Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mortal Kombat X

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Apr 14, 2015

The tenth installment of the bloody and storied fighting game franchise picks up decades after the events of the 2011 franchise re-boot, as new and returning kombatants fight throughout the realms over the power of an imprisoned evil.

Wherefore art thou, Smoke?

conker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By conker

I'm reaaally beginning to worry that Smoke wont be included in the roster for this game. He's basically my main and, while im still 100% buying the game, it would be a huge bummer.

Who's your main and has he/she been announced or are you fretting like I am?

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

Skarlet wound up as my main in MK9. I would obviously like her to be in X, but I have literally zero hope it's going to happen.

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 1

Agreed.

Smoke was actually one of my favorite characters in MK9. He was literally Noobs shadow for the majority of the older games, so the fact that they gave him such an awesome character was great! I really hope he comes back!

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Smoke and Noob were the last two main roster characters announced for MK9. They just announced Kitana and Kung Lao. Don't worry about it until closer to release.

conker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Skarlet wound up as my main in MK9. I would obviously like her to be in X, but I have literally zero hope it's going to happen.

At this point I'm hoping if he isnt announced in the main game, he'll come in as DLC. Also, Kratos pls

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

I wouldn't be worried about it, I feel Smoke is a lock. But you could be on to something with DLC.

As for Skarlet...

ehhhhhhhh? Probably not? Maybe DLC?

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Smoke, Shmoke. I demand that they do right by Freddy and give him an overhaul! One glove. Englund face. Non-lame second fatality. *grumble grumble*

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I am pro-smoke, so I hope he shows up.

Sektor was my main in MK9 but somehow I doubt there will be quite the breadth of cyborg ninjas this time around. You have to remember that the full roster probably won't be out there until the game launches. That's what Netherrealm does.

bargainben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By bargainben

@geraltitude: In the interest of gender equality I think she'd make the cut over, say, a brand new girl. Or like Frost or something embarrassing from right before the reboot.

conker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly, if Smoke is announced as DLC then this will be the first I game I ever buy DLC for ever. So hyped for MKX!

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By GERALTITUDE

@geraltitude: In the interest of gender equality I think she'd make the cut over, say, a brand new girl. Or like Frost or something embarrassing from right before the reboot.

I love me some MK but I'm not sure "gender equality" is something that series concerns itself with! I feel like "a brand new girl" is exactly their style. But I suppose they did already add new girls Cassie Cage and Ferra (though I guess Ferra technically only a half female character?? not sure how you split that).

Now that you said Frost I am ready to put money on her being in the game.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bargainben said:

But I suppose they did already add new girls Cassie Cage and Ferra (though I guess Ferra technically only a half female character?? not sure how you split that).

Don't forget Dvorah!

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By GERALTITUDE

@shagge: ahhhh yes! knew I missed one.

conker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dvorah looks rad!

Also, I'm hoping Sub Zero moves a *little* bit faster overall this game

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

there's no way Smoke isnt going to be in this game, especially after they went the distance and made him stand out among the ninjas.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Corevi
    @conker said:

Also, I'm hoping Sub Zero moves a *little* bit faster overall this game

I'm sure at least one of his styles will be normal speed.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Well given this game is set in the future right? Maybe there will be a Smoke Jr.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Corevi
    @slag said:

Well given this game is set in the future right? Maybe there will be a Smoke Jr.

Yes, but Kitana still looks like she's in her 20s so there is probably time travel shenanigans.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Wherefore art thou, Smoke?" translates to modern English as "Why are you, Smoke?"

Location is not the issue.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ThunderSlash

@corevi said:
    @slag said:

Yes, but Kitana still looks like she's in her 20s so there is probably time travel shenanigans.

Isn't Kitana hella old already? What's another couple hundred years? Anime logic.

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I demand Johnny Cage be playable.

xerseslives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was waiting for Mileena and they announced Kitana. Feel like I'm being trolled.

ShapeOfDespair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm also waiting for Mileena. I'm happy to see Kung Lao, though.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Wherefore art thou, Smoke?" translates to modern English as "Why are you, Smoke?"

Location is not the issue.

You got your Shakespeare in my Mortal Kombat! Shaketality!

I'm a super casual fan when it comes to Mortal Kombat, so usually the guys I pick as my mains are always set in stone as being in the game, Scorpion, Sub Zero, Liu Kang.

