Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Neo Geo

Platform »

The Neo Geo was a console released by SNK in 1990, featuring a 16/32-bit 68000 CPU with an additional 8-bit Z80 CPU and custom 24-bit GPU chipset. An arcade-based console considerably powerful for a home system at the time, the Neo Geo was notoriously expensive (costing $650 at launch) and aggressively marketed as an Advanced Entertainment System (AES).

Neo Geo X gold preorder.

Funzzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Funzzo

So when I saw that the Neo Geo X hand held was in fact real and not a hoax. I went to the internet to see where and when I could get my hands on one. I saw Gamestop was taking preorders for it and I thought there is a gamestop right by my house. How easy it will be for me to go in and preorder it and then when it comes out I can just go pick it up. Well it turns out that it was not so easy.

Weeks ago when I walked into my local gamestop and said to the cashier " I would like to preorder the neo geo x gold limited edition please" he looked at me like he had no idea what I had just said. I told him what it was and that it is listed on the gamestop website so I know its a real product. It took the guy like 20 minuets and I'm not kidding 20 minuets to find it in his system and he kept asking me if i wanted to handheld only one that comes out next year. I kept telling him no I want the 200.00 limited edition that comes out at the time Dec.6th. After much digging through his system the dude finds it and I get my preorder in. Dec. 6th comes and goes and no neo geo. They tell me it's been pushed back to Dec. 18th and i'm like ok fine. So I figured if it came out on the 18th then they wont have it in until maybe the 20th because of shipping. So I call to check on my order and the cashier has no clue what i'm talking about. He then tells me it's been pushed back to april 17th and then he says "that's for the PS3 right?"

As of now I know the Neo Geo x gold is out I have seen recent unboxing videos on you tube so I know its out. The people at gamestop have no clue when mine will be in or what it is. I'm starting to get frustrated with gamestop.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Ravenlight
    Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Karl_Boss

Lol, Gamestop

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By chaser324  Moderator  Online

Apparently this is a case of a "limited edition" that actually is fairly limited. There are reports abound of it being in very low supply and sold out in most retailers. I imagine most GameStops, especially those in smaller markets, probably won't receive any units at all.

If you really want one, you might end up having to resort to eBay or Amazon, where prices are approaching the $300+ range in some places.

Amukasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Amukasa

I received one on the 20th from Amazon! Now I just want to see what other games are coming out.

Coafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Coafi

Apparently, Gamestop is not getting this in store but you can order it thru their page. They are only getting the one the guy told you comes out in April.

Funzzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Funzzo

@Ravenlight said:

Don't bother with Gamestop anymore. Amazon has you covered.

Why is the price jacked up? It should be 199.99

Funzzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Funzzo

@Coafi said:

Apparently, Gamestop is not getting this in store but you can order it thru their page. They are only getting the one the guy told you comes out in April.

Where did u get this info?

stubadubb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By stubadubb

@Funzzo: Because it's out of stock on Amazon, you're seeing prices from one of their fulfillment partners.

I went ahead and picked one up. Arrived a few days ago. I'm pretty damn pleased with the thing. Handheld screen is decent, controls are great, and I love using the docking station and HDMI to play with a very authentic feeling joystick on my TV. There are a lot of shortcomings like no game saves (can't see myself making it to the end of Magician Lord without them), no high score saves, etc, but I have a feeling there will be ways to fix that pretty quickly.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MikkaQ

Wait does it come with an actual Neo Geo AES or something? Cause man I'd buy one if so.

Funzzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Funzzo

Mine came in. I love the handheld but the docking station is a bit of a let down.

@MikkaQ said:

Wait does it come with an actual Neo Geo AES or something? Cause man I'd buy one if so.

I wish. It comes with a docking station that looks like an AES.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.