Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nioh

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Feb 07, 2017

A historical action game loosely based on the story of English samurai William Adams, as he helps slay the yokai that infest Sengoku-era Japan while hunting down a malicious alchemist.

Nioh Defiant Honor DLC Is Out Today

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Hey guys, more Nioh is good right? Yup. The first mission is a lot like Sekigahara (i.e. one of the best Souls level ever); though more of a puzzle since you'll take a ton of damage if you just run without taking cover from a 300-esque sea of arrows. The boss uses the new weapon, Tonfa; which is Sun Ce's weapon from Dynasty Warriors and a recurring weapon in Ninja Gaiden; it's pretty damn fun to use. You can basically loop certain attacks with limited stamina cost and the Tonfa strings in general are way longer than any other weapon. Reach is actually halfway decent somehow. The boss has a special version that shoots at the end of one of the move types, and if he drops his particular weapon for you you can use that move as well.

I was aware of the "Sanada Ten" conceptually but not of their names so kind of neat to learn even more about the Sengoku period I suppose. This DLC covers the Winter Campaign for Osaka, so labelled since there was also a Summer Campaign (safe to assume that's the next DLC, with a possible brief excursion to Spain). The next level lets you fight the remaining 9, some of which are pretty difficult (effectively minibosses); prior to fighting the big kahuna. Of course the most notable warrior that held the "Sanada Maru" was Yukimura Sanada himself, who's a pretty great fight; a lot more balanced than the harder bosses in the last DLC where they just had virtually no recovery and absolutely no staggering from basic attacks when they were buffed (basically always in the Way of the Strong onward); but Yukimura has a bit more leeway and while his attacks look awesome they aren't incredibly difficult to dodge or anything; additionally the area you fight him in has useful terrain and isn't way too small like the Maria fight.

They also added a fourth difficulty level with this patch "The Way of the Wise," I tried one level and the boss had 70k HP and hit for like 4500, seems fair. Wisdom leads one to avoid this sort of thing; but you do get orange loot now since they added another tier; so I guess I'll finally have to start grinding in Nioh, since the Way of the Demon was relatively doable at only moderately high level ranges; not so with the Wise.

Overall the quality of the DLC went up though it is a little bit shorter than last time; you get 2 main missions both of which are quite large/interesting. But fewer side missions and fewer bosses (3 Vs 5 or 6); however the bosses are better and one of the side missions for the new DLC is a totally unique massive labyrinth of a level with new enemies exclusive to it. Counting the Way of the Wise this is another 100+ hours of Nioh content to do, but if you just wanted to play it once through you'd probably get around 6-8 hours out of it.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#2  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I started the DLC only to get two-shotted by the first enemies I encountered, which I took as a none-too-subtle sign that I was going to have to grind up a couple of levels and get better equipment... which I really should've realized after getting my ass kicked repeatedly during the Maria fight in the first DLC. That's led to me just playing through the opening levels on Way of the Strong, since I found the post-game levels where you fight two bosses at the same time to be sort of terrible.

Tonfa seem neat, though I haven't quite gotten the hang of them yet, other than just kinda using them like a slightly slower version of the dual swords given their similar reach and speed with most attacks. There's clearly some shenanigans involved with the way you can cancel a ki-pulses into attack strings, but I can't really mess with that until I unlock all of those abilities.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

@arbitrarywater: I've gotten better with it; its pretty much just an infinite low stamina loop; though Way of the Demon first boss in the DLC automatically gets out of more than one hit so it doesn't work on everybody. Tonfa also have ~infinite poise in the command strings. For the most part Katana/Odachi are still better but the Tonfa have a relatively unique playstyle and at least for Demon/Wise Maria they might be the best weapon in the game since her boom transition doesn't knock you over.

Loading Video...
    Loading Video...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.