Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo Entertainment System

Platform »

The NES, also known as Famicom, launched in 1983 in Japan and 1985 in North America, where the video game industry was headed downhill due to a deluge of poor games and over-saturation. Nintendo's second home console became an enormous success, establishing consoles as a mainstream market in Japan and pulling the North American industry back to its feet.

The NES Classic is coming back in 2018.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Source

"REDMOND, Wash.—(BUSINESS WIRE)—Due to incredible demand for the upcoming Super Nintendo Entertainment System: Super NES Classic Editionsystem, Nintendo plans to ship the retro-inspired product into 2018. Originally, shipments were announced to cease at the end of this calendar year.

In addition, more units of Super NES Classic Edition will ship on its Sept. 29 launch day in the U.S. than were shipped of NES Classic Edition all last year, with subsequent shipments arriving in stores regularly. Fans have shown their unbridled enthusiasm for these Classic Edition systems, so Nintendo is working to put many more of them on store shelves.

The Super NES Classic Edition system features 21 legendary Super NES games such as Super Mario World, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past and Super Metroid. Launching on Sept. 29 at a suggested retail price of only $79.99, Super NES Classic Edition plugs directly into the TV using the provided HDMI cable, and comes with two wired controllers.

Next summer, Nintendo will also bring back the Nintendo Entertainment System: NES Classic Edition system with new shipments. More information about the timing of the return of NES Classic Edition will be announced in the future.

NES Classic Edition features 30 classic NES games such as the original Super Mario Bros., The Legend of Zelda and Donkey Kong".

My question is, has there ever been a greater jebait in the history of this medium?

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By glots

Doubt I'll still buy one, but I'll already be happy if this made/will make some scalpers lose money.

Arjailer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WTF are Nintendo playing at?

gkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Someone tricked Reggie into giving the people what they wanted.

"Reggie, we're seeing all this discussion online about how exited people are about next years Nintendo 64 Classic. "

"FUCK EM! THEY'RE GETTING THE OLD SHIT AND THEY'LL BE HAPPY! WII U SALES, MOTHERFUCKERS. FUCK. THEM!"

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BrainScratch

It's like someone at Nintendo finally realized that if they produce more of a product everyone wants, they'll make more money. It should've taken them less time to figure that out.

Anyway, this is good news, glad that people who wanted them can get them.

Puchiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is this confirmed for all territories? The story Wario64 tweeted only mentioned Europe.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

At this point, I refuse to buy it out of spite. Nintendo broke me. I can't bring myself to get excited that they're supposedly now doing what they should have done in the goddamn first place. That they never met demand for the NES Classic, unceremoniously cancelled production on the thing, and then tried the exact same shit with the SNES Classic is the most egregious example that I can recall of a company giving zero fucks about what their consumers were asking for.

Even Vinny, despite his generally very positive disposition, felt compelled to go on an amazing/hilarious rant about how asinine the whole thing was. People have been pissed about and complaining about this for nearly a year, and they got more pissed with the SNES pre-order shitshow. That Nintendo is just now responding to the overwhelming backlash is pathetic. They've known about this and ignored it, until I assume they determined that people had figured out their artificial scarcity game.

I thought this was all going to be this cool phenomenon where people my age played NES games with their kids and bridged some generational gaps, leading to a greater love of video gaming on the whole. Instead, we got a tire fire of scalpers, cancelled pre-orders, frenzied throngs fighting over the one unit a Wal-Mart actually got in, and it was awfulness all around. None of that garbage ever needed to happen, but Nintendo knowingly and willingly let it happen.

I wanted an NES Classic and would have happily bought one. However, Nintendo didn't want me to be able to buy one. So I'm going to play their game. Oh, you want me to buy one now? Well, guess what, I don't want one anymore. Fuck you, just like you said fuck you to me with this bullshit over the course of the past year. Reap what you fucking sow. I hope these things sit on the shelves unsold, and I hope the scalpers who hoarded them can't give them away. Fuck everything about this.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

We have a product for people who couldn't get a Super NES Classic, it's called NES Classic.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

At this point, I refuse to buy it out of spite. Nintendo broke me. I can't bring myself to get excited that they're supposedly now doing what they should have done in the goddamn first place. That they never met demand for the NES Classic, unceremoniously cancelled production on the thing, and then tried the exact same shit with the SNES Classic is the most egregious example that I can recall of a company giving zero fucks about what their consumers were asking for.

Even Vinny, despite his generally very positive disposition, felt compelled to go on an amazing/hilarious rant about how asinine the whole thing was. People have been pissed about and complaining about this for nearly a year, and they got more pissed with the SNES pre-order shitshow. That Nintendo is just now responding to the overwhelming backlash is pathetic. They've known about this and ignored it, until I assume they determined that people had figured out their artificial scarcity game.

I thought this was all going to be this cool phenomenon where people my age played NES games with their kids and bridged some generational gaps, leading to a greater love of video gaming on the whole. Instead, we got a tire fire of scalpers, cancelled pre-orders, frenzied throngs fighting over the one unit a Wal-Mart actually got in, and it was awfulness all around. None of that garbage ever needed to happen, but Nintendo knowingly and willingly let it happen.

I wanted an NES Classic and would have happily bought one. However, Nintendo didn't want me to be able to buy one. So I'm going to play their game. Oh, you want me to buy one now? Well, guess what, I don't want one anymore. Fuck you, just like you said fuck you to me with this bullshit over the course of the past year. Reap what you fucking sow. I hope these things sit on the shelves unsold, and I hope the scalpers who hoarded them can't give them away. Fuck everything about this.

