Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

New Xbox Experience

Concept »

The New Xbox Experience, or NXE, overhauled the Xbox 360's dashboard, released on November 19th, 2008. A new "Metro" dashboard was released on December 6th, 2011.

NXE: I Has It And I'm Gun Talk About It

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Edited By Systech

To my surprise, I was invited on Friday to check out the... ugh... I hate saying it--New Xbox Experience. This is in fact, the largest dashboard update since the release of the console and it is a little reminiscent of the Windows Media Center program. But really, everyone just wants to know if it's good or not, and guess what? It's good.

Guide Button

The time it takes to open and the guide bar/blade thingy has been decreased and it is much easier to manage things. This was a much thanked improvement to me, because I am constantly using the guide button to send invites and manage messages and friend requests. Not only is the guide button faster; it is also more convenient to jump from arcade game to dashboard to video and to the game in the disc tray with the handy 'Quick Launch' button. You can access just about anything from the Guide Button and it's a snap to use, and don't worry, none of the features from the orginal guide have been sacrificed in the making of this new one.

Main Dashboard Interface

Next off, the interface. It's what you would expect if you've ever used Windows Media Center, but I doubt you have. There are several different rows of categories replaced by the blades in the dashboard including Game Marketplace, Video Marketplace, Friends, Spotlight and Inside Xbox, both which show unnecessary information that you probably don't care about, and last but not least, the "My Xbox" section. This area shows you the current game in the tray, a preview of your Gamercard with your avatar, a list of recently played games, your music, video, and picture libraries and system settings. All of your themes that you regretfully will thankfully work with the new dashboard.

Marketplace

The Live Marketplace has been screaming for an interface-lift (see what I did there?) for a long time and at last, it is here. When looking for what you want rather than scrolling through the tons of game listings, you can browse by alphabet making the search for Drillbit Taylor Gamer Pictures and that old Arcade game that you missed out on a snap and if you want to find a good section to find music game DLC, you got one. More than just a clean-up for the entire store, they have finally added a center to find community games made by their XNE program (Game Creators Club, not to be confused with NXE) users and most or all of the games run at/under 400 points. This could end up being a pretty neat service if Microsoft pays attention and lets people know that it actually exists.

Nothing has really changed specifically to the Video Marketplace, but if you have a Netflix account, you can watch a bunch of non-Live specific content via streaming. The amount of viewable movies and TV shows is still growing and if this gets really popular, that would be awesome.

I'm sure that you can imagine how they work. Really, they aren't that special.

Game Installations

If you have a hard drive that is between 60-120GB, you can feel justified by installing your huge games to it. You would think that the big advantage to this is smaller load times, but there is not much difference except a few more seconds not waiting. The big deal here is that your 360 will be quiet as hell. I highly suggest installing a game like Dead Space, Condemned, or anything that is supposed to be erie so the quiet atmosphere can be truly realized. The only game that I recall where load times become longer is Halo 3, which is kind of weird.

Parties (Party Chat)

To be honest, I haven't used this feature yet because there are only a couple people out of about seventy on my friends list that have the update so far.

Review

Unnessacary, but I'm doing it anyway.

Score

Atmosphere: 4
    Speed: 5
    Convenience: 4.5
    Overall: 4.5

Pros & Cons

+Going from game to dashboard is a breeze
    +Super-fast Guide button
    +You can make Avatars burp!
    +Game Installs make stuff quiet
    -Advertisements galore
    -No 1 vs. 100 yet. (lol, I kid)
    Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Systech

To my surprise, I was invited on Friday to check out the... ugh... I hate saying it--New Xbox Experience. This is in fact, the largest dashboard update since the release of the console and it is a little reminiscent of the Windows Media Center program. But really, everyone just wants to know if it's good or not, and guess what? It's good.

Guide Button

The time it takes to open and the guide bar/blade thingy has been decreased and it is much easier to manage things. This was a much thanked improvement to me, because I am constantly using the guide button to send invites and manage messages and friend requests. Not only is the guide button faster; it is also more convenient to jump from arcade game to dashboard to video and to the game in the disc tray with the handy 'Quick Launch' button. You can access just about anything from the Guide Button and it's a snap to use, and don't worry, none of the features from the orginal guide have been sacrificed in the making of this new one.

