Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo DS

Platform »

The Nintendo DS is a handheld featuring two screens, one of which is a resistive touchscreen. Four different models are available: the original DS, the DS Lite, the DSi, the DSi XL.

Would you believe that the most ambitious goty is on the DS?

• 76 results
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#1  Edited By AgentJ

Craig Harris said:

5th Cell made a name for itself when it created Drawn to Life on the Nintendo DS a few years back, and strengthened its reputation with the surprisingly good Lock's Quest released about a year later. The small team has been working on what could be one of the most creative and most ambitious DS games yet. At least, that's what they want you to believe, and after playing the game at Warner Bros. Interactive's booth at the Electronic Entertainment Expo, I do. I really do. Don't let the simplistic visual style fool you: this is easily one of the best games at the show for any platform. 

First, the concept for those who haven't been following the game: players control the game's character Maxwell whose task is simple: collect a star within the specific level. By himself he just doesn't have the means to acquire the star because they're placed in locations that are juuuuuust out of reach. So he needs help. Your help. Using your vast vocabulary of nouns, drop items in the area to help him get to that star. If there's a dirt wall in the way, call up a shovel. Need to get to higher ground? give him a set of wings. 

The game has a vast amount of items to bring up, either by typing on a touchscreen QWERTY keyboard, or handwriting it in. It was difficult to come up with items that aren't represented in Scribblenauts, and if you misspell your word it will check your spelling and give you a choice of words that came close to your typo. And I checked "penis," smartguys. Not in the dictionary. 

Objects also have behaviors attached to them. Watering cans can drip water, jetpacks can fly, shrink rays can reduce the size of other objects. Write Velociraptor and Stegosaurus, and watch the raptor get an easy lunch against that herbivore. Bring a werewolf in and watch him pass his lycanthropy to an innocent human. This game is all about discovery and using objects in creative ways. 

The final version of Scribblenauts will feature a level creator that gives powerful construction tools to the gamer...and the creations can be transferred to other Scribblenauts owners via Wi-Fi trading. Unfortunately the E3 demo didn't have this mode implemented, but we could at least tinker around with objects with an open world "sandbox" option. 

5th Cell's clearly having a blast putting in objects as inside jokes. Be sure to type in "keyboard cat" when the game ships later this year. 

We'll go far more indepth with Scribblenauts after the show ends because there's so much to experience in this ambitious title that far exceeds all my expectations.

In summary, Scribblenauts is looking like one of the most ambitious games on any available console. I mean, writing Keyboard Cat brings up an object? Specific Dinosaur names? This will almost certainly be a day one buy for any serious gamer. This is an example of what the DS is capable of.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Al3xand3r

It's an example of what anything is capable of if only someone comes along to exploit it. I want.

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3  Edited By Suicrat

De-blackify the text, AgentJ. Please!

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By AgentJ
    @Suicrat said:
    " De-blackify the text, AgentJ. Please! "
    your wish is my command
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By oldschool
    @Al3xand3r said:
    " It's an example of what anything is capable of if only someone comes along to exploit it. I want. "
    True.  So very true.  A crap game on any console is not indicative of the console, it is indicative of the developer.

I have read a bit about this game, but this interview raises my interest.  Not sure if it is THE game for me, but I will certainly keeps tabs on it and check out initial reactions to it.
    Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By Red

Looks awesome. This and Golden Sun DS should make me a very happy DS owner this holiday season.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By AgentJ

I cant wait to write Mecha. and then Mech. because apparantly both do different things.

