Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

New Super Mario Bros. Wii

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 12, 2009

The first 2D Mario platformer for a home console in over 15 years. Though it has single-player, it focuses heavily on cooperative multiplayer, allowing up to 4 players to play simultaneously. This game also premiered Nintendo's Super Guide hint system.

My thoughts on New Super Mario Bros. Wii

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

Edited By JJOR64

No Caption Provided

Well, I have just 100% NSMBW and I thought I would share my thoughts on the game.  I could do a user review but, I'm to lazy. to write a well thought out review.  :P  Instead of a written review here are some bullet points for what I liked about the game and what I didn't like.

What I liked:
    • A new Mario platformer on the Wii.
    • Has a simple, clean, and colorful look to the game which is nice.
    • Looks awesome at 60 fps.
    • Tons of great new levels
    • Kooopalings are back.
    • Epic final boss battle.
    • While some of the music is old and some new, it still sounds very good.
    • Classic sound effects.
    • The super guide feature for new players.  I never had the block appear for me, but it's great for new players.
    • Sexy red case.
    • Yoshi is back.

What I didn't like:
    • Way to short.  Any pro Mario player could be this in a day or two.  The DS version was longer then this one.
    • All the boss battles were to easy.  Three hits and they were dead except for the final boss which was a little different.
    • No classic controller support.  Really?
    • Nunchuck support.  While some people may like it, I thought it felt very strange while playing the game with it.  Stick with the Wii Remote and d-pad.
    • The motion control stuff wasn't needed.  I thought it was more frustrating using it then I thought it was going to be.  Example: In  7-Fortress there is a moving platform going up and you control the platform with the Wii Remote.  While you are doing that, you still have to move Mario with the d-pad.  I thought it was annoying to multitask while moving the Wii Remote and trying to move Mario at the same time so I wouldn't die.  I was more focused at moving the platform and watching the enemies when I should have just been moving Mario around and jumping on dudes so kill myself for some stupid reason.
    • Not as difficult as people said it was.  There were a few tough levels but, I thought it was a cake walk.
    • It think it's fact that no one likes Bowser Jr. at all.  It's really weird to see him with the Koopalings.
    • Yoshi isn't used very much.  Only like 5 levels or so.

For a new 2D Mario game to hit the Wii is great but, there were some problems.  I'm not really sure if this should have cost $50.  What I was thinking was 'What if this was a Wiiware game?"  If this game was like a 2000 point (or cheaper) Wiiware game, it would easily be the best game on Wiiware.  Maybe this game is just to big to fit onto the Wiiware service.  Who knows.  As a Mario nut job, I still bought the game and enjoyed it a lot.  I still haven't checked out the multiplayer yet and I would still love to.  Maybe I will be able to check it out during thanksgiving next week.  Now to show off what happens when you beat the game with 100%.

When you get 100% in the game, the game says "You have completed everything in New Super Mario Bros. Wii" and on your save game it will show 5 stars.

Thanks for checking out this blog and hope you liked it.  For those of you who bought the game, what do/did you think about it?
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By JJOR64

No Caption Provided

Well, I have just 100% NSMBW and I thought I would share my thoughts on the game.  I could do a user review but, I'm to lazy. to write a well thought out review.  :P  Instead of a written review here are some bullet points for what I liked about the game and what I didn't like.

What I liked:
    • A new Mario platformer on the Wii.
    • Has a simple, clean, and colorful look to the game which is nice.
    • Looks awesome at 60 fps.
    • Tons of great new levels
    • Kooopalings are back.
    • Epic final boss battle.
    • While some of the music is old and some new, it still sounds very good.
    • Classic sound effects.
    • The super guide feature for new players.  I never had the block appear for me, but it's great for new players.
    • Sexy red case.
    • Yoshi is back.

What I didn't like:
    • Way to short.  Any pro Mario player could be this in a day or two.  The DS version was longer then this one.
    • All the boss battles were to easy.  Three hits and they were dead except for the final boss which was a little different.
    • No classic controller support.  Really?
    • Nunchuck support.  While some people may like it, I thought it felt very strange while playing the game with it.  Stick with the Wii Remote and d-pad.
    • The motion control stuff wasn't needed.  I thought it was more frustrating using it then I thought it was going to be.  Example: In  7-Fortress there is a moving platform going up and you control the platform with the Wii Remote.  While you are doing that, you still have to move Mario with the d-pad.  I thought it was annoying to multitask while moving the Wii Remote and trying to move Mario at the same time so I wouldn't die.  I was more focused at moving the platform and watching the enemies when I should have just been moving Mario around and jumping on dudes so kill myself for some stupid reason.
    • Not as difficult as people said it was.  There were a few tough levels but, I thought it was a cake walk.
    • It think it's fact that no one likes Bowser Jr. at all.  It's really weird to see him with the Koopalings.
    • Yoshi isn't used very much.  Only like 5 levels or so.

