Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo DS

Platform »

The Nintendo DS is a handheld featuring two screens, one of which is a resistive touchscreen. Four different models are available: the original DS, the DS Lite, the DSi, the DSi XL.

Square Enix producer Hashimoto Talks about FFV, VI DS, Densetsu 3

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#1  Edited By AgentJ

No Caption Provided
    Square Enix producer Shinji Hashimoto was Twittering like mad yesterday, answering a number of questions about Square Enix' back catalog and chances of modern day ports or remakes. 
    He first touched on the possibility of a port of Seiken Densetsu 3, sequel to the popular SNES RPG Secret of Mana. All he said was that Squeenix was "undecided", but for people who want to see the game come to America for the first time, the fact that they are even thinking about it is reassuring.

After talking about some other games, He touched on the long-rumored possibility of DS versions of Final Fantasy V and VI. Many have been surprised that the games haven't already made their way to the popular handheld, given the success of the previous DS remakes of III and IV.

"for FF5 and 6, there are technical issues as well, so at present these are also undecided."

Again, it's nice to hear that the company is even thinking about this, and I hope that both make their way to the DS or its successor.

Thanks to Joystiq.com for reporting on this.
    No Caption Provided
    newmarcom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By newmarcom

I would imagine the technical issues for FF5 and FF6 on the DS is the same kind of technical issues for FF7 on PS3. Just thinking about all those art assets each of those games needed would give any developer second thoughts.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By ryanwho

Not sure what technical issues 5 proposes. Its not exactly a cinematic game, and it doesn't take itself all that seriously. Or maybe that's the problem, they only know how to pepper up self serious games full of cutscenes now. 
    Or maybe its just a matter of waiting to see what the 3DS is offering.

Ratcabbage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Ratcabbage

That's a shame that they're undecided about remaking more FFs for the DS. I would happily take a port of FF6 for the DS, though. I thought the Chrono Trigger port was great. Plus 3Difying 6 seems kind of sacrilegious.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By AgentJ
    @Ratcabbage said:
    " That's a shame that they're undecided about remaking more FFs for the DS. I would happily take a port of FF6 for the DS, though. I thought the Chrono Trigger port was great. Plus 3Difying 6 seems kind of sacrilegious. "
    I personally would love to see a re imagined VI. If you mean it being in Avatar-3D, maybe you're right, but If they just did to VI what they did to IV, I think It would be awesome.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By AgentJ

Also, would a Mod move this to the DS forum?

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ryanwho
    @Ratcabbage said:
    " That's a shame that they're undecided about remaking more FFs for the DS. I would happily take a port of FF6 for the DS, though. I thought the Chrono Trigger port was great. Plus 3Difying 6 seems kind of sacrilegious. "
    They made a perfectly serviceable GBA port like 4 years ago. 
    vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By vidiot

Technical issues? So towns are hard to make on portable current gen hardware too?! zing!

In terms of location and scene complexity, I always felt that Final Fantasy VI was a far more complicated game than it's two SNES predecessors. I can see the apprehension regarding remaking that game on the DS, I don't think it would give the game justice. Final Fantasy IV DS was an impressive technical feat, I just can't see VI being replicated the same way, it wouldn't give the game justice. 

Final Fantasy V on the other hand, is more than ready to be remade in the same manner .

The DS version of IV was great, but I personally felt it's presentation was bottle-necked by the DS hardware. If they think they can do better on something less technically constraining then more power to them. With the way they've been pumping out Dragon Quest entries, and the same team that made III and IV DS releasing this little ditty, I get the feeling if a remake of either V or VI was on the books something would have already been stated. 

Ratcabbage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Ratcabbage
    @ryanwho said:
    " @Ratcabbage said:
    They made a perfectly serviceable GBA port like 4 years ago.  "

True, but I really liked the revamped DS UI for Chrono Trigger and all the bonus features like the art, music, and movie galleries. Plus, it would be a lot easier to just port it and it would probably sell just as well. Although, I don't think Chrono Trigger sold a bunch. I don't know what the fuck I'm saying lol. I guess I'd just take more FF6 any way I can get it.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AgentJ
    @Ratcabbage said:
    " @ryanwho said:
    " @Ratcabbage said:
    They made a perfectly serviceable GBA port like 4 years ago.  "
    True, but I really liked the revamped DS UI for Chrono Trigger and all the bonus features like the art, music, and movie galleries. Plus, it would be a lot easier to just port it and it would probably sell just as well. Although, I don't think Chrono Trigger sold a bunch. I don't know what the fuck I'm saying lol. I guess I'd just take more FF6 any way I can get it. "
    Chrono Trigger sold somewhere between 700,000 and 1,000,000 copies, last I heard. That's worldwide sales, but still more than enough to prompt other ports.
    AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By AuthenticM
    @vidiot: 
    What you said. V would be okay on the DS or DSi, but VI needs to run on a more powerful machine to give it the proper treatment it deserves. Which is why I say it should be on the PSP. I'm not saying it should be like modern RPGs with a rotating camera and everything; not like Crisis Core. They make it exactly like IV on DS: overhead camera with a fixed perspective, giving out the same feeling as playing the original. Only difference is it would look and sound more beautiful, not to mention the CG cutscenes. Some people don't care about graphics, but a lot of them forget how important sound quality is. The DS has a horrible sound chip and even shittier speakers; I do NOT want the masterpiece that is the soundtrack of FFVI to be injected full of parasites.