tacgnol is in the game too. Longcats nemesis (longcat is in as well)
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By oldschool
    @AgentJ said:
    " I cant wait to write Mecha. and then Mech. because apparantly both do different things.
    tacgnol is in the game too. Longcats nemesis (longcat is in as well)
    "
    This part of the game is very intriguing, but I am not sure I really get the point.  Give me time  :-)
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AgentJ
    @oldschool:
    The point will be to reach a certiain spot in the level that is normally just out of reach of your character by writing items into the world that make it possible to reach the item or spot
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By oldschool
    @AgentJ said:
    " @oldschool:
    The point will be to reach a certiain spot in the level that is normally just out of reach of your character by writing items into the world that make it possible to reach the item or spot
    "
    Still over my head.  I need to watch a trailer.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By AgentJ
    @oldschool:
    I know its tough to understand because its such an amazing concept. You just take your stylus and write the name of something that you think could help accomplish your goal (for example: dog, dinosaur, dinner, disco) and the object you write in will appear on screen, affecting things around it. For example, if the level has some mice in it, writing in a cat might make them run away. Writing in a herbavore and a carnivore would make them duke it out, possibly providing your character with a distraction.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Al3xand3r

Picture "a boy and his blob". Except instead of feeding the blob magic pills, you simply materialise things you need (or don't need?) by writing.

Insectecutor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Insectecutor

Scribblenauts is certainly getting me interested in picking up my DS again. Chinatown Wars was the last game I played on it. I don't think it's "the most ambitious game of the year," it's more the most ambitious portable game of the year.

RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By RedSox8933

Scribblenauts looks really great. I can't wait for it.

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#15  Edited By KamasamaK

Ambitious, yes. I've been looking forward to this game since before E3.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By Fallen189

This isn't EBA2

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By AgentJ
    @Fallen189 said:
    " This isn't EBA2 "
    Heh. If you want EBA2, you'd better go looking for Ouendan on import sites because we arent getting EBA again any time soon
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AgentJ

Joystiq just did a hands on with this game. For anyone interested (and most people who arent), this is a MUST READ!

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Al3xand3r

Anything you can think of is in this game. (Yes, that. Yes, that too.)

"Andrew created a teleporter in an attempt to instantly apparate to the Starite -- instead, it took him to a medieval world where he was besieged by shadowy assassins. He tried distracting them with candy -- really, Andrew? -- then created a fairly anachronistic nuke. The nuke didn't detonate, so andrew created a laser rifle to take out the assassins. One of his lasers grazed the aforementioned WMD, and blew up the entire level."

I need this game. And a DSi.

/me scribbles DSi to no avail...
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By oldschool
    @Al3xand3r said:
    "

Anything you can think of is in this game. (Yes, that. Yes, that too.)

"Andrew created a teleporter in an attempt to instantly apparate to the Starite -- instead, it took him to a medieval world where he was besieged by shadowy assassins. He tried distracting them with candy -- really, Andrew? -- then created a fairly anachronistic nuke. The nuke didn't detonate, so andrew created a laser rifle to take out the assassins. One of his lasers grazed the aforementioned WMD, and blew up the entire level."

I need this game. And a DSi.

/me scribbles DSi to no avail... "
    That really does sound intriguing.  interest still rising even if I am yet to fully understand the concept.
    Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TheMustacheHero

Have you seen the video of scribblenauts where the guy puts God and a Kraken in the same room and they start fighting?

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By oldschool
    @TheMustacheHero said:
    " Have you seen the video of scribblenauts where the guy puts God and a Kraken in the same room and they start fighting? "
    Post  the video.  Maybei in action will clue me up more.

I would look and post the video, but I am yet to work out how to embed.  It never works for me.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Al3xand3r
    @Al3xand3r said:
    " Picture "a boy and his blob". Except instead of feeding the blob magic pills, you simply materialise things you need (or don't need?) by writing. "
    To embed you get the embed code from the video site, whatever that is, then click "edit html code" in the editor here (right next to "insert picture"), paste the embed code in the little pop up window and click "done" :)
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By oldschool
    @Al3xand3r said:
    "
    @Al3xand3r said:
    " Picture "a boy and his blob". Except instead of feeding the blob magic pills, you simply materialise things you need (or don't need?) by writing. "
    To embed you get the embed code from the video site, whatever that is, then click "edit html code" in the editor here (right next to "insert picture"), paste the embed code in the little pop up window and click "done" :) "
    Oh, now I get it.  Oh man, I can really be thick some times.  It is edit html code here that I have been missing.  Yay for me  :-)
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By AgentJ
    Joystiq said:
    We were extremely impressed with our time with Scribblenauts on the E3 show floor, but in a weird way, we felt this primal desire to conquer it. After an evening of brainstorming, we developed ten words we were certain would stump the game's seemingly infinite vocabulary -- the surprising results of our little experiment are posted after the jump!

