Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

NosCon

Concept »

A NosCon (short for Nostalgic Continuity) is a game made with the purpose of appealing to people's nostalgia for the retro gameplay and style of a specific series.

Apparently Nintendo registered the domain supermario4.com

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By FreakAche

What do you guys think that a potential Super Mario 4 would have to entail for the name to be warranted and not just be a cheap marketing gimmick? I'm sort of cynical going into this because I fail to see how any new game could be any more worthy of being called "Super Mario 4" than Super Mario World, New Super Mario Bros, and New Super Mario Bros Wii already were. I would honestly be more excited if they were to announce Super Mario World 2 (err... 3 I guess?), as that would at least imply a massive game with tons of levels and multiple routes.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By DeF

I found one piece of speculation on NeoGAF quite interesting and very likely: they turned the New Super Mario bros Mii demo for Wii U from last E3 and turned it into Super Mario 4 to emphasize the 4-player aspect again. Nintendo isn't one for subtlety^^

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By JJOR64

@DeF said:

I found one piece of speculation on NeoGAF quite interesting and very likely: they turned the New Super Mario bros Mii demo for Wii U from last E3 and turned it into Super Mario 4 to emphasize the 4-player aspect again. Nintendo isn't one for subtlety^^

I could believe that. I guess we will have to wait till E3 to see what this game is.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#4  Edited By JasonR86

Huh.

...I wish I could add more but I don't really know what else to say about this.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Video_Game_King

Maybe it's a Super Mario World remake?

kurtbro900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By kurtbro900

It could be mega man 9 style and go back to the artwork of super mario brothers 3.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Gaff

@DeF said:

Nintendo isn't one for consistent numbering either, it seems.

For all the flack Square Enix rightfully gets for letting the Final Fantasy brand get diluted, Nintendo seems to be doing the same.

@FreakAche said:

What do you guys think that a potential Super Mario 4 would have to entail for the name to be warranted and not just be a cheap marketing gimmick. I'm sort of cynical going into this because I fail to see how any new game could be any more worthy of being called "Super Mario 4" than Super Mario World, New Super Mario Bros, and New Super Mario Bros Wii already were. I would honestly be more excited if they were to announce Super Mario World 2 (err... 3 I guess?), as that would at least imply a massive game with tons of levels and multiple routes.

Isn't Yoshi's Island DS technically Super Mario World 3, since Yoshi's Island was Super Mario World 2? And I guess Mario Galaxy 2 already has a similar level structure to Super Mario World, or New Super Mario Brothers Wii...

Oh, God, my head hurts.

jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8  Edited By jonnyboy

Why Nintendo made a 4 Player Mario game that resembles Mario Brothers 3 and called it 'New Super Mario Brothers 'Wii' instead of just 'Mario Brothers 4' baffles me.

I'm just thankful is wasn't 'New Super Mario Brothers Wii Doki Doki Final Extra Revengence Excite!'

ArcadeHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ArcadeHero

After I heard about Mega Man 9 I figured it was only a matter of time before we saw a Super Mario 4.

Also, looking through the NosCon page, there seems to be a lot of confusion with the difference between a NosCon and a Franchise Reboot.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Make the co-op play similar to Rayman Origins, and I'll be happy. New Super Mario Bros. Wii is one of the most frustrating multiplayer experiences ever.

efman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By efman

Even though it seems highly unlikely, I really hope we'll get some word on what the next Mario game will be at this year's E3 alongside the justification for Wii U, which will get a whole lot of air time.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By FreakAche

@efman said:

Even though it seems highly unlikely, I really hope we'll get some word on what the next Mario game will be at this year's E3 alongside the justification for Wii U, which will get a whole lot of air time.

I think it would be kind of cool if Nintendo used their core franchises to justify the existence of the WiiU. People always complain about Mario and Zelda games getting stale, but if they used those franchises to justify the existence of the WiiU, sort of like what the Mii franchise did with the Wii, that could help to shake things up. If they came out and announced Four Swords 3 as the next Zelda game and also revealed Super Mario 4 to be a Four Swords-esque game, I think that would be an awesome way for them to adhere to the core concepts of those franchises, and yet still offer something new.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#13  Edited By Kidavenger

The domain was registered in 2007, I wouldn't read too much into it.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By august

FWIW Super Mario World was subtitled Super Mario 4 in Japan.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By FreakAche
    Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Gaff

@Kidavenger said:

Domain Name.......... supermario4.com
    Creation Date........ 2007-03-22 Registration Date.... 2012-04-03 Expiry Date.......... 2013-03-22 Hmm, conundrum. Guess we'll know at E3?
    LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#17  Edited By LordAndrew

This is something companies do. I don't expect any thing to come of this. We already got Super Mario Bros. 4 over twenty years ago.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DeF

@Gaff said:

For all the flack Square Enix rightfully gets for letting the Final Fantasy brand get diluted, Nintendo seems to be doing the same.

how so?

@jonnyboy said:

Why Nintendo made a 4 Player Mario game that resembles Mario Brothers 3 and called it 'New Super Mario Brothers 'Wii' instead of just 'Mario Brothers 4' baffles me.

because they had just made gazillions off of New Super Mario Bros on DS (and they still are!) so they went the safe route (=dumbing the name down as much as possible so EVERYBODY gets that it's like the other game they bought "for that gameboy machine with the 2 screens")

@Kidavenger said:

vital information like that always gets overlooked for some reason ...

same thing happened when they renewed the Eternal Darkness trademark a few years ago ... teh internetz went nuts!

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#19  Edited By Yanngc33

@LordAndrew said:

This is something companies do. I don't expect any thing to come of this. We already got Super Mario Bros. 4 over twenty years ago.

This. Sony does it all the time and people get all excited about it. This doesn't mean anything

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By FreakAche

@Yanngc33 said:

@LordAndrew said:

This. Sony does it all the time and people get all excited about it. This doesn't mean anything

I certainly agree. I posted this to the NosCon forum, because I think this is all a little silly. But still, I think the whole question of, "what would you want a Super Mario 4 to be?" is a fun thing to think about.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#21  Edited By LordAndrew

Oh, I don't know. Surely Nintendo couldn't possibly outdo Sega's fine work on Sonic the Hedgehog 4. (Or in other words, I'm not sure it could live up to the legacy of the original numbered installments.)

efman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By efman

@FreakAche Totally agree with that as a "what if" scenario. It's just such a shame that, ever since the launch of the Wii, they've never come out strong with a set of games that truly sell the very concept of their philosophies said console trades upon. The games that truly come into their own require a whole lot of time and effort that isn't being excercised prior to launch, when early adopters are hungry for their darlings. It could be argued that this holds true to any system launch as there is a temptation of holding back on as many marquee titles as possible as a means of testing the waters in an effort to stimulate sale solely on the strength of the hardware.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#23  Edited By Dagbiker

@Video_Game_King said:

Maybe it's a Super Mario World remake?

You mean Super Mario 3D World?

sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24  Edited By sickVisionz

@FreakAche said:

But still, I think the whole question of, "what would you want a Super Mario 4 to be?" is a fun thing to think about.

A 3DS or 3D enabled game that plays like some mystery game that came out after Mario 3 but before Super Mario World. I wanted it to be like the craziest NES game ever made with 20 layers of 3D enabled parallax scrolling and Miyamoto and every other designer to work on a 2D Mario game locked in a room to make levels for a year so that we end up with some impossibly long like 200+ stage game

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.