Also, awesome remix is awesome: 

EDIT: Is anyone else thinking this sounds a lot like something out of a Mega Man X or Valkyrie Profile game?

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By jakob187

Final Fantasy V sucked nutsack...so whatever. 

Final Fantasy VI, on the other hand, is something I would die for.  I'll never understand fuckheads that think VII is the best in the series when VI still exists!!!

Valkyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#13  Edited By Valkyr

If they are not full proper remakes for a next gen platform, I would prefer a port like FF 1 and 2 for the psp, just some "high res" sprites, better quality sound and widescreen, stop making horrible 3d games, like the coming Black/White Pokemon editions with that awful 3D city.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AuthenticM
    @jakob187: 
    What? Final Fantasy V didn't suck at all. I think each Final Fantasy has been better than the one before it, with the exception of VII, as I believe VI to be the best in the series.
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By Willy105

I have this sneaking suspicion Square Enix may have become lazy. But it may be just me. They can't even update FFV and VI?

HaroldoNVU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#16  Edited By HaroldoNVU

To me they just want to wait for the 3DS and "PSP2", before they spend money and time remading those titles to a dying platform like they did with those exactly same games on the GBA. Those remakes will be made, that's for sure. But I'm betting they'll be on the next generation of portable gaming devices. The GBA at least was at its peak when they released FF V Advance but with Final Fantasy III fully remade on the DS released at about the same time, many people decided to skip the Advance enhanced ports on the GBA and wait for full remakes on the DS. After all, those game had been ported to the Playstation and they are still incredibly to get even now.  It's kind of understandable.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By AgentJ
    @Valkyr said:

" If they are not full proper remakes for a next gen platform, I would prefer a port like FF 1 and 2 for the psp, just some "high res" sprites, better quality sound and widescreen, stop making horrible 3d games, like the coming Black/White Pokemon editions with that awful 3D city. "

The cities have been 3D for two game generations now. The cities were 3D in Diamond/Pearl/Platinum and Gold/Silver. The only difference is they changed up the location of the camera.
    As for FF 3D, I loved how III and IV looked, and would really love to see both V and VI done  this way.
    @AuthenticM said:

" @vidiot: 
    What you said. V would be okay on the DS or DSi, but VI needs to run on a more powerful machine to give it the proper treatment it deserves. Which is why I say it should be on the PSP. I'm not saying it should be like modern RPGs with a rotating camera and everything; not like Crisis Core. They make it exactly like IV on DS: overhead camera with a fixed perspective, giving out the same feeling as playing the original. Only difference is it would look and sound more beautiful, not to mention the CG cutscenes. Some people don't care about graphics, but a lot of them forget how important sound quality is. The DS has a horrible sound chip and even shittier speakers; I do NOT want the masterpiece that is the soundtrack of FFVI to be injected full of parasites.

Also, awesome remix is awesome: 

EDIT: Is anyone else thinking this sounds a lot like something out of a Mega Man X or Valkyrie Profile game?

"

Hrm, I've never had an issue with the speakers.
    Valkyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Valkyr
    @AgentJ:  The sound was very shitty for me too, I have a DS Lite, maybe with a DSi or DSi XL the sound is more crisp. But I agree with vidiot that they should be on the PSP, the DS hardware would ruin that masterpiece, they should redraw the sprites like they did with 1 and 2. We are going to see FF III and IV on the DS as inferior versions of the originals or the GBA ports, it is always better a high quality sprite that an awful 3D. If they are going to go 3D they should at least do it on the Wii, if you think about it the old ones were released on the NES and SNES. Remaking them on the 360/ps3 will just push them to go crazy with the graphics, the cutscenes and the FMV, the big mistake of every FF after IX
    AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By AuthenticM
    @AgentJ: 
    Well I'm an audiophile and am of the opinion that the audio on the DS Lite (that's what I currently have) is very sub-par. That's one of the reasons why I want my remakes of old-school games on the PSP or PSN; the DS just isn't enough for my tastes.
    HaroldoNVU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By HaroldoNVU
    @AuthenticM:  The audio on the PSP is also pretty bad, I always use phones to play games on both handhelds.
    Valkyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Valkyr
    @HaroldoNVU:  We are not only talking about speaker quality, the sound itself is awful on the DS Lite
    Onigenko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Onigenko

I would love if ANY of these games came to DS, always room for more JRPG goodness.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By Marz

A full 3d remake of final fantasy 6 would be excellent, DS or next generation remake :)

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By AuthenticM
    @HaroldoNVU: 
    The speakers on the PSP aren't as bad as the ones on the DS, but the sound chip is way better. Playing with headphones on, you should definitely notice a difference in quality. The thing can play movies, so it ought to have potable hardware.
    jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By jeffgoldblum
    @ryanwho said:
    "  maybe its just a matter of waiting to see what the 3DS is offering. "
    This sounds very likely.
    monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By monetarydread

I would buy any final fantasy released on the DS. I would prefer any of the games to be on future hardware though because i am a graphics whore. 
    p.s. FFV is the worst Final Fantasy since Mystic Quest.

HaroldoNVU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By HaroldoNVU
    @AuthenticM:  Honestly, i think it's more of about the storage media than the quality of the sound chip. limited storage ends up bottlenecking most DS games sound quality. But personally, I never compared the sound chip on those, so I might be wrong.
    Avatar image for auspiciousqueue
    auspiciousqueue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#28  Edited By auspiciousqueue

I tend to agree that FFV was sub par. But it would be nice to have FFVI on DS.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.