For a new 2D Mario game to hit the Wii is great but, there were some problems.  I'm not really sure if this should have cost $50.  What I was thinking was 'What if this was a Wiiware game?"  If this game was like a 2000 point (or cheaper) Wiiware game, it would easily be the best game on Wiiware.  Maybe this game is just to big to fit onto the Wiiware service.  Who knows.  As a Mario nut job, I still bought the game and enjoyed it a lot.  I still haven't checked out the multiplayer yet and I would still love to.  Maybe I will be able to check it out during thanksgiving next week.  Now to show off what happens when you beat the game with 100%.

When you get 100% in the game, the game says "You have completed everything in New Super Mario Bros. Wii" and on your save game it will show 5 stars.

Thanks for checking out this blog and hope you liked it.  For those of you who bought the game, what do/did you think about it?
    Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Dalai

You make some good points, but I'm wondering why the lack of Classic Controller support is a big deal.  The sideways Wiimote seems to be ideal. 

I absolutely love the game, but I've been waiting most of my life for a new 2D Mario on a console so I'm gonna be quite giddy.

MrKart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By MrKart

The Classic Controller support is a bit... unnacceptable, IMO. If they can do it for Brawl, why can't they do it here, a platformer that almost demands it. I guess because of the required motion sections? I'd have rather had those cut and have classic controller support, turning the Wiimote on its side is always awkward for me in any game.
    Metric_Outlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By Metric_Outlaw

I remember I beat the DS New Super Mario Bros in like 3 or 4 days. If this one is shorter than that I may just wait for the price to drop or wait until Christmas.

Famov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By Famov

Mario guys like us were bound to think it was easy. 2D platforming is a skill we've built over the years and it ensures that while some people might find the game difficult, we were going to finish it in a few days no matter what. Even the boss battles, though they were easy, were extremely fun due to how wacky most of them eventually became (who didn't love the fight with Iggy?) 

And if Bowser jr. could ever reach respectability, he came as close as possible here.

As for the length, it's hard for it to be any longer. I mean, Mario World always boasted its 96 exits and I can (and have) gotten all of those on a whim in a few hours of boredom. Not the first time of course, but after you've mastered the type of game Mario is you'll always be able to do this.  

The last of my disagreements, and the most important one, is that this should've been less than 50 bucks. There's an odd consensus that 2D platformers and adventure games need to be budget titles (I'm not saying you prescribe to this belief), and I vehemently disagree with it. 2D games like this are for people who still have reservations that all of his favorite games ever made the jump to 3D, and one of my favorite things about Nintendo is that they occasionally pander to the sidescrolling fan in me. There are efficiencies in games like this that cannot be replicated in the third dimension, and to relegate them to Wiiware is far too ignominious for games as good as NSMB Wii is (to me anyway).

I do believe that Yoshi was underutilized and I also think that shell powerups would've been too easy to have to excuse their absence. And to be honest, while I liked a lot of the music, I really am not into the main theme. I didn't like it in the DS game and I do not like it here.  

I'm glad you have a positive opinion on the game overall though, and I strongly suggest that you get people to play multiplayer with. It's great fun.
    beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#6  Edited By beargirl1

quick and to-the-point blog. good read. i <3 that red case, but no classic controller support is just... wtf 

Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Mushir

They couldn't have the Classic Controller cause of the levels that require motion controls.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JJOR64
    @Twilight: True but, they could have just been button presses.  They could have used L, R, ZL, ZR, X, or Y if they wanted to.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By Linkyshinks

I've only just got my copy along with AC2 and Muramasa. I have an evening with friends planned.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10  Edited By Jeffsekai

Good blog, now u have more time for Street Fighter 4

JonathanMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By JonathanMoore

Wouldn't the Classic Controller completely rule out the motion controls in the game? it wouldn't make sense...

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By TheHBK

classic controller not supported because of the motion controls.
    Also, bowser Jr does suck ass.
    And finally, my biggest gripe, I dont know how long Nintendo has done this but there is this little sound they use now, this horn kind of sound that they try to make it seem 8-bit that annoys the hell out of me and seems like Nintendo was trying too hard to make new sounds. But that damn sound is in every fucking song i think, a main reason i wont get this game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.