1. Internet -- While we thought the developer wouldn't bother including something as intangible as the intarwebs, entering the word actually spawns a little computer. A little adorable computer.Scribblenauts 1, Joystiq 0.

2. Tattoo -- How could the game possibly render a piece of body art? By spawning a sheet of temporary tattoos, of course. Clever, Scribblenauts. Very clever.

3. Air -- How could you even tell if the game spawned air? Inputting this word creates a tiny puff of air that, when dragged and dropped, is absorbed into the surrounding air. 3-0.

4. Molecule -- No object is too small for Scribblenauts' vocabulary. We entered molecule, and received a tiny model of a molecule in turn.

5. Scribblenauts -- Instead of causing the game to become self-aware, an event that would certainly lead to the destruction of mankind, entering Scribblenauts causes the original character model for Maxwell, the game's protagonist, to appear.

6. Narwhal -- Not only did it cause a horn-touting whale to appear, but we were able to ride atop its back, crossing the liquid divide between us and a Starite. Incredible.

7. Lutefisk -- Sure enough, a bright white fish appeared and began to flop around the level. Oddly enough, a previously spawned Santa Claus ran up and ate the Lutefisk. He must have a cast-iron stomach.

8. Plumbob -- No dice! The game's lead designer was hanging over our shoulder as we entered in this unrecognized word. He quickly asked what it was, pulled out his phone and feverishly sent some unknown party a text message. "Okay," he said. "It'll be in the final product."

9. Stanchion -- The bulk of us actually thought this word was made up -- but Scribblenautsmanaged to spawn a weight-bearing post, which is apparently what a stanchion is.

10. Joystiq -- Upon entering Joystiq, the game brought up the spell check menu, asking us if we meant to spell "Joystick." We're willing to count this, but we're hoping 5th Cell can manage to include some representation of our site in the final product.

Final score: Scribblenauts: 9, Joystiq: 1. Good game, 5th Cell. Good gameindeed.
    FUCKING amazing. The final game will have Plumbob
    Discorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#26  Edited By Discorsi

not very surprising about the quality.   5th cell makes good games.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By AgentJ
    @Discorsi said:
    " not very surprising about the quality.   5th cell makes good games. "
    They do, but the depth of this game is absolutely nuts. I dont think anything like this has been tried before. you can write "Lutefisk" in the game and a lutefisk appears. Not to mention that we havent talked about the level creator. This game will be a must have, and 10/10 potential
    Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#28  Edited By Death_Unicorn

No penis? That is the ultimate tool of destruction though...
    However, this game and golden sun will definitively make me use my DS again.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By AgentJ
    @oldschool said:
    " This from Joystiq:
    No Caption Provided
    We were extremely impressed with our time with 
    Scribblenauts on the E3 show floor, but in a weird way, we felt this primal desire to conquer it. After an evening of brainstorming, we developed ten words we were certain would stump the game's seemingly infinite vocabulary -- the surprising results of our little experiment are posted after the jump!

Internet -- While we thought the developer wouldn't bother including something as intangible as the intarwebs, entering the word actually spawns a little computer. A little adorable computer.Scribblenauts 1, Joystiq 0.

Tattoo -- How could the game possibly render a piece of body art? By spawning a sheet of temporary tattoos, of course. Clever, Scribblenauts. Very clever.

Air -- How could you even tell if the game spawned air? Inputting this word creates a tiny puff of air that, when dragged and dropped, is absorbed into the surrounding air. 3-0.

Molecule -- No object is too small for Scribblenauts' vocabulary. We entered molecule, and received a tiny model of a molecule in turn.

