Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

New Super Mario Bros. U

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Nov 18, 2012

Mario, Luigi and the rest of the cast return for their HD debut in New Super Mario Bros. U with support for five players in boost mode, a Super Mario World-style world map with secret shortcuts and hidden levels, a brand new challenge mode and Miiverse integration.

Impression: Not 'just more of the same"

haha_dead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By haha_dead

They nailed it. 4 games in, yeah you'd have to say that at this point, Nintendo has beaten 'new' old 2D throwback Mario into the ground...and now that I heard the guys talk about the wah-wahs on the Bombcast, I can't -not- fixate on how annoying it is - thanks for that ;).... but this isn't just a cash-in. The only thing that's a little bit tired is the aesthetic. Game-wise, I see evolution. Level design is great. Worlds are highly replayable. Love the new suits. Love the return of the ridiculous baby Yoshi. There's easily 59 dollars worth of game here. If you don't enjoy this game, it's just because you're no longer, or never were a platformer guy.

Not loving the wah-wahs, or the fact there's so much recycled music. Also not loving the implementation of the Gamepad screen (it just mirrors what's on the TV) but loving everything else.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By csl316

Level design is key, and if the secrets and whatnot approach Mario World levels I'm on board.

But the art design and same tunes for the past 4 games has to fucking DIE.

Edit: This got bumped a year later, and I apologize for the language. I was really mad for a second there!

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

What if... Mario shaves?

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By thatfrood

@I_Stay_Puft said:

What if... Mario shaves?

What if... now stay with me here... what if Mario has a gun?

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By me3639

Nintendo are the best modders in the buiness, but why wont they have Mario go right to left for a change?

Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@ThatFrood said:

@I_Stay_Puft said:

What if... Mario shaves?

Mustache gun.

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By thatfrood

@me3639 said:

Nintendo are the best modders in the buiness, but why wont they have Mario go right to left for a change?

I played an inverted 1-1 before, where you went right to left, and I'm not joking when I say I actually began to feel physically ill as I progressed through the level.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By august

@ThatFrood said:

@I_Stay_Puft said:

What if... Mario shaves?

He's always had a gun, Mushroom Kingdom is conceal carry.

Scullinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This game is hard and so much fun. Yes co-op can be agrivating at times especially when you just want to run through a level, but its the best way to play imo.

mrpandaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

If you don't enjoy this game, it's just because you're no longer, or never were a platformer guy.

But what if I like Rayman: Legends and I don't like NSMBU... what does that mean?

@august said:

@ThatFrood said:

@I_Stay_Puft said:

What if... Mario shaves?

He's always had a gun, Mushroom Kingdom is conceal carry.

Is it under his hat?

edsone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@mrpandaman said:

@haha_dead said:

If you don't enjoy this game, it's just because you're no longer, or never were a platformer guy.

But what if I like Rayman: Legends and I don't like NSMBU... what does that mean?

Is it under his hat?

Means you like Rayman: Legends. Doesn't necessarily mean you're a "platformer guy" much in the same one a person who plays fighting games might not be be a "fighter guy". I don't care though :p Just joking. The OP does have a point though. Most platformer guys will like NSMB U.

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

#12  Edited By MormonWarrior

I'm most definitely a "platformer guy" and I thought NSMB Wii and NSMB 2 were complete piles of flaming garbage. I'd maybe give this game a shot if I got it super cheap and needed to play something on my future Wii U, but I'm not terribly hopeful.

Platformer credentials: Super Meat Boy, Mega Man & Mega Man X, Super Mario Bros 1-3 and SM World, Super Mario 64, Sunshine, Galaxy 1 and 2, and 3D Land, Rayman Origins & Legends, Banjo-Kazooie...I could go on but I really love a good platformer. It's my favorite genre! Other than the original New Super Mario Bros. on the DS, I think they've all been lazy bullcrap though. I'm sad it's even a series...could've been so much more than it is.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.