Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo Switch

Platform »

Nintendo's home console that can be turned into a portable device by removing it from its TV-dock. Launched worldwide on March 3, 2017.

8bitdo controllers on Switch

guthwulf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By guthwulf

I have just recently learned of the existence of the aforementioned controllers through a destructoid post. In this they said that they can now be used on the Switch as well, and boy are those things great or what? I know I'm probably late to the party, but I felt like spreading the word. Anyone agree.... disagree even?

Now I only need those classic games I was promised!

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've had 2 8Bitdo controllers, an SFC30 and an NES30 Pro, and they've both been awful. My main complaint is the D-pads, which are loose, rattly and super imprecise. Then there's actually getting them to pair consistently.

For me anyway, they're a total waste of money.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I've got the NES30 Pro and I love it. My only complaint is that it's a bit small for my huge-ass hands. Otherwise, it's the best controller I've ever used for Android, and I've tried using a DS3, DS4 and iPega and had mixed results. The NES30 Pro wrecks them all. No noticeable input lag, great buttons and d-pad (I've heard of at least one other person with the complaint of the poster above that they're loose and rattly, but mine is not, maybe inconsistent manufacturing) and the battery actually lasts the rated 20 hours. I've also heard some people have mixed results connecting to other platforms, but for Android, there's probably nothing better.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sinusoidal: Yeah, they seem to have really inconsistent quality. People I've seen talking about these controllers always fall into one of two camps - love them or hate them, and each camp can't seem to understand what the other camp is on about.

I've had two stinkers in a row from 8Bitdo so won't be taking the chance again.

guthwulf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dave_tacitus: Oh for real? In that case I must have been lucky, because my controller feels exactly like my original SNES ones. That's why I instantly fell in love with it.

Shame that they seem to be incapable of delivering consistent quality.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@guthwulf: The best I've found are the iBuffalo SNES pads. They're a little lighter than proper controllers (but I've seen people gluing a couple of coins inside the case to combat this) but they're as close to the feel of a genuine SNES pad as I can remember. They can be hard to find though, and I've heard rumours they they've stopped making them.

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

I bought a NES30Pro after finding out about the Switch functionality. I was using an Xbox One controller for emulation, which was fine, but I figured this could replace that with something more authentic, and work with the Switch. I really like how the buttons feel, though it is a little small for me. It's not noticeably less responsive than the joycons and the D-Pad in particular is way better than the one on the left joycon. It beats the hell out of paying Nintendo $90 for their absurdly overpriced Pro controller.

Avatar image for octopusrocketmark
    Octopusrocketmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Makes me regret buying the Pro controller. Then again, I really enjoyed it for Zelda.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.