Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Natural Selection II

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Oct 31, 2012

Natural Selection 2 is a multiplayer game that blends first-person shooter with real-time strategy gameplay. The story is set a few years after the original Natural Selection and is currently under development from Unknown Worlds Entertainment.

Anyone playing this? (Retail)

Hewitt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Hewitt

Hey guys, just bought the game today and thought I'd ask if anyone is playing the retail version (all I could find was posts about people playing the beta).

So anyone fancy accomadating a total noob to NS? Or any fellow bomber NS noobs that wanna get a game on and see what we can break? My steam ID is Hewitt212. Add me up.

gloomytangent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By gloomytangent

@Hewitt: One of my friends gifted it to me as the devs gave him an extra copy.

It runs like complete buttered and fried ass. Ridiculous ping spikes constantly. I honestly don't know if I have any incentive to continue.

Avatar image for deactivated-5dac8b1b10957
    deactivated-5dac8b1b10957

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

Sorry about your poor luck. Game runs like a dream for me without any lag at all. Games are frequently populated and the game is a blast.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By jozzy

I bought it yesterday. I am a total rookie as well but I love it! Forcing myself to play more on the aliens side, and slowly getting a little better at it. This game has quite a bit of a learning curve, especially playing as the little facehugger guys (Skulks?). Running up walls and jumping down on unsuspecting marines is a ton of fun.

I had to put the settings relative low to run smoothly on my laptop, but now it seems to run extremely well. Only technical issue I had was that I had to set the executable on compatibility mode (XP SP3) or it wouldn't run, but I have that with quite a few games.

gloomytangent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By gloomytangent

The technical issue that I'm having is massive frame rate drops to sub-1 FPS according to the console. There seems to be a correlation with latency, as every once in a while when my picture gets going again I'll be something like 5 feet away. This doesn't happen at all when I'm on a listen server, so I think maybe their netcode is complete garbage.

Avatar image for deactivated-5dac8b1b10957
    deactivated-5dac8b1b10957

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

The FPS was tied to server performance several builds back (while it was still in Beta) and they did away with that correlation. Their netcode seems to be pretty alright, but maybe there's something up with their dedicated servers. After all, most of the official servers did crash on release day. Have you forwarded your information to UWE? They're pretty damn good about taking performance issues and sorting out the problems (especially lately). Send your info to Hugh (Strayan) on their forums or e-mail or something.

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By Jackel2072

The game is pretty awesome and I love it! My only issues with it so far has been the lag in the beginning (which I understand their servers crashed due to high. Demand) but it seems to be running a little smoother each day. I really hope this game does well for them. I hope people don't ignore it because it really is a Unique experience that is also a blast to play. It's the Star Craft of first person shooters!

Hewitt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Hewitt

Ok so I played for around an hour last night, offline and online, and the performance seems to be a bit of an issue. Mostly it runs smoothly but every now and then it hitches for up to maybe 5 seconds, but as movement is still registered i found myself getting lost quite a bit lol.

As a long-time ArmA 2 player, a bit of bad performance will not deter me! The devs seem pretty good about addressing issues and releasing updates so I'm sure it's just a matter of time. I'm gonna have another blast tonight, see if I can't get to grips with the gameplay a bit more.

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By Jackel2072

@Hewitt I also get lost quite a bit. Even with the mini map I still need to stop and go, where is pipe line? Also on the performance issue side I too had hitching in the beginning, but then I turned off texture streaming and multicore rendering and that fixed my issue. I'm sure you played around with the settings but in the chance you haven't try that screwing around with that stuff. Bumping some of the settings down also fixed my lag issues.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By Driadon

@Jackel2072 said:

@Hewitt I also get lost quite a bit. Even with the mini map I still need to stop and go, where is pipe line? Also on the performance issue side I too had hitching in the beginning, but then I turned off texture streaming and multicore rendering and that fixed my issue. I'm sure you played around with the settings but in the chance you haven't try that screwing around with that stuff. Bumping some of the settings down also fixed my lag issues.

A lot of the map confusion is because the maps for this kind of game are quite complex, with the ventilation systems, and the like.

Anyway, if you want someone to play with, shoot me a friend request. While I haven't played a whole lot yet, I plan to play a lot more when I get a bit more time.

jayjonesjunior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jayjonesjunior

I want to play it really bad, but my upgrade is not yet done.

Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Akrid

It's so good! Deserves a lot more then it's getting at the moment I think. I mean, not only is it a fantastically designed game, it comes with the full source code and fantastic mod support. People should be buying it if only to give props to such a good business practice.

KommanderCevin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By KommanderCevin

Started playing a few days ago and totally hooked. The default graphics settings were giving my pc a run for its money but hacking down a few of the flashier effects got me right up to a steady 40 fps. No connection issues yet with it either, which is saying something as my internet connection is generally not so hot.

Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Akrid

We're playing this on our Hub dealy in 1hr 30min! Get on our chat/mumble/steam group to join in then.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.