This is basically exactly how I feel. I'm not even a big Nintendo fan, but I would've bought one last year (and then a SNES Classic later this year) if I could've just walked into a store and paid for it. Nintendo can eat shit for continuously and consistently showing nothing but contempt for their fans.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm good. If I need to play any of those games there are way easier methods than calling Gamestop every day asking if they have any NES Classics.

AdamALC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Of course it is. Why waste an opportunity to create more artificial scarcity to drum up excitement for your brand.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
    deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

I shouldn't buy one but I still might should the opportunity arise

BoccKob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Super NES Classic Edition system features 21 legendary Super NES games such as Super Mario World, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past and Super Metroid. Launching on Sept. 29 at a suggested retail price of only $79.99, Super NES Classic Edition plugs directly into the TV using the provided HDMI cable, and comes with two wired controllers.

Wait, WHAT?! "Only" eighty dollars for a little plastic brick with some twenty year-old ROMs on it? Are people insane?!

Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BUT, will I still be able to able to load my own ROMs and emulators on it?

If not, then I'm sure that initial run of consoles will still fetch a couple hundred bucks each.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bocckob said:

Wait, WHAT?! "Only" eighty dollars for a little plastic brick with some twenty year-old ROMs on it? Are people insane?!

Beats the official 149€ price over here at least. Kinda makes the "You shouldn't pay more than $79.99 for SNES Classic" statement from Reggie from few days ago amusing. Not that he personally decides the pricetag, but anyway...

Slasktotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but in all sincerity why are people so obsessed with this thing? What is it that makes it so desirable?

Sure it seems neat, but if you want to play those games....

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but in all sincerity why are people so obsessed with this thing? What is it that makes it so desirable?

I'm with you man. Nintendo tho.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19  Edited By notnert427

I'd prefer to be able to play them legally and have something more reliable than an actual NES and dusty old carts.

After this fiasco, though, I wholeheartedly endorse the use of emulation and pirated ROMs.

Qrowdyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slasktotten: There are lot of people, who are a lot more nostalgic than you or me. Do you get warm fuzzies in your stomach when you see a game console from you childhood? The people buying the snes classic do, and they're willing to shell out close to $100 for the privilege.

Meanwhile, all the rest of us need is a 8bitdo controller and the internet.

matoya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Does that mean I can reliably buy a SNES classic in Europe?

If not, fuck Nintendo. This is clearly something people want.

RikiGuitarist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is good to hear, Nintendo's giving people what they want. I'll pick one up if I can just walk into a store and grab one. I'm not jumping through flaming hoops, when emulators offer a far more superior experience. I want to support Nintendo and the hobbies that I enjoy, but Nintendo needs to make their products easy to purchase, otherwise people will find alternative methods that doesn't waste their time.

I also find it odd that a lot of video game pundits who have been chanting against pre-orders, are talking about how they can't pre-order the NES or SNES Classic.

laxbro19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I'm super surprised by this. I would've thought for sure that the NES Classic was done and dusted. However, I can't say I don't love the decision. I was on the fence at launch and when it was reviewing well I searched for one and it was already gone and the ebay inflation had set in. But, if I can get my hands on one for the MSRP, that's a no brainer. Same goes with SNES classic. Based on this press release, it also sounds like getting one won't be the monumental task that people have been saying it will be.

I guess ebay scalpers come out worse for wear, but that's the risk of selling certain collectibles. Especially video games, where re-releases are becoming more common.

RikiGuitarist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By RikiGuitarist

@laxbro19 said:

Especially video games, where re-releases are becoming more common.

I find it amusing that this is a re-release of a re-release, only 1 year later. Especially when a large portion of people have been bemoaning re-releases, and how game companies aren't doing anything new.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I look forward to it returning for a thirty minute window at 3 AM and then vanishing once more.

hewetty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was honestly never interested in the NES Classic until I saw that it was a limited run. I am a sucker for limited edition items. But now that I know its coming back, I could not be less interested. Its definitely a cool novelty item to have but not worth the money it costs. If I want to play NES games, my PSP is the perfect platform. I also don't feel like sitting cross-legged on the floor a few feet away from my TV hunched over like a caveman around a fire. Overall, great news though for anybody who wants one and even greater news that scalpers are getting their just desserts.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still like Nintendo, still enjoy their games and products, and will still probably get this and the snes classic if available. Part of the problem! Can't find it in me to be overly cynical about stuff nowadays either, I suppose.

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm good. The Virtual Console is still a thing. Great for those who want it though.

MudKatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep this is exactly what needed to happen. Don't limit yourself to only one round of these things. Can't think of a reason why they can't release them for years to come, even if it is only a couple time a year or something. If they are readiy available I will buy both, maybe more than one eventually as a gift to family that is no longer into games that much or something. At least they are doing something about the problem at all, better late than never.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Can't wait for the Classic NES Classic in 10 years.

Avatar image for thebeardedfellow
    thebeardedfellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By thebeardedfellow

Aaaaaaaaaaaand, it's gone!

mortonan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If they're putting out the NES Classic again next summer I wonder if that rules out a N64 Classic.

I'm glad they're doing this for people that want it. I have way more SNES than NES nostalgia though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.