK and port it to modern consoles, re-releasing it every few years with a different name. New gameplay elements are for the weak.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By jakob187
    Bellum said:
    "I agree with the sentiment of this thread. In fact, if at all possible, they should avoid writing any new code. They should just take the arcade version of MK and port it to modern consoles, re-releasing it every few years with a different name. New gameplay elements are for the weak."
    If that was sarcasm, I caught it.  If not, lol.
    I don't think anyone is saying "no" to new gameplay elements.  There's just not really any need for this series to be in 3D.  I mean, look at SFIV.  That game is highly successful so far, and it's 2D through and through.  MK could easily do the same thing.  I think the freefall kombat stuff is pretty cool as an addition, and you could easily do that in a 2D fighter, as it's all on a single plane that can't really be controlled movement-wise.  The grapple QTE stuff, however, just bothers the fuck out of me.  I'm calling that it'll be glitched and fuck up a ton of matches.

Here's a perfect MK game:  roster of 20 characters with 6 unlockables (and ffs, include Kabal and Stryker), two fatalities for each character, 2D plane for fighting, no more than 3 hit combos, add in the freefall mechanic for multi-tiered environments, and add some of the pro move shit in there.  That's all you need.

And they pretty much have most of that in this game - except they have a 3D plane with the sidestepping, "brutalities" because of the T rating, and a roster of 20 characters that is only half-full with MK players.

In short, fuck Superman.  I blame his gay ass.
    mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By mrfluke
    jakob187 said:
    "I think the problem is that MK tried to catch up to what it thought was the leaders, when in fact...it was one of the two leaders.

SF, MK, and SS are the definition of 2D fighting games.  Everything else came at a different time and did what they needed to do.  SC and VF and Tekken rule the 3D ring, and I think SF and MK need to stick to 2D, as that's where they are the kings.
    "
    1000000%  agree with you  (even if i think samurai showdown even though a great fighting game kinda niche to me) on what your saying  you nailed it
    mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By mrfluke
    jakob187 said:
    "Bellum said:
    "I agree with the sentiment of this thread. In fact, if at all possible, they should avoid writing any new code. They should just take the arcade version of MK and port it to modern consoles, re-releasing it every few years with a different name. New gameplay elements are for the weak."
    If that was sarcasm, I caught it.  If not, lol.
    I don't think anyone is saying "no" to new gameplay elements.  There's just not really any need for this series to be in 3D.  I mean, look at SFIV.  That game is highly successful so far, and it's 2D through and through.  MK could easily do the same thing.  I think the freefall kombat stuff is pretty cool as an addition, and you could easily do that in a 2D fighter, as it's all on a single plane that can't really be controlled movement-wise.  The grapple QTE stuff, however, just bothers the fuck out of me.  I'm calling that it'll be glitched and fuck up a ton of matches.

Here's a perfect MK game:  roster of 20 characters with 6 unlockables (and ffs, include Kabal and Stryker), two fatalities for each character, 2D plane for fighting, no more than 3 hit combos, add in the freefall mechanic for multi-tiered environments, and add some of the pro move shit in there.  That's all you need.

And they pretty much have most of that in this game - except they have a 3D plane with the sidestepping, "brutalities" because of the T rating, and a roster of 20 characters that is only half-full with MK players.

In short, fuck Superman.  I blame his gay ass.
    "
    i blame dc in general
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By jakob187
    mrfluke said:
    "i blame dc in general"
    Blame Marvel vs. Capcom.
    mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By mrfluke

i dunno about that i think marvel would be okay with their characters killing people for once and they have more memorable characters
    plus a marvel vs mk or the "pipe dream" mk vs street fighter would be hells better and would make better sense (street fighter has psycho power  and hadou energy so the rage story would be better suited) and marvel has their more super powerful characters( that can make tears in time and space hint hint) plus a thor vs raiden or magneto vs raiden would be much more kickass 

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By jakob187
    mrfluke said:
    "i dunno about that i think marvel would be okay with their characters killing people for once and they have more memorable characters
    plus a marvel vs mk or the "pipe dream" mk vs street fighter would be hells better and would make better sense (street fighter has psycho power  and hadou energy so the rage story would be better suited) and marvel has their more super powerful characters( that can make tears in time and space hint hint) plus a thor vs raiden or magneto vs raiden would be much more kickass "
    I hate crossovers.  It's bullshit.  If the people are so unoriginal that they can't come up with their own damn characters, then they need to just stick with the same characters that they already have.  It's not like there aren't enough in the MK universe or the SF universe to keep things on their own.
    With MvC, I could completely understand that, as it was guys like Mega Man and shit that aren't from fighting games against Marvel doods...and it was totally rockin'.  Nonetheless, once you had that, there was a ton of OTHER collaboration "versus" games that just ruined it all.

I still think X-Men: Children of the Atom was a massive high-point for Capcom in making fighting games that weren't SF, as that title was fucking brutal!!!

As it stands right now, the most I can truly hope for is a return to one of the coolest fighting franchises out there:  Darkstalkers.  Imagine THAT with the SFIV engine.  =  D
    mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By mrfluke
    jakob187 said:
    "mrfluke said:
    "i dunno about that i think marvel would be okay with their characters killing people for once and they have more memorable characters
    plus a marvel vs mk or the "pipe dream" mk vs street fighter would be hells better and would make better sense (street fighter has psycho power  and hadou energy so the rage story would be better suited) and marvel has their more super powerful characters( that can make tears in time and space hint hint) plus a thor vs raiden or magneto vs raiden would be much more kickass "
    I hate crossovers.  It's bullshit.  If the people are so unoriginal that they can't come up with their own damn characters, then they need to just stick with the same characters that they already have.  It's not like there aren't enough in the MK universe or the SF universe to keep things on their own.
    With MvC, I could completely understand that, as it was guys like Mega Man and shit that aren't from fighting games against Marvel doods...and it was totally rockin'.  Nonetheless, once you had that, there was a ton of OTHER collaboration "versus" games that just ruined it all.

I still think X-Men: Children of the Atom was a massive high-point for Capcom in making fighting games that weren't SF, as that title was fucking brutal!!!

As it stands right now, the most I can truly hope for is a return to one of the coolest fighting franchises out there:  Darkstalkers.  Imagine THAT with the SFIV engine.  =  D
    "
    they made xmen children of the atom? didnt know that
    as for your darkstalker with the street fighter 4 engine the producer on street fighter 4  Mr Ono said he would like to do a darkstalkers game  after hes done with street fighter and he also said he wants to try polygon morphing
    mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By mrfluke
    screw it im gonna get it after im hearing from the "true" mk fans * puts on flame suit* that they love the game
    ThePhenomenal1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ThePhenomenal1
    jakob187 said:
    "mrfluke said:

"
    well mortal kombat armageddon had like 60 characters. you're telling me that the mk team at midway can't come up with characters?

this game serves as the beginning of a series reboot. it does it very well. its not a cannon game by any means but what we're playing now will be how the next mk game plays. its awsome.

oh and fighting game fanboys need to stick to their fighting games. i stick to mortal kombat and street fighter. i don't bother other people on their fighting games. then again, i just like playing all fighting games. which aparently doesn't make me a fighting game fan if i don't just play one series of fighting games, but whatever.  mortal kombat still has legs on its 8th installment.
    Gameboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Gameboi

It combines two of my favorite things: MK and DC characters.  Can't imagine myself not liking the the game.  As long as the word "fun" is mentioned in a review, I have few worries.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.