Main Dashboard Interface

Next off, the interface. It's what you would expect if you've ever used Windows Media Center, but I doubt you have. There are several different rows of categories replaced by the blades in the dashboard including Game Marketplace, Video Marketplace, Friends, Spotlight and Inside Xbox, both which show unnecessary information that you probably don't care about, and last but not least, the "My Xbox" section. This area shows you the current game in the tray, a preview of your Gamercard with your avatar, a list of recently played games, your music, video, and picture libraries and system settings. All of your themes that you regretfully will thankfully work with the new dashboard.

Marketplace

The Live Marketplace has been screaming for an interface-lift (see what I did there?) for a long time and at last, it is here. When looking for what you want rather than scrolling through the tons of game listings, you can browse by alphabet making the search for Drillbit Taylor Gamer Pictures and that old Arcade game that you missed out on a snap and if you want to find a good section to find music game DLC, you got one. More than just a clean-up for the entire store, they have finally added a center to find community games made by their XNE program (Game Creators Club, not to be confused with NXE) users and most or all of the games run at/under 400 points. This could end up being a pretty neat service if Microsoft pays attention and lets people know that it actually exists.

Nothing has really changed specifically to the Video Marketplace, but if you have a Netflix account, you can watch a bunch of non-Live specific content via streaming. The amount of viewable movies and TV shows is still growing and if this gets really popular, that would be awesome.

I'm sure that you can imagine how they work. Really, they aren't that special.

Game Installations

If you have a hard drive that is between 60-120GB, you can feel justified by installing your huge games to it. You would think that the big advantage to this is smaller load times, but there is not much difference except a few more seconds not waiting. The big deal here is that your 360 will be quiet as hell. I highly suggest installing a game like Dead Space, Condemned, or anything that is supposed to be erie so the quiet atmosphere can be truly realized. The only game that I recall where load times become longer is Halo 3, which is kind of weird.

Parties (Party Chat)

To be honest, I haven't used this feature yet because there are only a couple people out of about seventy on my friends list that have the update so far.

Review

Unnessacary, but I'm doing it anyway.

Score

Atmosphere: 4
    Speed: 5
    Convenience: 4.5
    Overall: 4.5

Pros & Cons

+Going from game to dashboard is a breeze
    +Super-fast Guide button
    +You can make Avatars burp!
    +Game Installs make stuff quiet
    -Advertisements galore
    -No 1 vs. 100 yet. (lol, I kid)
    Pleasureizmine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Pleasureizmine

THREAD HIJACK

PANCAKES OR WAFFLES?

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By crunchUK

well bungie said in a thread that halo 3 already used the hard drive to it's maximum efficiency without installing...

also i can't wait, the best part is that A) it's free (well i pay for live but live pwns :P) and B) i got a really cheap hard drive because of it
    i think the best feature will be the cross party system... just seems INSANELY neat

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By crunchUK

well bungie said in a thread that halo 3 already used the hard drive to it's maximum efficiency without installing...

also i can't wait, the best part is that A) it's free (well i pay for live but live pwns :P) and B) i got a really cheap hard drive because of it
    i think the best feature will be the cross party system... just seems INSANELY neat

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By pause422

I'd be just as happy without this update, I could care a less if it were to never happen.

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Systech
    Pleasureizmine said:
    "THREAD HIJACK

PANCAKES OR WAFFLES?"
    Here's a mindfuck: spell "lol" backwards!

Epic battle ends miserably for Casey.
    Epic battle ends miserably for Casey.
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Jayge_

Systech, I must have a preview of the party system. Nao.

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Systech
    Jayge said:
    "Systech, I must have a preview of the party system. Nao."
    Then, I need DualReaver and whoever has the update with me.
    GioVANNI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By GioVANNI

When does it come out again?

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By jakob187
    Jayge said:
    "Systech, I must have a preview of the party system. Nao."

Pleasureizmine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Pleasureizmine

lol systech

Unreal_dro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Unreal_dro
    Pleasureizmine said:
    "THREAD HIJACK

PANCAKES OR WAFFLES?"
    BEEF STEW
    lamegame621

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By lamegame621

I noes not what i thinks about this update. seems tasty though, but not as tasty as....
    Pleasureizmine
    said:

"THREAD HIJACK

PANCAKES OR WAFFLES?"
    PANCAKES BIATCH!!!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.