Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mortal Kombat

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Apr 19, 2011

One of the goriest fighting game franchises returns to its roots, introducing a new story that re-tells the events of the first three Mortal Kombat games (with a unique twist).

Curious to see MK9 at MLG

ElBarto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Edited By ElBarto

I want to see the skill level of the "MLG" players and hopefully maybe see some of the fighting game community guys there like the guys from TestYourMight.com or Justin Wong, Tom Brady, Floe, LI Joe, and etc. so that I they can be compared to the Fighting Game community players. Should be interesting.

ElBarto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By ElBarto

I want to see the skill level of the "MLG" players and hopefully maybe see some of the fighting game community guys there like the guys from TestYourMight.com or Justin Wong, Tom Brady, Floe, LI Joe, and etc. so that I they can be compared to the Fighting Game community players. Should be interesting.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

Have you been watching the streams of any of the other recent tournaments? I read somewhere that Tom Brady's Sub-Zero--the character he was most comfortable with/proud of--got rocked real dirty-like by an Ermac.

I'm no good at the game itself, but I fucking love watching these guys go balls-out against each other. Seeing these ridiculous combos, seeing they way they are mindful of spacing and possible reactions, it's like a fast-paced chess match. But, you know, with exploding rib cages and shit.

ElBarto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ElBarto

As far as streams go I mostly only watch Fighting Game steams done by the guys at Level | Up Live and TeamSp00ky because they usually get the major tournaments and have good commentators. 
    I watch MLG streams sometimes but usually to catch StarCraft 2 matches and I'll watch some Halo: Reach during the SC2 Intermissions.

Anyway as far as the Tom Brady thing goes at CEO (Community Effort Orlando) he got beat in Grand Finals against LB ChrisG who was playing as Reptile. 
    I'm really egh on how the Reptile player won, not taking away from his skill he is a good player and all but a few things left me feeling a bit salty.

• Tom Brady played a guy named Arturo Sanchez or otherwise known as TS Sabin who was also a Reptile player (not on the same level as Chris G) and beat him pretty solidly. What this led to was Sabin having to play Chris G who also lost to Tom Brady. Sabin decides not to do a mirror match and he chooses Sub-Zero and sort of basically helped get ChrisG prepared on how to take on Sub, even though his Sub wasn't as good as Tom's but anyhow. What sort of erks me about this in retrospect is that Sabin commentates  on the stream as well as being a player, so when he lost to ChrisG he commentated the ChrisG v. Tom Brady matches and came off really biased in favor of Chris - claimed to be due to the fact that ChrisG is a Reptile player but I think he was just being salty about getting owned by Brady. Which also goes back to him maybe playing Sub to help Chris have an edge.
    • ChrisG plays Reptile different from Sabin while Sabin basically mimics Brady's Sub and you can see Chris adapt real fast to this, not taking away from his actual adaptability because he is a good Street Fighter player but it also doesn't help to play your last few matches against a character that your next opponent mains.
    • ChrisG resets the set and basically bodies Brady which is unusual, but when he even the set he went away from his zoning game and pretty much went rush heavy and so he would get a knock down and then just dash spam over Brady's character as they were waiting to stand back up and basically he made it unsafe to do any sort of wake-ups and or standing up and blocking because he would just grab him (and teching the grab, or at least for me, in this game isn't all that easy)
    • Tom Brady switches to Noob Saibot and basically gets owned again and then he switches to Kung Lao and when he switches to Kung Lao he starts to sort of redeem himself but at match point for ChrisG I noticed something weird basically Chris does an jump punch but Brady does the spin move with KL and it should've hit Reptile but instead the punch goes through the spin and kills Brady.
    But anyway it was a good tournament Brady can't win em all and ChrisG is a good player. 
    Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@ElBarto: Slightly unrelated note: I hope you watch the stuff Brady and his pal, S1LENT (who I'm not real familiar with), do every Sunday night. Here's the link if you need to catch the backlog. They generally run through some questions and then break down the characters individually. Like, three an episode.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#5  Edited By FLStyle

@ElBarto: Do you have a problem with Arturo? You seem to be speaking about him very negatively.

ElBarto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ElBarto
    @FLStyle said:

@ElBarto: Do you have a problem with Arturo? You seem to be speaking about him very negatively.

It's not that I have a problem with Art in general, he's usually a cool dude from what I can tell from streams and stuff on top of him being a good MK and SF (much to his displeasure at the moment) player but he was sort of being a little salty if you ask me and if you were a first time viewer you'd probably get a bad impression of the man, he just kind of came off wrong when commentating that match. 
    ElBarto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ElBarto
    @Sir_Ragnarok: I haven't checked out TB and Silents show I should get around to it but Tom Brady actually is doing something with Gootecks from CrossCounterTV that's basically an all you need to know type thing like the Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 DVD they made with Viscant. (Marvel 1.0)
    groin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By groin

@ElBarto: Arturo does not like mirror matches in Street Fighter either. He will always switch to Rose whenever he plays against a Dhalsim. Many competitive players do not like mirror matches. He's also good friends with ChrisG and they both live in NY so it's not surprising that he showed some bias.

ElBarto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ElBarto
    @groin said:

@ElBarto: Arturo does not like mirror matches in Street Fighter either. He will always switch to Rose whenever he plays against a Dhalsim. Many competitive players do not like mirror matches. He's also good friends with ChrisG and they both live in NY so it's not surprising that he showed some bias.

I know this but what I'm saying is if you don't know art, or you don't know anything about him and it was your first time watching a TS Stream and you hear the way he's talking he comes off kind of bad. Like I said I got nothing against Art but that moment was a little spotty for my taste.
    FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#10  Edited By FLStyle

@ElBarto: That's saltyness for you I guess.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By Ares42
    @ElBarto: Think you're reading a tad too much into it :P What you described could just as easily be explained by Arturo doubting he'd win in a mirror and having just recently seen ChrisG getting beat by Brady's Sub he tried to imitate that for a better chance at taking the match.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.