Scribblenauts -- Instead of causing the game to become self-aware, an event that would certainly lead to the destruction of mankind, entering Scribblenauts causes the original character model for Maxwell, the game's protagonist, to appear.

Narwhal -- Not only did it cause a horn-touting whale to appear, but we were able to ride atop its back, crossing the liquid divide between us and a Starite. Incredible.

Lutefisk -- Sure enough, a bright white fish appeared and began to flop around the level. Oddly enough, a previously spawned Santa Claus ran up and ate the Lutefisk. He must have a cast-iron stomach.

Plumbob -- No dice! The game's lead designer was hanging over our shoulder as we entered in this unrecognized word. He quickly asked what it was, pulled out his phone and feverishly sent some unknown party a text message. "Okay," he said. "It'll be in the final product."

Stanchion -- The bulk of us actually thought this word was made up -- but Scribblenautsmanaged to spawn a weight-bearing post, which is apparently what a stanchion is.

Joystiq -- Upon entering Joystiq, the game brought up the spell check menu, asking us if we meant to spell "Joystick." We're willing to count this, but we're hoping 5th Cell can manage to include some representation of our site in the final product.

Final score: Scribblenauts: 9, Joystiq: 1. Good game, 5th Cell. Good gameindeed.

Believe it or not, I am finally coming to grips with this and I am impressed.  Very impressed.
    "
    theres a gameplay video here.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By oldschool

After reading (and for a moment accidentally posting a repeat of Agent J) the stuff from Joystiq, I am finally getting it.  I am impressed.  Very impressed.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By AgentJ
    @oldschool said:
    " After reading (and for a moment accidentally posting a repeat of Agent J) the stuff from Joystiq, I am finally getting it.  I am impressed.  Very impressed. "
    It really is amazing isnt it. Wish i could get everyone to pay attention to it. 
    TheMathlete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#32  Edited By TheMathlete

God vs. the Devil ... who would win?!  Scribblenauts looks absolutely amazing.  GOTY ... the possibilities ...

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By TheMustacheHero

I found the video, sept I have no clue how this embedding stuff works...

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By oldschool
    @TheMustacheHero said:
    " I found the video, sept I have no clue how this embedding stuff works..."
    It worked.  I only figured the embedded stuff yeaterday.  It was a real "face palm" moment when I realsied what I was doing wrong.

That was kraken awesome.  

The hype is real.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Al3xand3r

So... If they have that functionality for demo booths, why don't they release some cable for the DS to connect to a TV with? Sure, the graphics are stretched quite a bit, but most games being 2D just look even more retro like that... Certainly easier to show people stuff than have everyone cramped around the DS. Heck, some games would be almost fully playable without even looking down @ your handheld... But okay we've discussed this before. Just cool to see it. Game looks great but they should at least show a level/puzzle pass, not just random doodling.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By oldschool
    @Al3xand3r said:
    " So... If they have that functionality for demo booths, why don't they release some cable for the DS to connect to a TV with? Sure, the graphics are stretched quite a bit, but most games being 2D just look even more retro like that... Certainly easier to show people stuff than have everyone cramped around the DS. Heck, some games would be almost fully playable without even looking down @ your handheld... But okay we've discussed this before. Just cool to see it. Game looks great but they should at least show a level/puzzle pass, not just random doodling. "
    Yes, we discussed it before, but that video does make you go - "what the hell Nintendo, it is just a software update, make it happen".  It looked fine on that screen and it would on our LCD and plasma screens (most of us have those now I imagine).
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By AgentJ

The only issue i have with this game, the only Teensy Weensy little issue i have with this game, that is so miniscule it probably wouldn't even factor into my thought process during play, is the poor animation of the main character. i understand that making animations for all the things they are putting into this game is an amazing feat, but the main character should have more movement to him. It barely looks like he even turns around.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By oldschool
    @AgentJ said:
    " The only issue i have with this game, the only Teensy Weensy little issue i have with this game, that is so miniscule it probably wouldn't even factor into my thought process during play, is the poor animation of the main character. i understand that making animations for all the things they are putting into this game is an amazing feat, but the main character should have more movement to him. It barely looks like he even turns around. "
    We are really talking gameplay of style here.  I would be a little concerned about it maybe being repetitive - only so many words before you get bored?  I hope not.
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#39  Edited By ArbitraryWater

The concept of this game sounds immensely awesome. I am pumped already.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Linkyshinks

Sounds fascinating..I may have to get this.

