Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mortal Kombat

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Apr 19, 2011

One of the goriest fighting game franchises returns to its roots, introducing a new story that re-tells the events of the first three Mortal Kombat games (with a unique twist).

$10,000 Mortal Kombat match (PDP Grand Final)

MisterBronze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By MisterBronze
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4skmqWBagp8

This is the first big money match for Mortal Kombat that I know of. Interesting to see Justin Wong make the transition from Capcom fighters to MK.

Just curious - does anyone know what platform this tournament was played on? PS3 or 360? 
    Cabbage_TheMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Cabbage_TheMan
    @MisterBronze: It was on 360.  A lot of fun to watch live.
    animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By animateria

I only got to watch the preliminary rounds, which had a lot of terrible matches.

I should check that out after work. Should be more entertaining.
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By ajamafalous
    @Cabbage_TheMan said:
    Wait, are you sure? I was almost positive that when PerfectLegend went to play the 5th/6th place tiebreaker with the other guy (Trophy-something), when he tried to use a pad instead of a stick and they wouldn't let him, it was a DualShock 3 and not a 360 controller.
    D_W

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 21

#5  Edited By D_W

It's kind of annoying that LI Joe didn't beat Floe in the match before this. He pretty much slipped up and lost it. I really think he was probably the only person at that tournament that could have beaten Justin Wong.

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By mnzy
    @ajamafalous said:

@Cabbage_TheMan said:

Wait, are you sure? I was almost positive that when PerfectLegend went to play the 5th/6th place tiebreaker with the other guy (Trophy-something), when he tried to use a pad instead of a stick and they wouldn't let him, it was a DualShock 3 and not a 360 controller.
    There are converters, no FG-player I've seen uses a 360-pad, but quite a few use Playstation pads.

And that final...well it was a match between two best friends that trained for weeks in this game, could've been more hype. But yea, LIJoe is a very good friend of Justin, too, so I guess chances were high...
    Cabbage_TheMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Cabbage_TheMan
    @IntramanDW said:
    It's kind of annoying that LI Joe didn't beat Floe in the match before this. He pretty much slipped up and lost it. I really think he was probably the only person at that tournament that could have beaten Justin Wong.
    1. The final four was LI Joe vs. Justin Wong and Floe vs. Fubar
    2. Something happened in the middle of Joe and Wong's game and they had to pause (I think the controller broke).  LI Joe then came on the mic and said he was going to GIVE Wong the win.  WTF?  I guess LI Joe just gave up $10,000 because he didn't want to be embarrassed by Justin Wong.
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ajamafalous
    @IntramanDW said:
    Totally agree. I was really upset when he lost to floe in the semi because I felt like he had that match in the bag and he's who I was pulling for. Still, his comeback in the round before that was nothing short of ridiculous.
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ajamafalous
    @Cabbage_TheMan said:
    @IntramanDW said:
    2. Something happened in the middle of Joe and Wong's game and they had to pause (I think the controller broke).  LI Joe then came on the mic and said he was going to GIVE Wong the win.  WTF?  I guess LI Joe just gave up $10,000 because he didn't want to be embarrassed by Justin Wong.
    LI Joe and JWong was the winner's bracket, floe vs fubar was the loser's bracket. floe beat fubar and LI Joe forfeited his match against JWong when Justin's stick broke because he was down 2-0. So then LI Joe got bumped to the loser's bracket and it was floe vs. LI Joe for the spot in the grand final against Justin.
    Cabbage_TheMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Cabbage_TheMan
    @ajamafalous said:
    @Cabbage_TheMan said:
    @IntramanDW said:
    LI Joe and JWong was the winner's bracket, floe vs fubar was the loser's bracket. floe beat fubar and LI Joe forfeited his match against JWong when Justin's stick broke because he was down 2-0. So then LI Joe got bumped to the loser's bracket and it was floe vs. LI Joe for the spot in the grand final against Justin.
    I really wish they would have had a bracket on the screen.  It would have made it a lot easier to follow.
    TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By TheHT

Thank goodness that video ended when it did. That dude's voice reached maximum annoyancy.

Some krazy kombos there. Wong really tore him up in them later rounds.

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Bestostero

I saw this tournament live... it was pretty good, one of the sticks actually malfunctioned during a match between Justin and Joe...lol

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#13  Edited By FLStyle
    @xhavoc86 said:
    I saw this tournament live... it was pretty good, one of the sticks actually malfunctioned during a match between Justin and Joe...lol
    I was more surprised when Joe forfeited, classy guy.
    Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Bestostero
    @FLStyle said:
    @xhavoc86 said:
    I know people say that was classy and very stand up of him to do so, but I felt differently, i thought he gave up (but of course we all know he really just didn't care since he had this agreement to split the money with Justin anyways).... don't get me wrong though, LI Joe is an awesome dude, he was awesome as a temporary announcer lol
    FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#15  Edited By FLStyle
    @xhavoc86 said:
    @FLStyle said:
    @xhavoc86 said:
    I know people say that was classy and very stand up of him to do so, but I felt differently, i thought he gave up (but of course we all know he really just didn't care since he had this agreement to split the money with Justin anyways).... don't get me wrong though, LI Joe is an awesome dude, he was awesome as a temporary announcer lol
    I would've liked to have seen if he would've made a comeback, just have to wait until EVO when the gloves will be truly off.
    Hzaife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By Hzaife

That J Wong is a machine and fighting games man

MisterBronze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By MisterBronze

Thanks for the insight on the platform, folks :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.