Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Ni no Kuni: Shikkoku no Madoshi

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Dec 09, 2010

A role playing game from Level-5 and Studio Ghibli for the Nintendo DS.

So this is coming to the PS3 too.

Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Steve_C

It seems Famitsu is delivering the goods this week, as the previously "unannounced platform" for this title has been revealed to be the PS3.

No Caption Provided
    Chalk it up to the quality of the photo, but i'm having a hard time figuring out which screens are in-engine and which are the cutscenes. I was already sold when they unveiled the original DS version, so i'm even more excited now. It may not have Miyazaki behind it, but the Ghibli magic should still be in full effect.

No Caption Provided
    So what does that mean? All that delicious animation can be experienced in HD at the very least. We haven't seen too much of the gameplay proper, so i'm hoping at worst that it'll be good enough to support the story. I assume this version will be pretty similar to the DS one at least in terms of the general story. The DS version involves some element of symbol drawing, so maybe we'll see Move support? Will they be released day and date with eachother? There are too many questions at this point. I think i'm sold on this PS3 version if it's of equal quality.

Apparently there's a conference happening later this week about this game specifically (might even be tomorrow), where some more details will no doubt be unveiled to keep fans salivating. I'm desperately hoping that this will get published in the west.

I know a few of you are excited about this game as I. You do you feel about this? Which version will you be wanting?
    vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By vitor

Woah! That's awesome news, sweet. Possible TGS appearance?

Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Steve_C
    @Vitor said:
    " Woah! That's awesome news, sweet. Possible TGS appearance? "
    It has to be, right? I think it's pretty much guaranteed. TGS is already sounding awesome. This, FF Versus XIII, Kojima's new game. That's if they all get shown of course.
    vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By vitor
    @Steve_C said:
    " @Vitor said:
    " Woah! That's awesome news, sweet. Possible TGS appearance? "
    It has to be, right? I think it's pretty much guaranteed. TGS is already sounding awesome. This, FF Versus XIII, Kojima's new game. That's if they all get shown of course. "
    That and the Last Guardian.  

Thank God I'll actually be in Japan and able to go to TGS this year - should be awesome. Now to find out when tickets go on sale and for how much...
    Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Steve_C
    @Vitor: How did I forget about that I don't know. TLG is up there with my most anticipated game.

What are you doing in Japan? Needless to say i'm pretty jealous.
    EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By EVO

Glad I won't have to hunch over my DS to play this.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By vitor
    @Steve_C said:
    " @Vitor: How did I forget about that I don't know. TLG is up there with my most anticipated game.  What are you doing in Japan? Needless to say i'm pretty jealous. "
    Year Abroad as part of my university degree - spending 2 months in Korea doing a language course and training at a Taekwondo academy then a year at a Japanese university. Head off in 3 weeks, should be awesome
    x_XJules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By x_XJules

YESSSSSSSSS.

Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Steve_C

The ninokuni press conference did infact take place, and the PS3 version was shown. It's scheduled to hit Japan sometime in 2011, as opposed to this december like the DS version.

These are all in-engine screenshots. Pretty incredible stuff.

A trailer was made available as the PS3 website was opened. You can watch it here, and I advise that you do. It's stunning in motion.

@Vitor: That sounds excellent. I'd love to do some travelling like that. I maintain my jealously. Best of luck with that though, and make the most of it.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By Meowayne

We haven't seen too much of the gameplay proper

There's a demo. The gameplay is pretty generic. But we'll see if the art and story can make up for it.

Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By Luke
    FrankWeidner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By FrankWeidner
    @Luke: Holy crap that trailer is gorgeous! Studio Ghibli on my PS3 is something I very much want.  

I'll have to wait for the actual gameplay, though. I'd much rather run around and just LOOK at this world than play a bunch of random battles. Again, I can't really tell from the trailer, but the combat seemed to be fairly generic... 
    Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Steve_C
    @Luke: Cheers dude!

One thing I noticed during that trailer, and i'm not sure if it had been previously announced, but Joe Hisaishi is doing the music. He does incredible work for Ghibli, and for the older Kitano films. I love that guy. Can't wait to hear the soundtrack.

I've also just seen that andriasang did a liveblog of the press conference. More gameplay details. There are some interesting tidbits of information about both the DS and PS3 versions, so i'll just include most of them here: 

• Under the Imagine system, you encounter monsters and then recruit them. Afterwards, you can raise them.
    • You can name your Imagine monster after you recruit it.
    • The worlds are large and rich during gameplay. Lots of NPCs and buildings.
    • The Magic Master (the magical book) shows the world map so you can know where you are, as well as basic information on a locale (its inhabitants, etc.)
    • The magic book shows how to write a spell on the touch screen. There are certain patterns that can be used to open doors.
    • You can use the Magic Master to find out an enemy's weakness.

• Gameplay style is the same as DS, but now the visuals are HD quality.
    • The PS3 version seems to have a different subtitle.
    • It will get its own version of the Magic Master book.
    • Level 5 will try to make the two versions different games in the same world so players can enjoy both.

• There will be downloadable Ninokuni backstory episodes on Japanese cellphones.
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @Steve_C said:
    • The magic book shows how to write a spell on the touch screen. There are certain patterns that can be used to open doors.

Oh geeze I didn't think of this until now and I'm sure it won't, but man I hope this doesn't end up requiring Move.
    Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Steve_C
    @ProfessorEss said:
    " @Steve_C said:

Oh geeze I didn't think of this until now and I'm sure it won't, but man I hope this doesn't end up requiring Move. "
    Did you read the OP lol? I was wondering about that too. That particular bullet point was about the DS version in the presentation, though I could see it being in the PS3 game too. Even if you can use Move, it'll still have controller support, functioning just like the paintbrush in okami perhaps.
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @Steve_C said:

Did you read the OP lol?

Haha, I was about to say "Yes of course I read the original post", but as I re-read it I realized I didn't actually finish reading it before running over to my "Lists" page to put this game at the top of my "Wishlist" :P
    Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Steve_C
    @ProfessorEss:  Then clearly you have your priorities sorted. I'm proud of you.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.