Drawn to lIfe 2 is coming out on Wii and DS also.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By oldschool
    @Linkyshinks said:
    " Sounds fascinating..I may have to get this.Drawn to lIfe 2 is coming out on Wii and DS also. "
    Drawn to Life Wii could get me into the series.  Depends on the accuracy of the drawing.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By AgentJ
    @oldschool said:
    "
    @AgentJ said:
    " The only issue i have with this game, the only Teensy Weensy little issue i have with this game, that is so miniscule it probably wouldn't even factor into my thought process during play, is the poor animation of the main character. i understand that making animations for all the things they are putting into this game is an amazing feat, but the main character should have more movement to him. It barely looks like he even turns around. "
    We are really talking gameplay of style here.  I would be a little concerned about it maybe being repetitive - only so many words before you get bored?  I hope not.
    "
    I guess you really dont seem to understand how massive the games dictionary is. chances are it will have almost every word or concept in the english (and probably some spanish, japanese, german, norsk) language that isnt a proper name (it will also include some specific proper names as well, like Einstein). 
    @oldschool said:
    "
    @Linkyshinks said:
    " Sounds fascinating..I may have to get this.Drawn to lIfe 2 is coming out on Wii and DS also. "
    Drawn to Life Wii could get me into the series.  Depends on the accuracy of the drawing.
    "
    You could color each pixel individually in the first one so i doubt you'll have much of a problem.
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#43  Edited By PureRok

It has anything I could think of? I highly doubt that. I have a very, very twisted psyche. I'm positive I could come up with something the developer didn't, and it's not safe for work.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By AgentJ
    @PureRok said:
    " It has anything I could think of? I highly doubt that. I have a very, very twisted psyche. I'm positive I could come up with something the developer didn't, and it's not safe for work. "
    okay, granted, they probably wont have anything NSFW either. it's going to be an E-rated game. But for gods sake, they have Jackalope! They have Lutefisk! 
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By oldschool
    @AgentJ said:
    "
    @PureRok said:
    " It has anything I could think of? I highly doubt that. I have a very, very twisted psyche. I'm positive I could come up with something the developer didn't, and it's not safe for work. "
    okay, granted, they probably wont have anything NSFW either. it's going to be an E-rated game. But for gods sake, they have Jackalope! They have Lutefisk! 
    "
    I saw that on the video - they were pretty obscure words.  
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By AgentJ

You know what someone needs to do in this game? Grizzley Bear vs T-Rex. 

If they have a demo station at PAX i'm all over that.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By oldschool
    @AgentJ said:
    " You know what someone needs to do in this game? Grizzley Bear vs T-Rex. 
    "
    T-Rex will win for sure.  We need a better challenge than that.  

Pikachu vs. Agumon.  That will settle the debate forever  :-)

Godzilla vs. Gamma, with crazy Japanese singing guy.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By AgentJ
    @oldschool said:
    "
    @AgentJ said:
    " You know what someone needs to do in this game? Grizzley Bear vs T-Rex. 
    "
    T-Rex will win for sure.  We need a better challenge than that.  

Pikachu vs. Agumon.  That will settle the debate forever  :-)

Godzilla vs. Gamma, with crazy Japanese singing guy.
    "
    It was a reference to the GB homepage during E3, but yours would be cool too

They need to get Colbert into the game
    subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#49  Edited By subject2change

Saw this during the Co-Op Episode 14 today, looks like it will be really cool.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By AgentJ

While it isn't as awesome as watching someone random fuck around with the game, this video shows exactly how the game works, and gives God some awesome new skills. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.