Avatar image for insane_shadowblade85
    insane_shadowblade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Taking a smoke break, obviously. Yeah, that's right, I did it!

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#26  Edited By DarthOrange

Johnny Cage is my main and I almost exclusively played him in 9 with a little bit of Striker every once in a while. I will be hugely bummed if those two don't return.

That said, I am waiting for the "Komplete Edition" that will probably be out next year. Warner seems to do that with all their releases now.

conker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By conker

I'm also waiting for Mileena. I'm happy to see Kung Lao, though.

I'm amazed that Kung Lao got an announcement before Liu Kang did (this is assuming that Liu Kang will be in this one)

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Smoke and Stryker for me. I'd love to see Kabal, Nightwolf and Cyber Sub Zero as well.

I'm going to go replay MK9 now. Damn that story mode was SO GOOD!

conker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Smoke and Stryker for me. I'd love to see Kabal, Nightwolf and Cyber Sub Zero as well.

I'm going to go replay MK9 now. Damn that story mode was SO GOOD!

Oh man, I JUST remembered that cyborg sub zero was a thing. BRING HIM BACK!

alexl86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#30  Edited By alexl86

Yeah, Smoke was definitely one of my favorites in MK9, so I'd like to see him back.

As for Skarlet, she's a joke, and I mean that literally. She was supposedly a super secret palette-swap of Kitana in MK2, like Ermac in MK. Except, as far as I can tell anyway, there was no way to get a red Kitana in the base game. If the roster in MKX is huge, she has a decent chance of making it, but I think it'll probably be smaller than MK9's.

I've been a Scorpion fan since my first encounter with Mortal Kombat(specifically UMK3 for SNES) and compulsively clear the ladder with him first, first time I play a new game. Only problem with Scorpion is his renown, as pretty much everyone knows all his moves. I also played a lot of Smoke in MK9, because he's kinda tricky, and Ermac because he's a kombo-monster.

KevinWalsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My main was Johnny Cage and Kung Lao a very close second. I was lucky Johnny was in the demo so I got to spend a lot of time getting good with him before the game was released. I don't know if he'll come back but Cassie Cage seems to have some of his style so I'll def. check her out. Kung Lao coming back is pretty cool too.

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
    Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Do_The_Manta_Ray

@conker: Cyborg Sub Zero was one of my mains in MK 9. Deceptively great character. The issue with him was that he didn't have a lot of effective high damage combos (also shit fatalities), but once you played around with the timing; you realized he had a couple of really sneaky ones with genuinely unfair openings. One being literally low-hit into overhead like Smoke's, and you could get a good 33 % damage with that if you knew what you were doing. Also that charged downwards kick that people never managed to block right was fantastic.

Smoke was another one of my mains. (I had a good seven or so.. I played a LOT of that game, and I hate folks who just learn a single character and replay 'em over and over. Just boring to play against for an extended duration.) He was probably my best character, but boooy, I felt kinda' filthy for using him. It was so easy to pull off 40 % combos with him. And all that zipping around, the mobility. I would name him a god-tier character if only Ermac and Liu Kang weren't in the game.

Scorpion was another main, because fucking of course he was. Always been my very favourite character, I just couldn't bring myself to use him too often as so many people played him online. Got boring seeing him for the 10th game in a row. But if he ain't alive in the canon, I will get upset in a way I'd rather not admit to.

Sub-Zero was one of my best, and he's in the game, thank god. Only problem with him in MK9 was how bad he was against zoning characters. I think one of the "versions" of him will address that problem in MKX, though.

Cyrax hasn't been announced yet, but I think he's very likely to make an appearance, so I ain't worried. I just hope they remove that stupid 56 % combo he had.

Noob-Saibot is nowhere to be seen and that's really worrying me. He might actually get excluded, which would be a big shame. I think he had the best fatalities/x-rays in that entire game. I also loved playing him. Just such a different play-style from any other. And he was a black ninja, beat that.

Kenshi's a favourite of mine that I thought they'd be very unlikely to include in MKX, but based on his importance in the MK X comic, I think he might just end up in the roster.

So, overall. Two of my favourites so far have been included, and I assume another two will be included in the final game. One I'm cautiously optimistic about. And as for the final duo.. I really doubt their inclusion, and that's going to be hard to deal with. But then again, I'll have three versions of Scorpion and Sub-Zero.. I might just be fine after all.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want ALL the ninjas back!

Don't get stingy on us Boon!!!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.